• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

If you build it, they will come....but...will you go and watch?

[h=1]http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/technology/formula-e-is-this-the-future-of-motor-racing/

Formula E: Is this the future of motor racing?[/h]By Sam // September 10, 2013

Formula E is a brand new FIA championship featuring open wheel cars powered exclusively by electric energy.
The FIA hopes that it represents a vision for the future of the motor industry over the coming decades, serving as a framework for research and development around the electric vehicle, accelerating general interest in these cars and promoting sustainability. Commencing in September 2014, the Championship will compete in the heart of 10 of the world’s leading cities – including London, Beijing and Los Angeles – racing around their iconic landmarks.

I'm sure it has it's positives and negatives, but I wouldn't get amped up about it.

Last edited:
There is something about watching professional motorsports in person, where the aural assault is in full swing, that would be totally missing and weird watching an e-car race.

Then again, watching the Audi turbo diesels whoosh by, rather than scream by, was pretty cool.

Nah, having experienced loud, louder, loudest internal combustion race cars, I can't imagine it being the same spectacle without the noise (in spite of the visual implication of using the word "spectacle"). There is nothing quite like a pack of angry F1 cars going by (the V8s are cool, but the V10's, my-oh-my, makes the hair on your arms stand up).

But, pure electric automobiles (including race cars) are probably inevitable, much like today's supercars using hybrid technology to push near or over 1,000 HP. Sigh. Color me old and nostalgic.

Last edited:
With all that wattage, they can probably hook up some pretty sweet speakers to push out roaring engine sounds.

The Puns used in this thread are halarious.

With all that wattage, they can probably hook up some pretty sweet speakers to push out roaring engine sounds.

How true. At a supercar sunday, I was walking, a Tesla roadster was behind me did that. Sounded like a F1 car....scare the crap out of me.:sneakiness:

make em sound like the 'TRON' race vehicles still not as good but different

Oh yeah and put the lights on there too and race only at night. Electrify the audience.

Read the article in the current RACER magazine. Some venues have already changed since the initial announcement which does not bode well.

On the othe hand, some of the supposedly confirmed teams (Andretti Autosport, Dragon and Super Aguri) give the series legitimacy.

Back