• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NA1 NSX - check engine light tripping and rough at low RPMs?

I'm having an odd issue on my NA1 NSX and I was hoping folks here could weigh in. I got a check engine light on the highway a couple of months ago, pulled off and shut it down, and checked that all fluids were good, temp down, etc. I restarted the car which reset the error and the car seemed fine for months. The other day the light went back on when I was up in VTEC RPMs, but this time when I stepped down to 2500 the car started running rough and continued to sputter until I restarted it, at which point it was fine. I also find if I keep the revs under 4K the issue does not happen, and if it does keeping the revs high runs fine. I took it to my mechanic to decode the error, but unfortunately he doesn't have anything to connect to that port (OBD0 or OBD1?). My mechanic suspects something with the VTEC valve getting stuck, but without being able to read the code it's hard to say. If this sounds familiar to anyone please let me know. Also please confirm what I need to read the codes as they reset with the ignition, and I've yet to find anyone that has a tool for it. I also have my local Honda dealer checking with the service folks to see if they have a scan tool that can read it.

Thanks in advance!

Your mechanic clearly is not familiar with older Honda products. If you are going to rely on a mechanic for maintenance you might want to find someone who is moderately familiar with the NSX or at least older Hondas.

The tool for reading any stored error codes on an NSX (and other Honda products) with a pre OBDII ECU is a paper clip. Get a copy of the 1991 service manual from the Prime library
In the Fuel and Emissions section starting at page 11-10 you will find a description of the service check connector and the process for retrieving stored error codes by counting the flashes on the CEL. Page 11-12 has a list of the error codes.

The service check connector is stuck up around the top edge of the carpet in the passenger footwell. On some cars it is easy to find and on some cars it is kind of buried in stuff and may require that you pull the top of the carpet back a bit to find it. On my 2000 it was closer to the right side of the footwell and buried behind some other wires.

Unless you have other electrical problems with the car, the codes will not reset when you turn the key off. The codes only reset if you pull the clock fuse (ECU keep alive power) in the main relay box. Certain codes may not cause the CEL to illuminate when you restart; but, they should be stored and should display when you use the service check connector to display the codes. I think the ECU will store up to 3 error codes.

There is an error code if the Vtec oil pressure is insufficeint or the Vtec solenoid has a problem. However, if that occurs I believe the CEL will stay on permanently until the ECU is reset (if your car does not have other electrical problems). If the CEL was coming on and then going off, chances are you were experiencing a misfire. The ECU counts misfire events and if you exceed a certain number in a trip it will then illuminate the CEL continuously. If you do not exceed the threshold the event counting will reset when you turn the ignition off; but, the fact that you got a misfire should be stored in the memory. If the CEL ever starts flashing continuously that means a persistent misfire which may damage the catalytic converters.

Start by using the service check connector to trigger the display of the error codes and see where that takes you and perhaps look around for a different mechanic.

This could also be an O2 sensor problem. The rough running is because the ECU reverts to the base fuel maps with no lambda correction. The NSX will tell you what the problem is if you pull the codes like Old Guy said.

I took it to a tuner shop and we read the code. It's indeed a VTEC solenoid. If anyone has a good dealer for that please share. I'll go search myself and see if I can find an OEM part and replacement gasket. Nice to be sure before ordering parts.

This site is a gods send for getting info on these cars. I really appreciate all the help!

PS - I'm looking everywhere for the part # of the VTEC solenoid but I can't find a definitive source. If anyone can confirm that would be great.

Last edited:
Which error code? 21 / 51 which is the solenoid valve and 22/52 which is the oil pressure switch? A simple electrical test will confirm if the electrical portion of the solenoid has failed which would be a 21 / 51 error. However, your symptoms don't exactly jive with a solenoid failure. Solenoid failure just results in failure to engage VTEC. I think a 21 / 51 may trigger a 22 / 52 (not sure about that). Oil pressure problems can cause the rough running. If you have just a 22 / 52 error a more complete test procedure would involve a front or rear head pressure test. If the pressure is below spec, spool valve maintenance or replacement (which might include the solenoid) might be required. If the pressure is on spec then it might just be the switch.

It's a 21/51 error. I have a new solenoid arriving Today and my mechanic is installing next Tuesday. Will report back and confirm if this sorts it.

Thanks

Sadly the used replacement solenoid failed after about 100 miles. Does anyone know where I can find a new replacement, Part # 15810-PR7-A00?

Thanks in advance

Fred

Sadly the used replacement solenoid failed after about 100 miles. Does anyone know where I can find a new replacement, Part # 15810-PR7-A00?

Thanks in advance

Fred
Hello Fred, Ask your mechanic to check the resistance of the coil. It should be between 14 and 30 ohms.
I can send you another one, but I think that there is another problem. Did they read the code right ?

Attachments

• 20230831_155007_resized.jpg
    20230831_155007_resized.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 10
The code comes back the same as 2 / 1. I'd agree with you that something else may be causing this. I'll have him run the above test and see if that may be off.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted

Fred

Back