• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

is this a relay problem ?

Hi guys,
This morning my wife tried to start her car up but it won't start. Its crank but won't rollover. None of the gauges or switch in the car is working (temp. battery. power window, power seats. etc...) I checked thhe spark plugs there none of them have fire. I also checked the main fuse box fuses are okay. Can someone tell me what could be the problem maybe Relay?

I am assuming 'her car' is an NSX? If your reference to 'relay' means the main EFI relay, a main EFI relay failure will not result in non operation of the gauges or other equipment . Your problem sounds more like a partial failure of the ignition switch which is a common failure point as the car gets older. There are lots of things that could cause this particular problem; but, the ignition switch is where I would start looking.

Go to the NSX Prime library and you can find links to the service manual. In the Electrical section of the SM it will tell you how to access and remove the ignition switch and how to test it. Replacement switches are not particularly expensive. If the car is more than 25 years old I would replace the switch on a pre-emptive basis just because they are a wear item, just like you should replace the main EFI relay (or at least resolder the connections) because they are a known ageing problem.

Back