• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Individual Throttle Body Goodness

That Kakimoto NSX airbox looks really cool. I agree that there's a lot of math in a good design. You want the airspeed in the trumpets to get as high as possible without restricting the flow and the airspeed is determined, for the most part, by cylinder displacement, rpm, and the diameter of the trumpets. Then you want the trumpets to resonate and boost torque at a certain rpm so if you've fixed their diameter, you can vary their lengths to achieve that.

Pulses also play a role. When an intake valve closes and air stops flowing into a cylinder, a pressure pulse bounces off the back of the intake valve and travels back up the trumpet. If that pulse reaches the intake valve of another cylinder just before it closes, it will push more air into that cylinder – which you want. Designing the airbox to take advantage of the pulses given the shape and length of the intake trumpets requires math. But you should go further than that. I believe that optimally, you want the walls of the airbox to be at least a certain distance from the trumpet bellmouths (1/2 their diameter?). The plenum should be shaped so that it feeds an even amount of air into all the trumpets given where the entrance opening is. Also, the airbox can resonate and give your engine a torque boost at a certain rpm, similar to what the trumpets do, if designed correctly. That rpm is determined by its Helmholz frequency, I believe, which is a function of the plenum's volume and the cross sectional area and length of its inlet piping.

Assuming you know at which rpm a stock airbox gives a torque boost, if you keep everything else in the engine the same, you can play with the Helmholz resonance of the airbox to boost torque at a different rpm. Moving the air filter further away from the airbox increases the length of the vibrating air column in the inlet pipe and therefore decreases the resonant frequency and rpm at which the airbox gives a torque boost. You can calculate that with a simple formula. Increasing the diameter of the inlet pipe or the volume of the airbox has a similar effect.

If you change other factors as well such as when the inlet valves open and close, how much air the cylinders inhale, the length and shape of the intake runners/trumpets, etc., you will have changed several variables and I think it's going to be really difficult to design an optimal airbox without complex CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) software and/or empirical testing. Engines can often produce more horsepower with an optimal airbox than if they just inhale cool air from the atmosphere. However, juggling all the design variables to make that happen in reality is not a trivial task.

I'd image that companies that design intake manifolds for a living have the CFD software to design a good airbox if you give them information about your setup (displacement, firing order, cam timing, trumpet length and orientation, etc.) and your design goals (maximum rpm and the desired torque characteristics). I wonder what someone like Wilson Manifolds would charge for that.

I have gone through all of the math and CFD years back on designing a proper intake manifold plenum utilizing ITBs. I would estimate that given proper working knowledge (which I do not have anymore), as well as the design tools necessary, 200 hours of design and simulation would not be out of the question. Add into this fabrication times, upcharges for CFD analysis and design expertise, I don't see $25-35k being out of the question. I may even be a little low on my estimate.

I would love to get back into this field of design but unfortunately just do not have the time or the workshop space for prototyping as I used to academically.

I just called up Wilson Manifolds and they said they could design and produce a custom, one-off manifold for an NSX for about $5500-6000. When designing the manifold, they would optimize the shapes, volumes, resonances, etc. for your specific engine and your intended usage (at what rpm you want to maximize power). That would be for a complete manifold including the runners. The price for an optimized airbox alone should be lower, I'd think.

Not as purdy as jeff's but it's got a bigger engine. ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kI_iD5kttjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I got a headache looking at that video.

The camera man shoot up on french roast coffee 5 times before taking this video?

I'm curious what's the reliability of driving itbs as far as distance is concerned . Would any of you itb guys drive lets say greater than 100 miles?? Or even cross country??

I got a headache looking at that video.

The camera man shoot up on french roast coffee 5 times before taking this video?

Ha…working on a more professional shoot. Better than nothing though.

I'm curious what's the reliability of driving itbs as far as distance is concerned . Would any of you itb guys drive lets say greater than 100 miles?? Or even cross country??

Of course. No issues. I've drove mine from Tulsa to KC, OKC, or Dallas several times. For a cross country trip, I'd be sure to adjust them but I wouldn't have an issue.

Adjusting the linkages or adjusting the tune??

Adjusting the linkages or adjusting the tune??

yes I am quite curious as well.

From what I've heard on an ITB'd vehicle the tune needs to be adjusted when changing altitudes and temperatures vary drastically. Is there any merit to this claim? How I view ITB's on an ECU controlled setup, is the ECU can still control AFR variables to a degree when air density / ambient temps / and elevation change. I am brand new to the ITB world so if someone could explain it better please do. Or do the linkages just need to be adjusted every so often as far as WOT / fully closed calibrations? Iv'e always assumed once a near perfect tune has been achieved just the linkages need to be monitored?

If you manage to mount a MAP sensor you wont have to adjust for altitude or other pressure differentials.
I remember i saw some ways to do it on L4 engines, not sure how it would be setup on our V6, that involves having a measurement tube mounted across the intakes. How are the existing ITB kits, do they allow for MAP relocation ? Another option is to take a sample on just one ITB and assume all cylinders would flow the same...

Back