• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mobil 1 or New Mobil 1 Extended Performance

I have been using Mobil 1 in all my cars for years and generaly change my oil between 3K to 4K miles. I know this is over kill but it makes me feel good. I needed to buy some more Mobil 1 to put on the shelf and noticed that they have added a new product since the last time I purchased it (Mobil 1 Extended Performance). The label says it is specialy formulated for cars with extended "factory" service intervals such as BMW. I was wondering if this new product would be any better than the standard Mobil 1 for my NSX so I checked the Mobil web site and learned that it contains 50% more SuperSyn, 36% more anti-ware additives, and 37% more cleaning agents. All this and it is only $3.00 more a 5 quart jug at WalMart. I haven't used it yet but was wondering if anyone here thinks this is either a good or bad idea and if so why? I know more is not always better. I still plan on changing it at the 3K mile interval though.

BTW the Mobil web site http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Rewards/Mobil_1_Rewards.aspx has a new Mobil 1 Rewards program that gives you points toward free goodies for each 6 quarts you buy of either of there Mobil 1 products. You need to register for this program BEFORE you make a purchase that qualifies.

NSXSOON said:
was wondering if anyone here thinks this is either a good or bad idea and if so why?
I don't know any more than you. However, if the Extended Performance is designed for those who wait long intervals between oil changes, and the regular Mobil 1 is designed for those who don't, then... ;)

NSXFreak00 said:
Does everyone use Mobil 1 Synthetic?
Everyone? No. However, from discussions with other NSX owners, I believe that most NSX owners use synthetic oil, and the overwhelming majority of those who do, use Mobil 1.

Around here, both Costco and Sam's Club sell Mobil 1 in the 10W30 viscosity that is recommended for the NSX, for around $25 for a case of six quarts. The NSX oil change uses 5.3 quarts; don't forget to save the leftover partial quart for next time.

One nice thing about using a viscosity (10W30) that is different from what most cars use these days (5W30 or 5W20) is that most dealers and independent mechanics don't stock 10W30 synthetic. They are usually more than happy if you buy the oil yourself (which saves you money) and bring it to them to change.

Just to say that a 3K interval for an oil/filter change is very much overkill even for normal oil much less Mobil 1. You could easily go to 5K intervals and not see any difference if protection with this oil and save money and the environment as well. I know most of the used oil is recycled but remeber that takes energy and the making of the oil orginally takes energy and resources which we are growing steadliy short of. I also use Mobil 1 10/30w and have had no problems with it but I change at 5K intervals for all my cars.

Good luck and good choice of product.

I use Mobil One for all my cars but use very different change intervals. I change the 911 and the NSX once per year, in the fall prior to storage, and the miles could be very low (2,000) for the driving season. The Saab just recieved it's first oil change at 15K miles. The Saab is factory filled with Mobil One and I waited for the light to tell me it was time to change. On newer cars a high mile interval with Mobil One is not uncommon. My Boxster had an interval of 15K miles and I believe that the 05 is now closer to 20K miles. Iif the manufacture states that it's ok then I defer to the manufactures Engineers.

I agree with that what the manufacturer recommends should be a good basic guide line. Manufacturing specs. and oil have both improved dramatically to allow for this I'm sure.

I was urged to use Royal Purple synthetic. The NSX tends to have a tapping noise; by engine design as I understand it. I had hoped the Royal Purple would quiet this down a bit. I don't notice any substantial difference.

I was hoping to get some technical insight on the pros and cons of the two Mobil 1 fomulations when used on a short 3K to 4K change interval. Any chemical or perto engineers that can weigh in on this?

May be a bit off topic, but has somebody heard of damage of engines related to a wrong(?) choice of oil.

In The Netherlands once a comparising was made between high rated oil and let's say supermarked (no name) oil and they found out, there was no difference in quality :redface:

my opinion after working for honda in a dealership for 15 years as a tech and owning my own shop for 6 years is that the interval for oil changes in the manual is because of goverment regulations based on the impact on the environment. That being said it really doesnt matter if it is synthetic or not. It needs to be changed at least every 3000 miles because of contamination from the internal combustion engine or based on time. Have you ever seen the inside of a motor with 100,000 miles with the oil changed every 7500 like most owners manuals say? It isnt pretty.

I just got my Mobil 1 dollars posted to my Mobil 1 rebate account. I had submitted a purchase of 2 five quart containers and 2 single quarts (the equivilent of 2 cases) and Mobil posted a $10.00 rebate credit to my account!
I think I will have them send me a couple of there Mobil 1 ball caps. Not bad for oil I would have bought anyway.

Synthetic oils last longer than conventional oils to begin with, besides being techically superior in operative performance. I dunno about the "extended performance" stuff, besides the obvious increase in prolonging additives. I use Mobil 1 too.

The 3 months, 3000 miles crap was brought to us by Jiffy Lube and other service interests who want us to overchange our oil. Nearly every manufacturer specifies a higher interval than this, including Honda, which has a 3750 for "severe service" life and 7500 for normal service. I would expect a synthetic to last probably double this.

Most engines are just not operating under severe conditions.

liftshard said:
Most engines are just not operating under severe conditions.

The FAQ says this:
Most cars are driven under "severe" conditions - in the case of the NSX that means either
driven hard (like a sports car) or driven infrequently with lots of stop-and-go traffic.

Also, what I've found on the web defines severe conditions as including trips under 10 miles, and temperatures below freezing or above 90 degrees.

I know most of my driving is in "severe" conditions.

Kinda off topic but still about mobil 1. Does anyone know the shelf life (if there is a such a thing) on Mobil 1? I've got tons of the pep boys buy three get three coupons for mobil1 and I am planning on buying a boatload before they expire, but I don't want to do it if oil sitting for a year is not considered a good thing. I've never heard that oil can go bad, but was curious if anyone else has heard otherwise.

Go for it. The stuff is in plastic bottles and should last the life of your car. Heat and use is what kills the oil and sitting on the shelf for a few years shouldn't make a bit of difference.

rbirling said:
The FAQ says this:
Most cars are driven under "severe" conditions - in the case of the NSX that means either
driven hard (like a sports car) or driven infrequently with lots of stop-and-go traffic.

Also, what I've found on the web defines severe conditions as including trips under 10 miles, and temperatures below freezing or above 90 degrees.

I know most of my driving is in "severe" conditions.

the 10 mile issue is about whether the car comes to nominal operating temperature before shutoff. This usu causes condensation of emissions vapors which is what eats up the cylinder walls.

I commute on a highway at highway speeds. Most of my driving isn't severe, on a mileage basis. But, I have been known to get into the rev limiter from time to time.

The 3 months, 3000 miles crap was brought to us by Jiffy Lube and other service interests who want us to overchange our oil.

I saw a stock report on one of the major oil change retail vendors, dont remember which, and they were saying that if they put alot of $$ in advertising and got people to change oil at 2,500 instead of 3,000 it would mean XXX more sales, etc, etc. So I would tend to agree alot of this is
just marketing and creating a perception in the uniformed public's mind.
Most enthusiasts do not go to Jiffy Lube, so they are dealing with a
neophyte buyer anyways. Same guys who bring your dirty air filter into the waiting room to show you it should be replaced.

NSXFreak00 said:
Does everyone use Mobil 1 Synthetic?

No, I used Mobil 1 synthetic for several years, no problems. But now I only use Royal Purple on our cars as they cost near the same. Never going to use Mobil 1 ever again.

nsxsupra said:
No, I used Mobil 1 synthetic for several years, no problems. But now I only use Royal Purple on our cars as they cost near the same. Never going to use Mobil 1 ever again.

y the change?

x

VBNSX said:
y the change?

x

I heard many recommendations and great reviews on Royal Purple, so I used my Supra turbo as genie pig, had good results, noticeable cooler egt displayed on my EGT gague, slight quicker T61 spool. The price was only $5 more for 5qt compare to mobil 1. So now I only use Royal purple for our cars even beaters. Seems like my NSX like it a lot, car has never ran smoother.

It is not necessarily better than Mobil 1. I just choose what works for me, don't take my words for it.

M1 extended performance(M1EP) is extended hype.
:eek:

Im running it right now on my supra TT. Last time i changed the oil, i let the car go a little longer then i normally would and changed the oil at 5K
Although the M1EP advertises 15,000 mile/1 year. DO NOT BUY INTO THIS HYPE.

My turbos spooled up very very slowly before i changed the oil and also the engine did not smooth at all and lacked power.

After the oil change it was a world of difference with quick spool up and better acceleration.

Although the car is a turbo and i drive it hard, i would not go above 3000miles on this oil. I still use it because of the extra
metallicblue.gif
.... $5 extra isnt a big deal in the overall picture.

But change at 3000 miles.

25$ in oil is always cheaper then a new engnine
bowrofl.gif

Just my expereince.

Gerard van Santen said:
May be a bit off topic, but has somebody heard of damage of engines related to a wrong(?) choice of oil.

In The Netherlands once a comparising was made between high rated oil and let's say supermarked (no name) oil and they found out, there was no difference in quality :redface:

I once used Valvoline Max life in My Caddilac STS northstar. It messed up my engine. Spun bearing. The journal holes in the caddilacs motor are very small and the thicker max life oil was not working into the smaller cracks and crevices.

I am using the Mobil 1 extended now. I don't like it. I will be switching back to original mobil 1

I thought the NSX took 5.2 quarts, not 5.3???
also, If you dont drive it enough to warrent several changes during the year, it should be done twice, once before the cold temps of winter and once after it. Cold temps break down the oil a bit and its just not worth taking the chance with the NSX. Also, most cars can likely do at least 5k, and maybe 7k with synthetic, but all my cars get changed at 3k. And filters usually will last 2 cycles, but again I change them on all my cars everytime. I drive em hard and again, for such a small price its just not worth it. I change it myself on my trucks, but pay for the NSX. Whenever I get a lift Ill do it myself though.

Back