• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM shocks

Heading into a major maintenance/refreshening, and I have a leaky OEM front shock. I was able to locate only 1 new OEM front shock for my '93. I understand that OEM shocks are no longer available new?

What are folk using when servicing/replacing leaking shocks for early-year Gen 1 NSXs, and when seeking to stay near-OEM? (I drive like an aggressive grandma on the street, and nowhere near an Ayrton wannabe on the track, so I'm not too interested in higher-performance options)

Heading into a major maintenance/refreshening, and I have a leaky OEM front shock. I was able to locate only 1 new OEM front shock for my '93. I understand that OEM shocks are no longer available new?

What are folk using when servicing/replacing leaking shocks for early-year Gen 1 NSXs, and when seeking to stay near-OEM? (I drive like an aggressive grandma on the street, and nowhere near an Ayrton wannabe on the track, so I'm not too interested in higher-performance options)
You can still get them from Japan. Mita and Amayama have them. Otherwise, the Bilstein is my go-to solution for OEM suspensions. You can re-use your springs on them.

Thanks Honcho! I'll look into costs from Mita or Amayama, or perhaps we'll look into Billsteins and I'll add the boxed shock to my NSXmobilia, to to speak lol.

Thanks Honcho! I'll look into costs from Mita or Amayama, or perhaps we'll look into Billsteins and I'll add the boxed shock to my NSXmobilia, to to speak lol.
While MUCH cheaper, keep in mind the Bils are firmer-riding than stock. Some owners don't like that. New OEM will give you 20+ years more reliable driving...

Yikes! Expensive.

Shock Absorber.jpg

I would put four new BIlsteins on. You didn't say how many miles are on your car, but if one shock is leaking it is likely others will follow.

Bonus - if you want - you can lower your car .875" by using the lower spring perch on the Bilsteins.

Don't forget to rebuild your top mount bushings. SoS has a kit.

Last edited:
Yikes! Expensive.

View attachment 179222

I would put four new BIlsteins on. You didn't say how many miles are on your car, but if one shock is leaking it is likely others will follow.

Bonus - if you want - you can lower your car .875" by using the lower spring perch on the Bilsteins.

Don't forget to rebuild your top mount bushings. SoS has a kit.

@Yinzer has been inching towards 20k miles... Not sure if he hit it yet!

Back