• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Out of state NSX registration/smog ck in Covington LA

Trying to do this preparation to avoid any surprises.

Planning to register my out of state '93 in Covington LA this Fall. For those of you who have done this before or knows the process well, would you share your experience as how strict it is and what I have to watch out for. The Fee part and sales tax are not clear to me and below is what I've found on LA DMV website.

My car is not a ricer
:smile:, has no lien, no spare tire, has Prospeed cats, has gtlw exhaust and has no wiper motor. (I have a source for one if needed) Engine has all the emission stuff on it and looks oem.

I will have a LA drivers lic. and insurance. After this is done, are there any annual/bi-annual smog ck or any ck?

Thx much and Geaux Saints!

LA Vehicle Safety Inspection

The purpose of the safety inspection is to ensure that your vehicle is not a safety hazard to yourself or other drivers. Commonly inspected parts include:

• Brakes and brake lights.
  • Wheels and tires.
  • Windshield and windows (i.e. cracks and holes that may impair driving).
  • Seat belts.
  • Horn.
  • Headlights and turn lights.
  • Exhaust system (must not be noisy or smoke excessively).
  • Steering mechanisms.
There are a number of additional items that technicians will inspect, and you can review the entire inspection checklist before you appear. The Louisiana safety inspection fee is $10.

Louisiana Smog and Emissions Testing

Not all Louisiana residents must complete a smog and emissions test with their safety inspection. Your vehicle requires an emissions The smog check and emissions inspection consists of such things as:

• Gas cap pressure test.
  • On-board computer system check (i.e. OBD II test).
  • Visual inspection of:
    ―Catalytic converter.
    ―Air injection system.
    ―Positive crankcase ventilation system.
    ―Evaporative emission control system.
    ―Exhaust gas recirculation system.
  • Prepare the Paperwork

Meanwhile, if you purchased your car from a private seller, or are simply registering an out-of-state vehicle, you'll need to collect the following documents that apply to your situation:
    1. Completed Vehicle Application.
    2. Notarized and properly assigned title (see our title or duplicate title articles for more information).
    3. Proof of current insurance.
    4. Completed odometer disclosure statement (only for private sale purchases).
    5. UCC-1 Financing Statement, security agreement, or chattel mortgage (if financing is involved).
    6. Notarized Bill of Sale or invoice showing the selling price (only for private sale purchases that don't have this information on the title).
    7. Proof of sales tax payment on the vehicle (only for out-of-state vehicles).
    8. Current registration (only for out-of-state vehicles).
    NOTE: Once you register your vehicle, you'll fall into a schedule for vehicle inspections. At this point, proof that your vehicle passes these inspections becomes part of your paperwork (the part you keep). The OMV doesn't require separate smog or emission inspections, but the regular vehicle inspection does include inspections of various vehicle emission parts. Learn more at Motor Vehicle Inspections and Smog & Emission Checks.
    Calculate the Fees

The total registration and title fees vary depending on a few circumstances.
    First-Time Fees

For instance, the use tax is based on the sales price of your vehicle. Also, while the state sales tax is 4%, local parish and municipality taxes differ. (For out-of-state vehicles, the tax is based on the vehicle's fair market value. If your former state has a reciprocal agreement with Louisiana, a maximum 4% credit may be applied against your taxes; proof of payment is required.)
    Additionally, your license plate fees depend on how much you paid for the vehicle and what type of plate you want.
    Additional Fees

Replacing a license plate, sticker, and registration all mean you'll have to pay extrafees. You should also plan for future vehicle inspection fees.

Last edited:
Back