• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R mesh engine cover measurements

Does anyone here have a Type-R mesh engine cover (authentic or reproduction) that would not mind taking and reporting some measurements off it for me?

I acquired a rear engine cover that had already been modified with all the fuzz sanded off, a trapezoid opening cut, and then painted bright red (see attached pic). I want to cut it out EXACTLY like a Type-R cover, add the wire mesh, then paint it flat black to put on my car. I want to make it authentic as possible (see other pic) so I need the measurements...or better yet, a paper pattern template of the cut-out opening that I could use to mark the opening to enlarge this one to.

Thanks in advance...

To make it a true "authentic" reproduction you will need the Type-R prop rod assembly. If you cut the oem cover to Type-R measurements you will not be able to remount the oem prop rod. Also you will find it difficult to keep the mesh from sagging over time in such a large opening.

I like your general idea though and you may be able to overcome these issues. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Use metal, not plastic, mesh to avoid sagging. Make sure you use a good adhesive to fix the mesh to the cover- one that can withstand heat cycles and weather/moisture. Maybe a black window caulk? SOS can probably send you a paper trace. As tof said, you will need to order the NSX-R prop bar from Honda- it is available.

To make it a true "authentic" reproduction you will need the Type-R prop rod assembly. If you cut the oem cover to Type-R measurements you will not be able to remount the oem prop rod. Also you will find it difficult to keep the mesh from sagging over time in such a large opening.

I like your general idea though and you may be able to overcome these issues. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Oh yeah, I'll end up with a prop rod like that...or some other similar idea.

And I plan on making sure the mesh is so secure that it won't sag...I'm thinking holding it in place with fiberglass resin instead of some type of silicone seal / epoxy / glue.

I'll post pics...

Oh yeah, I'll end up with a prop rod like that...or some other similar idea.

And I plan on making sure the mesh is so secure that it won't sag...I'm thinking holding it in place with fiberglass resin instead of some type of silicone seal / epoxy / glue.

I'll post pics...

George,

I will give you a call today.

Gil

Use metal, not plastic, mesh to avoid sagging. Make sure you use a good adhesive to fix the mesh to the cover- one that can withstand heat cycles and weather/moisture. Maybe a black window caulk? SOS can probably send you a paper trace. As tof said, you will need to order the NSX-R prop bar from Honda- it is available.

What's that prop rod from Honda running now-a-days?

- - - Updated - - -

George,

I will give you a call today.

Gil

Sure...if I'm not in, or it's after hours, my cell is 214.629.1299.

Got a spare prop rod laying around? :)

Last edited:
Back