• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSXCA NSX Holiday Party - CalCoastalNSX - Sat, Jan 16th - Feeler Thread

Is there anyway to access financial statements for NSXCA besides in NSXDriver? I remember skimming through the issue where it shows that the last NSXPO spent a lot of money and I think thats why the funds are so low this year. Please correct me if I am wrong....I just think there should be some fiscal responsibility so there can be future events going on without the next year being low on funds.

I'm sure Bob will let you know the exact procedures, but I believe the NSXCA only releases an annual report as standard. It should be set forth in the by-laws I think. I can definitely say that there is certainly a great deal of concern over fiscal responsibility though. That is part of what's being demonstrated in this particular case I think. I have no clue how last year's NSXPO impacted the finances, but there is normally only a portion of each $40 membership fee which is set aside for the region each year anyway.

Having been very involved with the planning of an NSXPO before I know it's a large expense every year for the club. There is unquestionably a great amount of time spent working on the budget and going over the forecasts for the event. As you can imagine with an event of that size there are a number of variables which can impact the ending financial result. Of course exact expenses will vary for some of the costs like each days food but large expenses such as track, etc. are fixed regardless of attendees. After setting the budget months in advance a forecast for number of attendees must be made and this is far from an exact science since it's almost impossible to be accurate. In past years they have made three budget estimates based upon varying level of attendees to see the impact it would have on the end financial result. This is all used to determine the registration costs for that year's event. Other things like sponsorships also vary each year and may not be fully finalized when having to set the registration fee. If you've ever helped plan a single day drive or dinner you can only imagine how complex and time consuming a five day event would be with many events throughout the day.

The point I'm trying to make is for NSXPO in particular there is significant concern given to the budget and resulting financial exposure for the club. One prime example of this is when reserving blocks of rooms for the host hotel. In '05 we ended up with a few people unable to stay at the host hotel because we slightly underestimated attendance at the hotel for one of the nights in particular and the hotel became busy and booked up. This was unfortunate for those that delayed making plans, but the reason it happened is during our budget discussions the board was wary to overbook guaranteed rooms with the hotel. With rates around $130-$150 (can't remember exactly now) a night if there was a substantial lack of attendance for some reason it could cripple the club's finances pretty quickly.

Most of the people on the NSXCA board have been volunteering their time for MANY years and while certainly appreciated by many, still don't get enough recognition for the work they do. As Bob mentioned those on the board and planning events receive no discounts for their work although I'd make the argument that it would be deserved, although too difficult to draw the line as to who would get a discount.

Sorry for the lengthy response but I just wanted to let you know from my perspective having been involved a bit with the club that there is a lot of fiscal responsibility shown.

I remember skimming through the issue where it shows that the last NSXPO spent a lot of money and I think thats why the funds are so low this year. Please correct me if I am wrong....I just think there should be some fiscal responsibility so there can be future events going on without the next year being low on funds.

You are incorrect.

Regional allocations are made strictly based on numbers of members renewing/joining eah particular region during the fiscal time period. The allocations are not affected negatively by any NSXPO expense and would be impacted only in a positive way in the event that an NSXPO generates a profit which could then increase regional allocations in proportion to their membership (hint to the Left Coast: support NSXPO 2010 in Vegas, get sponsors to assist and reap the benefits of a successful event).

Every NSXPO is expensive to host and that is why organizers and Board members spend many long days and nights trying to raise sponsorship monies. You will note that we try to keep social registration costs around $300 per person. If 100 people attend, that is $30,000 generated just by social registration fees. However, the expenses to feed and entertain those same 100 persons may total $45,000 and that is why we are constantly working with our sponsors to keep the members' costs down.

Regional allocations are not less this year because of any expenses incurred by NSXPO. They are simply tied to members joining/renewing and are subject either to artificial "increases" due to lack of spending in a region or smaller balances due to many events or a larger event whereby a larger subsidy is needed.

However, simple math should tell you that we cannot charge a member $40 in annual dues and then pay $75-100 for one dinner for that member absent sponsorship of that event. That is why the 2008 CalCoastal party was an anamoly insofar as monies had not been spent and were due to be returned as unused. That enabled John to incur the expenses he did for one party solely as the result of monies not being used in the region for other events. Otherwise, it should be fairly obvious that if we spent 2-3 times as much money per person on events than we charge in dues we would cease to exist very quickly.

Steven and the Board were fiscally responsible by not approving a request for paying $75-100 per person for a limited event in CalCoastal when we are responsible to the entire SW region. If we approved the request for a similar expense as 2008 there would be very little left not only for CalCoastal but also Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying it....I do have a suggestion. The simple thing to do is just raise the fees to participate in NSXPO to cover the costs if needed. I personally don't have a problem with paying more, if it will make things easier. Heck most mods cost way more than 300 per person.

For anyone who would complain about this then you shouldn't be owning an NSX, and a cheaper car is meant for you. The cost should reflect any increases in the current economy. I also think that people who are on the board and the people who help organize the event (region rep or someone like John should be paid either on an hourly bases or a flat fee for working or putting in hours to make things happen). I don't know how much, but I am just saying I don't have a problem with it and maybe we can vote on that.

Everyone who owns an NSX should donate to this forum and should join NSXCA to keep things like NSXPO going on.

Thanks for clarifying it....I do have a suggestion. The simple thing to do is just raise the fees to participate in NSXPO to cover the costs if needed. I personally don't have a problem with paying more, if it will make things easier. Heck most mods cost way more than 300 per person.

For anyone who would complain about this then you shouldn't be owning an NSX, and a cheaper car is meant for you. The cost should reflect any increases in the current economy. I also think that people who are on the board and the people who help organize the event (region rep or someone like John should be paid either on an hourly bases or a flat fee for working or putting in hours to make things happen). I don't know how much, but I am just saying I don't have a problem with it and maybe we can vote on that.

Everyone who owns an NSX should donate to this forum and should join NSXCA to keep things like NSXPO going on.

We have analyzed fees/pricing schedules for many years and have also learned the "tolerance level" of the overall membership to such charged fees. We have to consider the entire country and their reaction to fees. For example, I am a lifelong New Yorker and come to expect that it will cost me $45 to park for a few hours in Manhattan, pay rents of $2500 per month for a one bedroom apartment or purchase that one bedroom condo for over $500,000. The only time I ever experience an "inexpensive hotel room" is at NSXPOs where we negotiate nightly rates between $100-145 generally since in this area you would be lucky to find a nightly rate at a mediocre hotel for less than 3 times that amount.

However, most people between the coasts have a much different view on acceptable costs and we necessarily must consider their financial abilities and expectations. And it has been the result of selfless dedication of Board volunteers over the many years that we have been able to accurately forecast attendance to comply with contracts signed up to a year in advance of an event. That is why we almost always break even on such a large event as NSXPO - we take our fiscal responsibility seriously at the same time as charging attendees the absolute minimum and then raise tens of thousands from sponsors to keep those costs down.

And although it is nice to hear someone suggest we be compensated for our time, that is not why we do this. It is our intention to do our best to foster a sense of community in this relatively small market which probably consists of no more than 6500 NSXs still on the road in the United States.

In all honesty, if we didn't care about the community like we do then it would make no sense for us to take on this thankless task. Personally, I have a law firm and estimate that the amount of time I volunteer to the NSXCA each year would equal approximately $75,000 - $100,000 in additional annual billings if I redirected my energies.

We are not looking for compensation or "freebies". But we would sincerely appreciate some understanding of what we must do and a little respect for having to make "tough decisions" that may displease a few but benefit a greater percentage of the dues paying membership.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think an extra 100 bucks for going per person for example is not going to hurt someone.

But carry on and thanks to all who are involved.

:biggrin:

Having only been a member for one year, I don't know how to renew my membership. After reading the posts, I've decided that I should renew. Will I receive an email asking for a payment? Any other members have an answer for me? As far as a party goes, I think a nice dinner would work. Those of us who would like to kart could do so and cover the cost for ourselves and our guests. Having some experience at Dromo, I wouldn't mind helping put something together for us. This thread has really turned out to be an education on the financial workings of the NSXCA. I'll keep following it...

Having only been a member for one year, I don't know how to renew my membership. After reading the posts, I've decided that I should renew. Will I receive an email asking for a payment? Any other members have an answer for me? As far as a party goes, I think a nice dinner would work. Those of us who would like to kart could do so and cover the cost for ourselves and our guests. Having some experience at Dromo, I wouldn't mind helping put something together for us. This thread has really turned out to be an education on the financial workings of the NSXCA. I'll keep following it...

Thank you for your renewed/continued support.

The renewal process involves you receiving a reminder letter by snail mail that your membership is expiring and, if we do not receive a renewal from our members, a second "final" letter comes by snail mail advising that membership benefits will terminate if not renewed. If you wish, you may PM me your real name and address and I can check our database as to when your membership expires.

You may also renew online at: http://www.nsxca.org/nsxca/join/

If you prefer not to renew or cannot renew by paypal online, our renewal letters advise that you can send a check or use any major credit card. As an aside, I personally pick up all snail mail sent to the NSXCA, personally process all credit cards through my secure server (as indicated above, I have a law firm so I take extra precautions in general and do all credit card processing through my office server) and personally log and deposit all checks.

Theres also a fax number for sending in a payment too after you fill out the payment form. I think I am good for this year also.Simply complete the form above and mail it along with your membership fee of $40.00 in US currency to:

NSX Club of America
333 Mamaroneck Ave
PMB #399
White Plains, NY 10605

Or you can fax your registration form to:
(914) 764-9108

I will take care of this right now too. Thanks for the info ediddy!

Theres also a fax number for sending in a payment too after you fill out the payment form. I think I am good for this year also.Simply complete the form above and mail it along with your membership fee of $40.00 in US currency to:

NSX Club of America
333 Mamaroneck Ave
PMB #399
White Plains, NY 10605

Or you can fax your registration form to:
(914) 764-9108

Darn I had 1000 pages coming in for you ;) :biggrin:

No probs bud and thanks for donating to Prime too.

Lets keep NSXCA and Prime going people.

For sure man, I saw your other post about donating. To be honest I had just never really thought about it. So once I saw your post I immediately donated. As I read through Prime I can tell it is a VERY giving place and I am sure I'll be part of the community for a long time to come :).

Good looking out man, remember its not just a one time deal. We have to keep donating, just like we have to continue to renew our membership with NSXCA in order to keep it going as well.

I can't wait til the next issue of NSXDRIVER....I gave one to a primer in Ireland and he went nuts for it.

By the way nice car, I got to meet the previous owner and he is a nice guy. He came out to a few of our drives.

Last edited:
Back