• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My CTSC Nightmare... 56k Warning!

About the oil entering the motor issue. That amount of oil, can do damage to an engine. But not under normal(low load) driving conditions. Like Armando said, the motor will take care of that amount. However, higher load times, and specially with FI(even moreso with non intercooled FI), the introduction of oil in vapor form, or like in this case larger amounts, can indeed lead to detonation. Which none of us want..

From the looks of your dyno chart, you seem to be fine. Although, it would be interesting to see some compression test numbers just for reference.

Elite said:
About the oil entering the motor issue. That amount of oil, can do damage to an engine. But not under normal(low load) driving conditions. Like Armando said, the motor will take care of that amount. However, higher load times, and specially with FI(even moreso with non intercooled FI), the introduction of oil in vapor form, or like in this case larger amounts, can indeed lead to detonation. Which none of us want..

From the looks of your dyno chart, you seem to be fine. Although, it would be interesting to see some compression test numbers just for reference.

I don't have compression numbers on hand, but I do have a photo of the plug from cyl #4. These were new plugs when the CTSC with the oil leak was put on and driven ~1500 miles. Looks ok, to my mostly untrained eye. Can anyone comment?

Attachments

• cyl4Plug.JPG
    cyl4Plug.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 125
Nate@Comptech said:
If Comptech extended a replacement blower at no charge to everyone that had a problem, how would we recoup our money when it turned out to be customer or installer error?

Since you are the one that sells and markets this product you should have someone at Comptech qualified to make these calls.

Having to go to a third party makes me question if Comptech is qualified to be selling these products. Thats the first thing that pops in my head.

You have a respected name in the industry I dont think its unreasonable for customers to hold you to a higher standard.

I agree, I think Comptech handled this well.

TURBO2GO said:
I agree, I think Comptech handled this well.

When you consider the offer of the at cost blower to get him into something immediately, I agree.

But you definately have to have trust in the vendor. I would.

pbassjo said:
Going to a third party (independent and non-affiliated) vendor is the logical place to go when you want a second opinion. Do you think that if they had attributed this failure to owner/installer error. say for example too much silicone sealant when assembled or overfilled with oil, that it would have been accepted if it came from them?
Going to a thrid party makes it look as though you dont fully understand what you are doing. Considering the buyer bought the item from comptech and not the manufacturer of the SC.

How would you feel if your car starter died. The manufacturer of the car needed to send the item back to japan to have the manufacturer of the starter verify it could be replaced under warranty? Thats just plain silly. The tech at the dealership is given the power to make these decisions. If he's wrong then the dealership eats the cost and he probably wont have his job long if he always wrong. The burden is not pushed onto the customer.

Sounds as though Comptech doesn't have such a person.

pbassjo said:
Nate's post states that they (Comptech) had found that the "gasket material was so liberally applied that it was ingested into the unit."
Making double sure before they decided to deny the claim and ultimately deciding for the customer when they found unidentifiable "auxiliary contaminants" IS a higher standard.
The entire ordeal just sounds a little silly to me Comptech had already made the decision to treat the customer this way before they ever saw the unit. So there was no "making double sure". I'm glad it turned out the way it did.

Nate@Comptech said:
Brian,

It was explained to us that the gasket material was so liberally applied that it was ingested into the unit and caused the failure. It was only upon microscopic inspection where the manufacturer learned of the presence of auxilary contaminants. Since these contaminants could not be identified this was treated as a warrantable condition.
Nate Haines
Comptech
(888) 626-6783 x.112

So the service shop claimed that the problem came from install?

The Failure was found to be Warrantable by the manufacturer..they fixed it and it is performing very well.

Comptech has done their part to address the situation, some may think that they could have moved faster to resolve the issue. However it has been handled by Comptech and all affected parties are satisfied with the outcome.

There is no need to post negative comments on the topic.

JZ

pbassjo said:
Comptech admitted fault, don't blame the installer.
The installer stepped up to the plate and did a R&I of the unit, no small job, for free when it was not his fault. That's great customer care.
Judging by the recent dyno numbers it obvious that he did a perfect job.

It's over.

I know John did a good job with my car so it can't possibly be problem with the install with Brian's car. Otherwise, my CTSC might have the same problem. I

I'll have to rethink my thoughts of an SC kit at this time.

Sorry to hear about your problem. My CTSC is of the older variety. I have noticed that if I am not particular careful in topping the oil that I will get a spray on the inside window similar to what you experienced. I have been able to eliminate that as a problem by keeping the oil level at the lower end of the fill line. In your particular case you had a bad seal. I can say even with the seal not a problem I have experienced the oil spray. What I don't see is excessive oil else where. Anyway glad to see that they were able to verify the problem. I believe that Comptech is a great company. I met the owners when I had my SC installed at their faciltiy. Great people and I am confident that they will help you out. If it were not for them we would not have a lot of the aftermarket parts we so enjoy.
Manny

lutera said:
If I were you, I'd be mad too and I don't understand why any oil spraying is normal :eek:

I was thinkning about buying CTSC in near future. This may change things........

IMO there is no better company for FI. They have a long histiory of great products and great customer service. There are not may other options out there that have the backing comptech does.

Saber great to see you up and running!
MAtt

Back