• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is the NC1 Cheaper in Canada? Check out the comparisons

There has been talk about whether or not it is cheaper to purchase the NC1 in the USA or Canada, or even here in Japan.
Take a look at the comparisons in prices. Maybe it will make you want to visit the Great White North if you're on the fence.

For this comparison, we will use the same specs all around at base.

CANADA:
View attachment 167754
= 148,284.95 USD

USA:
View attachment 167755
Smg73Cksst0AAAAASUVORK5CYII=

= 207,477.48 Canadian Dollar
Japan:
View attachment 167756

Safe to say that Japan is the most expensive (in relation to importing the NSXs and converting them to Right Hand Drive).

In Canada, dealers are not allowed to mark up cars. Meaning that price will be the price you can get from the dealer. Though sometimes they will say that you will need to purchase the car with a package you may not need. Though if you place it on order, they will abide to your request.

In the USA, mark up is definitely known. meaning, that you'll be looking at around $190,000 USD.

It may not be that simple

I looked at buying my LC 500 convertible in Canada

1. Canadian dealer I spoke with said they are not allowed to sell new vehicles to someone in the US
2. I seem to recall some Canadian tax to pay
3. Import duty
4. Pain in the ass to get it here
5 Gave up and purchased one in the US

It may not be that simple

I looked at buying my LC 500 convertible in Canada

1. Canadian dealer I spoke with said they are not allowed to sell new vehicles to someone in the US
2. I seem to recall some Canadian tax to pay
3. Import duty
4. Pain in the ass to get it here
5 Gave up and purchased one in the US

#1 is probably open to some clarification. The dealer probably will not ship the car to a US based customer. A US resident can probably pop across the border (pre Covid 19) and purchase one from a showroom - if there was one in a showroom. Placing an order might be interesting. At minimum you would have to be prepared to take delivery of it in Canada.
#2 yes there would be GST, PST or HST to pay on purchase. Depending on where you purchase it you can apply for a rebate of the PST (HST and GST I am less sure about) when the vehicle leaves the province where it is purchased.
#3 Under NAFTA (or whatever the US - Can - Mex thing is called these days) I don't think there is any duty since it is a North American vehicle. There may be taxes and transaction charges.
#4 With Covid 19 - absolutely. Even without Covid dealers will not be set up to sell and deliver new cars into the US because the next item is a giant wet blanket

You missed the biggest problem. Vehicle warranties are generally non transferable. US Honda will not honor Honda Canada warranties (and vice versa). VIN numbers don't even make it across the border. My 2000 is a US market vehicle. Years ago I asked my local dealer if my VIN showed any maintenance history. Their short answer was no because the VIN came up as invalid.

Yah, I stopped at 5 points.

I know about the warranty issue, not a small issue.

When I looked up the process I did see something about having to pay to import into the US.

The car I was looking at was in BC so going up and getting it was a no for me.

I believe the Lexus was also considered a gas guzzler and that tax would have to be paid in CA.

Back