• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My email got hacked

Hi Guys,
Some loser hacked my email. Google sent me this message a few days ago.
Excerpt "Someone recently tried to use an application to sign in to your Google Account, ******@pacbell.net. We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

Monday, October 22, 2012 11:16:05 PM GMT
IP Address: 2601:9:7480:1a:743b:2ca1:46b2:31e

Is there a way that I can nail this guy?
Thanks,
Steve

Same thing here but was with my yahoo account.
My account was used to send junk mail everyday in the middle of the night for a couple of days before I caught it. I only found out when some of my friends said my email sent them strange emails. I changed my password and ever since then its stopped.

Hi Guys,
Some loser hacked my email. Google sent me this message a few days ago.
Excerpt "Someone recently tried to use an application to sign in to your Google Account, ******@pacbell.net. We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

Monday, October 22, 2012 11:16:05 PM GMT
IP Address: 2601:9:7480:1a:743b:2ca1:46b2:31e

Is there a way that I can nail this guy?
Thanks,
Steve

That's not from Google and nobody hacked into your account. Someone is trying to hack in. Don't click on any links in that email. The first clue is that the IP address you posted is not a real IP address and the second clue came when I Googled:
"We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:"

A lot of people are getting this scam email.

The email I got from Google is legit. It basically warned me to change my password immediately but I did not read it until today. Today, people I know emailed me that I sent them spam.
Steve

The email I got from Google is legit. It basically warned me to change my password immediately but I did not read it until today. Today, people I know emailed me that I sent them spam.
Steve

Just make you sure you access Gmail by manually typing the URL in your browser and NOT via any links in an email.

There's a lot of spam going around with people's names as the sender but the incorrect email in the "From" field. Usually with the Subject "Hey Hugh". They all contain a link from some God forsaken country in the body.

I've seen that have to several people in the last 2-3 years.
Usually a shared password or weak password. Although I agree, what's above looks more like a trick to get you to click the link that will then give then load a virus.

But fyi - if you use the same password on another website(linkedin or something), and that website gets hacked, they can then feed your email and password from the hacked site into a programs that will then try it against other more valuable websites.

1. If you share passwords between accounts, you shouldn't do that.
2. If your bank or stock trading website have the same password, change it
3. Use complex, unique passwords and don't use password reminders like where you're born
4. If you're paranoid, like me, gmail has 2 factor authentication.

Last, there's no way to track them. An IP address is useless without a court order from a judge for the ISP to release who had the IP. And more than likely they're going through several proxies spanning several countries. AKA, you're not going to track them.

Last edited:
Back