• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking at an NSX, what do you think it is worth? JH4NA1159NT000215

This is a little bit of an unusual situation, a chance to buy a somewhat "unloved" '92. I'm curious as to what the experts think on these mechanical issues, and what you think it may be worth.

'92

black on black

Odo shows less than 30K, but based on condition, I'd be a little suspicious. Haven't run Carfax to see what's there.

Zero records and no owner or maintenance history available.

Hasn't been registered in a year.

Trans number falls right in the middle of the snap gear problem range.

I looked at and drove the car, here's some of my observations:

1. Need to give it some throttle to get it to start.

2. AC non op. It blows, but not cold or cool.

3. Engine idles somewhat roughly, and when revved in neutral feels rough.

4. Clutch is either way out of adjustment, or dead. The car can move and get going, but there is major clutch slippage that makes it barely driveable.

5. Radio doesn't work.

6. Check engine and TCS lights on.

7. Oil pressure gauge seems like it's working b/c it moves, but very little. If it is accurate, it shows very low oil pressure, even when revved to 3K.

8. The paint and body are ok. Rear bumper needs some refinishing. Paint seems all original, doesn't seem to have any prior accident damage. Some small scratches, etc. I'd give overall paint and body a 7. Interior is a little dirty, but looks like would clean up. I'd give interior an 8. No fluid leaks, but engine and front compartment dirty. No spare tire.

So, what do you think the value is, how serious/common the mechanical issues are, and potential repair costs (both DIY (I have a lot of mechanical experience) and if handed to shop (I'm a little lazy these days!).

Re: Looking at an NSX, what do you think it is worth?

This is a little bit of an unusual situation, a chance to buy a somewhat "unloved" '92. I'm curious as to what the experts think on these mechanical issues, and what you think it may be worth.

'92

black on black

Odo shows less than 30K, but based on condition, I'd be a little suspicious. Haven't run Carfax to see what's there.

Zero records and no owner or maintenance history available.

Hasn't been registered in a year.

Trans number falls right in the middle of the snap gear problem range.

I looked at and drove the car, here's some of my observations:

1. Need to give it some throttle to get it to start.

2. AC non op. It blows, but not cold or cool.

3. Engine idles somewhat roughly, and when revved in neutral feels rough.

4. Clutch is either way out of adjustment, or dead. The car can move and get going, but there is major clutch slippage that makes it barely driveable.

5. Radio doesn't work.

6. Check engine and TCS lights on.

7. Oil pressure gauge seems like it's working b/c it moves, but very little. If it is accurate, it shows very low oil pressure, even when revved to 3K.

8. The paint and body are ok. Rear bumper needs some refinishing. Paint seems all original, doesn't seem to have any prior accident damage. Some small scratches, etc. I'd give overall paint and body a 7. Interior is a little dirty, but looks like would clean up. I'd give interior an 8. No fluid leaks, but engine and front compartment dirty. No spare tire.

So, what do you think the value is, how serious/common the mechanical issues are, and potential repair costs (both DIY (I have a lot of mechanical experience) and if handed to shop (I'm a little lazy these days!).

Based on the above, I would not pay more then $15k for this NSX. From the above list alone, you will need at least $10k to get it mechanically correct, let alone cosmetically.

Based on the above, I would not pay more then $15k for this NSX. From the above list alone, you will need at least $10k to get it mechanically correct, let alone cosmetically.

Yeah save yourself the stress and find a nicer one.

(I'm a little lazy these days!)

Unless you're also a "lot rich", walk on. This NSX might make for a good project car, but as the others said, it will take a lot of dough to bring it up to a reasonable condition.

Even if you got it for $15K (and being an NSX, I'm guessing the seller will be asking for more), it will cost you $10K+ to get it right -- if you're lucky. With a little patience you can find a reasonably clean 91-94 in the $25-30K range.

Also, I looked at the repair wiki on this site, it doesn't have any discussion on replacing the clutch.

It looks like to replace disc, pp, flywheel and throwout is around $1300 in parts?

Is there anything unusual about clutch replacement? I've replaced lots of clutches, including on mid and rear engined cars.

What concerns me most is the low oil pressure registering on the dash gauge.

Are these gauges normally reliable?

To help me get an idea of what 91/92s really go for, any thoughts on why this car got no offers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991...3963171?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3cbb830323

Seems like a fairly nice, low mileage example, at a low price.

I remember that vehicle, there was some brief discussion on it here: http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152414&highlight=jh4na1157mt002866

From my brief bit of time looking at NSX's, it seems they aren't exactly like any other vehicles when it comes to sales. There are specific people who are looking to buy a specific car and the sale goes down when those two things meet. Seems like a car can happily sit on the market for months and then *POOF* it gets scooped up when the right owner comes along.

Could just be there wasn't anyone in the area looking for that color combo, or it could be that it was in rougher shape than the eBay listing revealed. Or maybe that black/white NSX did sell and that is why the auction ended. Or maybe someone called the guy rather than placing a bid to arrange a purchase.

For me, I have been getting a "ballpark" price by running through the Sales forum on this website and making a giant spreadsheet with dates, VINs and sale prices. Kinda dorky, but that's how I roll. Perhaps that will help you get a feel for a "comfortable" price. Just my 2 cents.

The car I described above in the first post sold today at a bankruptcy auction in California for $13,300.

It hasn't been registered for a year or more, so if it gets registered in California I think there will be some back registration fees, penalties, etc.

On further inspection, the car has been completely repainted. A good job, though. But you can see the tape off lines in the door jambs and other places.

I have a lot of mechanical and automotive experience, but mostly with Porsche and some Ferrari. I'm also very familiar with the market for those cars, and what buyers look for, are scared off by, etc. and what the cars are worth.

I've never owned a Japanese car, and I know very little about the NSX market. For example, for an 80s or 90s Ferrari, a complete repaint and a lack of any service records makes a car very difficult to sell. Porsche buyers aren't quite as picky. NSX buyers? I doubt as freaky as Ferrari buyers, but complete repaint and lack of any records seems like a negative to anyone.

That, and being in the Snap Ring range, made me have to be conservative on how much I would pay. I would have gone to $10K, maybe a little more. But $13K blew me out of the water.

Anyways, for future reference, the VIN on the car is:

JH4NA1159NT000215

The trans is J4A4-1004578

So, that ends my brief foray in to the NSX world. I've always thought they are super interesting cars, and you guys look like you are having a lot of fun with them!

appreciate the follow up post and VIN number. I suspect we will see that car in the marketplace at some point and it is nice to have the history.

Congrats on NOT buying an NSX for super cheap. Well done. Someone else probably got a great deal.

WOW! This is my car. Here is the story.

The car was non op since June of 2009, so I'm not surprised by some of the comments from OP.

Car was originally owned by a guy named Leonard Tachner who filed for chapter 7. It was then auctioned off and bought by Mark Bistany's (ex Puddle of Mudd drummer) lawyer, who then signed it over to Mark. I bought the car from Mark on Oct. 6th. in Studio City California.

Prior to my purchase, Mark got new rotors and brakes, replaced the wiper blades, new tires, new clutch set including master/slave cylinder, and a bolt for the right fender. I have all records from Center Acura in Studio City.

The car had a PPI performed by John Rodriguez (NSX tech) from Center Acura. The PPI revealed a few things. For example, small accident on front right side, rear bumper cover change, missing spare tire, bad stereo amps, CCU only worked on high/low, missing screw driver in tool kit, old style water pump, and a few minor wear and tear problems. The only one I was concerned about was that it fell right in the middle of the snap ring range.

John immediately pointed out the accident areas, but assured me that the car suffered zero frame damage and was in fact pretty "clean." He raised the car to show me the underside. Besides the dust, the car looked like it was never driven in the rain (it was pretty darn clean). All suspension was 100% original. John and the other tech on duty actually recommended the purchase due to the low mileage, super clean interior, and overall condition of the body and paint.

Contrary to what the OP originally posted, the car was NOT completely painted. The front right fender, front bumper, and rear bumper cover were painted. Otherwise, with the exception of a few minor scratches, the paint and body are in really good shape.

Since I bought the car, I've put in a decent amount of money to make sure things are proper (replaced all belts, gaskets, fluids, plugs, oil, water pump/tb, engine shocks, trunk shocks, CCU repair by Brian from Prospeed, and Toda Coilovers). I didn't get the car at an auction price like the OP could have. I paid market value. Now that I know how much it was auctioned for, I feel a little ripped off. I've invested a pretty penny into the car already.

However, in the end, my car runs perfectly now and I don't plan on selling it. Zero regret...she's in good hands now.

Last edited:
Congrats! Do you have anymore pictures? What was the mileage on the car when you got it?

So the Puddle Of Mudd guy bought it, sunk a bunch of cash into it, and then sold it immediately?

Congrats! Do you have anymore pictures? What was the mileage on the car when you got it?

So the Puddle Of Mudd guy bought it, sunk a bunch of cash into it, and then sold it immediately?

On the day of the PPI, the mileage registered at 25,411. Carfax showed the car was last registered in June 2009 at 25,224. Car was never registered by Mark. I had to pay $1189 in registration fees.

He did drop a couple of grand into the car, largely due to the clutch and brakes (probably wouldn't have been able to sell it otherwise). However, with his deeply discounted purchase price, he still more than doubled his money off me. I was obviously a little upset after reading this thread and finding out the auction price, but can't really blame him for making a quick buck.

In the few short hours of talking to him, he seemed like a huge car enthusiast (owning 9 total). 7 of which are American Muscle cars (including his prized Cuda), a Mercedes, and a Lambo Murcielago. Can't really say why he sold the car. Easy money (maybe), no interest in NSXs (possibily), not mint enough (maybe).

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0245.jpg

IMAG0242.jpg

Shiftknob.jpg

26k.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0297.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

Last edited:
STEAL of a lifetime. I love how picky the NSX community is in general that they let cars with minor mechanical issues slip through the cracks. A friend of mine grabbed a car with a similar story 2 years ago for $18k. It was worth 30k all day long with a little bit of wrenching and a couple of touch ups on the paint.
It's amazing how a few stone chips can devalue a car..

Back