• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Like old aircraft? Awesome collection in FL w/pics

I thought I'd share about a place I visited yesterday. Since people from all over find themselves in Orlando eventually (it seems anyway), you might be interested in this too. Personally, I love this place.

It's called Fantasy of Flight. It's a private collection situated off I-4 about halfway between Orlando and Tampa. I almost called it a museum, but it's really not. Many of the planes here are maintained in workable condition and flown as the owner (54 year old Kermit Weeks) gets the urge. It's an amazing place.

It opens with an immersion environment that's fun if maybe a bit hokey. Nice walk through several fuselage sections and this bomber. I like the "close enough to touch" stuff.
DSC_1488.JPG

DSC_1495.JPG

Leaving that behind, you are dumped right into the first of two large hangers that are stuffed with planes. You can wander around on the floor or an elevated walkway.
DSC_1568.JPG

DSC_1586.JPG

Wandering around, an amazing variety. I have an affinity for old warbirds.
DSC_1564.JPG

DSC_1595.JPG

All the planes have nice info plaque with added descriptions by the owner describing his personal experiences with the plane. Some are reproductions (these 2 for example). Note the drip pans - these planes are not just for looking at, he flies them.
DSC_1557.JPG

DSC_1563.JPG

There seemed to be no end to them. This thing was immaculate.
DSC_1582.JPG

Gorgeous Spitfire.
DSC_1583.JPG

There was a tram that took us to the engine storage building. Great tour guides! The guy has hundreds of old engines, some still in crates. Same for propellers.
DSC_1511.JPG

They took us around to various storage facilities. This is a Dauntless dive bomber waiting for restoration. Tons of rare and one-off aircraft here too.
DSC_1519.JPG

We got a tour of the wood shop where they restore wooden planes. The owner insists on accuracy so they use cotton and other period materials.
DSC_1617.JPG

Every day they take out a different plane and fly it around. Today was this ... whatever it is. According to the info sheet on it, its stall speed is 25 MPH. I know he got airborn in about 100 feet on a grass runway.
DSC_1650.JPG

There was also the maintenance shop. This P51 was in for a coolant leak. Apparently this is a VERY rare plane because it doesn't have a bubble canopy (I dunno, that's just what the guy said).
DSC_1535.JPG

Anyway, if you're ever in Orlando (or Tampa) and want to get off the beaten path a bit, this place is well worth the time. You could see most all in a couple hours, but we had no trouble spending about 4 hours. Admission is about $29.

Many more pics and larger resolutions from the trip can be found here.

http://sarasotadetail.com/gallery2/v/sarashows01/fof-080224/

Is this where NSXPO 2006 stopped by? I might be in Orlando in a few weeks and might check this place out. Maybe he'll even rent out that P-51.

The last P-51 looks to be a P-51B model. The P-51D has the bubble canopy. A lot of the C-models were turned into D models and a lot of the Bs were scrapped/shot down etc which is why they're more rare.

the corsair and the p-51 mustang, beautiful machines (besides their intended purpose of course):smile:

edit spitfires and hurricanes too. Used to spend weeks building those models.

The place looks incredible! And to have planes in working condition is just beyond belief.

I would also recommend the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, OH. Just walking through the museum takes about 2 hours and has some amazing displays of famous planes and ordnance.

If this is who I think it is...He is some billionare that owns these and he is also into some sort of health-related business (pills, potions, or something like that). I rep'd for a DVD/CD replication company and my boss met this guy and spent a lot of time with him and said he was real cool!
-Robert

Back