• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM set of 6 coil packs for $120??? will these fit?

looking at replacing my coil packs on my 96 and i came across this listing. it seems too cheap to be true, because acura sites list each coil pack for around this price. i cross referenced this part number 06300-PR7-305 and acura does sell this kit for this price. i just can't verify for sure if they fit our cars or if this ebay listing is inaccurate. anybody have any experience with this? thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-OE...h=item467595327b:g:pnwAAOSwuShab0jp:rk:1:pf:0

These are being sold on Ebay by a franchised dealer who is advertising that they fit your car. There should not be any problem; if they turn out to be not as described you will not have a problem returning them.

yea it works, the trick is 1995+ use way cheaper coils. I just used this same part # to replace mine.

91-94 are OBD1 and the coils are triple the price.

Check the part numbers; but, I believe the coils on all the OBDII cars (1995 - 2005) are the same. Since the cross over between the na1-na2 and pre and post OBDII do not line up year - wise, you may find an application conflict in the 6 coil kit listings. That is because some of the coil 'kits' came bundled with replacement spark plugs; but, I think the spark plugs were heat ranges for the na1 or the na2 engine. So, the reference check would only work if you checked for a year which matched the plugs that the kit came bundled with. If you have an OBDII car; but, didn't have the plugs that matched the kit, then the kit would not come up in the reference search. I don't know whether that problem of the plug conflict still exists; but, the coils should be correct for any OBDII 1995 - 2005 car.

Heads up - that price in the Ebay listing is not the lowest price. Most of the Acura OEM on-line parts sellers list the kit at less than $110 US. Just search by the part # to find the best price. Its truly bizarre that Acura continues to sell 6 ignition coils (and in some cases 6 platinum plugs) for less than the discounted cost of a single ignition coil. A bit like the strange pricing that existed with the water up upgrade kit which was way cheaper than the cost of the water pump.

Last edited:
These days we need to be very careful when buying replacement parts, since there are SO MANY fake/cloned items out there.

I first noticed them in the brake rotor/pad area, but more recently encountered fake spark plugs originating in China.

Due diligence in these times is more important than ever (too cheap = too good to be true), I mean if they will FAKE prescription drugs then is anything sacred?

They will work but you need the THREE pin connector shells. You can reshell existing connectors with ones salvaged from a TL or related. A TL injector harness is about $30 on ebay, or you will have to pay about $25 per connector shell.

Kaz believes the later coil cover is required as well.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-11400.html

His car is a 1996. I am presuming it is a USDM car so it will be OBDII compliant by law and will already be using the coils with the 3 pins. If the car is not USDM then the coils are likely not a direct fit because non USDM cars did not get the misfire detection system until sometime later.

These days we need to be very careful when buying replacement parts, since there are SO MANY fake/cloned items out there.

I first noticed them in the brake rotor/pad area, but more recently encountered fake spark plugs originating in China.

Due diligence in these times is more important than ever (too cheap = too good to be true), I mean if they will FAKE prescription drugs then is anything sacred?

Valid point, particularly if you are buying from a vendor off of eBay or Amazon. However, you can buy the 6 pack from Acura dealer websites for less than $110 so the deal is real - as long as you go to a real Acura vendor. Check the Delray site

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/oem-parts/acura-ignition-kit-06300pr7305

Some other Acura dealers list for a couple of $ less.

yea it works, the trick is 1995+ use way cheaper coils. I just used this same part # to replace mine.

91-94 are OBD1 and the coils are triple the price.

There not actually supposed to be cheaper as the individual coils cost is $180-$210 each. The six pack is a special part number that may have been meant for a service bulletin or something.

How often do you feel the need to wash your engine? Water getting past the gaskets on the coil covers and entering the wells in the valve cover where the nose of the coil connects to the sparkplug is probably the most significant source of coil failure on the NSX (and most COP equipped engines). The water mixes with dirt and other contaminants forming a conducting path on the coil's insulator nose which results in flashover to ground rather than a spark at the plug gap - and a misfire on that cylinder. The flashover results in tracking on the coil nose. Sometimes the tracking can be cleaned off; however, the normal solution is a new coil.

The rear coils have a slightly higher failure rate from insulation failure because the trim / garnish along the back of the engine hatch can allow water from washing the car or heavy rain to drain down onto the rear valve covers and then into the plug wells if the gaskets are in poor condition. The front cylinders obviously don't have that problem. On the NSX Great Britain site, where driving in heavy rain seems to be a more common occurrence, you will find discussion of the problem and fixes.

I am sure that coil failure due to internal failure of the coil has occurred; but, I don't ever recall reading a report of it on Prime. Coils tend to be pretty dumb-ass simple and reliable devices. I have a vintage car and the original 47 year old coil worked just fine. If you feel the need to do something preventative, remove the coil covers and examine the rubber gaskets on the covers and make sure that they are not deformed or out of position. A little silicon / dielectric grease applied along the gaskets can help everything slide back into place during the process of reinstalling the coil covers. Dielectric grease applied to the sparkplug insulator and on the coil nose is de rigueur.

Finally, if you are so inclined, avoid the urge to use a pressure washer when cleaning off the engine.

I got my car 7 years ago with 9000 miles on it. I only use Optimum No Rinse when washing the top of the car, and keep any excess water from going into the vent. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been caught out in the rain with the car. Hopefully this will keep me from having moisture related coil problems for quite a while. There was a rain guard on The NSX Shop's website not long ago, but appears to be gone at this point.

As Old Guy pointed out, there has been discussion on the British Forum on how to limit the water getting to the rear coils. Basically amounts to sticking a strip of foam in the needed area to stem the flow.

Thanks for the great explanation Old guy! I dont really drive in the rain and like The King, I have been using Optimum no rinse for about a year. I have well water, so it really helps keep things clean.

Back