• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Interesting Welds in trunk....and repaint

Prospective new owner here, why would this have been repainted and re welded? No accidents on car fax and no other visible evidence of damage, just a driven hard worn NSX.

Link to video showing area in question

Prospective new owner here, why would this have been repainted and re welded? No accidents on car fax and no other visible evidence of damage, just a driven hard worn NSX.

Link to video showing area in question
Just watched this video. Those seams are not factory. Compare to my car below. It could either be that the car was hit in the rear and they replaced the rear clip, or that it was a race car and had this section cut out for something like an accusump or methanol injection. Carfax on the NSX is pretty much worthless. Many shady owners will have a shop repair a major collision under the table for cash. It's never reported. Based on the video, that car has had a major structural repair in the past.

Screenshot 2023-04-10 105508.png

I would also check that the VIN numbers stamped on the rear firewall is the same as the one's on the other parts of the NSX.

This would tell if the rear end was replace with another NSX.....Since most don't know that the VIN is stamped on the firewall.

Bram

I would also check that the VIN numbers stamped on the rear firewall is the same as the one's on the other parts of the NSX.

This would tell if the rear end was replace with another NSX.....Since most don't know that the VIN is stamped on the firewall.

Bram
Vins match!

I would try to rule out VIN switch shenanigans too. Let's see close up's of the Federal sticker and public VIN too.

You're gonna need some hi-res still images of the areas around the rear VIN, inside and out. You really should look at a perfect NSX so you can see where the differences are. A video converted to a GIF isn't going to fly in this circumstance.

This NSX has likely had some bodywork, the question is what was the intent to deceive or repair?

I would try to rule out VIN switch shenanigans too. Let's see close up's of the Federal sticker and public VIN too.

You're gonna need some hi-res still images of the areas around the rear VIN, inside and out. You really should look at a perfect NSX so you can see where the differences are. A video converted to a GIF isn't going to fly in this circumstance.

This NSX has likely had some bodywork, the question is what was the intent to deceive or repair?
Upon further review, vins match, zero other evidence of damage. Only thing we can think of is engine out service went awry or something jammed in trunk.

This car sold on BAT in may for 66,500. Sigh

Very rare for a VIN switch to NOT have matching VINs.

The NSX doesn't have a strap number. And I don't believe there are any other secondaries, not even informal, other than the firewall.

Some manufacturers will secrete the build slips into car as it is assembled...makes It very handy to identify the car through secondary means. The Honda folks were too conscientious apparently.

NHTSA mylars were introduced in 2000 or so...can't remember the exact date, I've gotten old.

Any time a VIN area is tampered with, it should raise suspicions.

^^^^^^^^ Gospel.

Drew must be retired from the New Zealand Federal Auto Theft Unit!

Back