• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need a good stereo installer and mechanic in Chicago Area

Well the time has finally come to kiss the Bose speakers goodbye. I have been haunted by the wailing cry of dying amps long enough.

So, I have 3 Questions.

#1: Does anyone know a good high-end stereo installer in the Chicago area, with prior NSX experience?

#2: If I want to keep the stock head unit, does anyone have any suggestions (from experience) as to the preffered location for the components and best components (or NSX specific issues to keep in mind) to build a system.

#3: Where is the best place to bring my NSX for service, bodywork, and regular detailing?

Sorry for launching so many questions in one post, but I just recently moved here from the Philadelphia area. I'm sure most of you have your favorite mechanic, detailer, etc... and you can understand that I feel a bit lost right now, after leaving behind people I could trust with my NSX. (FYI- if you are ever in the philadelphia area and need help...I used Davis Acura. It is the only place that I have ever seen 6 NSXs on lifts, being modded to the nines. They know their stuff there.)

Thanks in advance,

Erik

ABT has a good reputation (check older topics in these Midwest section).

ABT installed my Alpine CD changer. The guys there told me they have worked on several NSXs in the past. They have worked on many exotics and a lot of local celebrities have taken their cars there (Sammy Sosa, Dennis Rodman to name a few). However, I don't think ABT will install anything not bought at their store (you may have to check on this). I'm sure they can give good advise about components and location.

For body and detailing, take it to The Last Detail.

Jim said:
ABT has a good reputation (check older topics in these Midwest section).

ABT installed my Alpine CD changer. The guys there told me they have worked on several NSXs in the past. They have worked on many exotics and a lot of local celebrities have taken their cars there (Sammy Sosa, Dennis Rodman to name a few). However, I don't think ABT will install anything not bought at their store (you may have to check on this). I'm sure they can give good advise about components and location.

For body and detailing, take it to The Last Detail.

ABT is very good....but you have to pay for it, just like anything. The stereo they designed for my M3 cost more than a used '02 Civic. :D

NSX Racer X said:
#3: Where is the best place to bring my NSX for service, bodywork, and regular detailing?
For service, there are two dealers in the Chicago area that do a lot of NSX service work, and both are recommended: Woodfield Acura (847-519-9550), in Hoffman Estates, northwest of the city, and Pauly Acura (847-433-8200), in Highland Park, north of the city.

Acura of Brookfield (800-383-3936), outside of Milwaukee, about 100 miles north, is outstanding as well; you don't need to go that far to find competent routine maintenance, but if you're considering complicated aftermarket performance modifications, such as installing a supercharger, they're the experts on that kind of work. Think of them as the "Davis Acura of the Midwest" (and we'll think of Davis as the "Acura of Brookfield of the Northeast").

As noted above, the Last Detail, in North Chicago, is highly recommended for body work and for regular detailing. It should be added that they are not cheap. They are the place to take your car if you want it done absolutely perfectly. It's one of those "you get what you pay for" things.

Incidentally, ABT, which is recommended above, is a totally unique and amazing store, and it's worth checking out. In addition to mobile electronics, they are THE place to buy home electronics (high end stereo and HDTV as well as stuff in all price ranges), home appliances (they are the largest dealer of Maytag, Kitchenaid, and most other such brands IN THE COUNTRY), home improvement projects, etc. Their prices are excellent, and the variety of brands and products is unequalled anywhere else. You should also be aware that their posted prices, while already excellent, are often negotiable, so you can get things for even less than they're posted. So while you're there asking about car stereo stuff, take a look around at the entire facility.

NSX Racer X said:
I just recently moved here from the Philadelphia area.
Welcome! Hope you'll join the NSX Club of America. We have a large group here, and have several events every year. Sorry you couldn't join us for our annual dinner last month (but not many did, thanks to a blizzard the previous day). We'll be having a big event this spring. Some of us go to GingerMan Raceway (140 miles from here) for Monday track events held by CGI Motorsports. Watch this forum for details about these and other events.

Ken is right about the two dealers in Chicago.....If your not going to brookfield you want to see them. However......A great deal in moble Hi-fi can be had by Andy at Buzz off in Florida (you won't do better on same item). There is a guy in the north burbs called Il Style Audio that will install what Andy sells. Does excellent work.....highly recomended! :cool:

PS Will sell you my old door speakers if you like :biggrin:

Back