• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Passenger door light not working

My 1991 passenger door light is not working. I put a new door light bulb and it still doesn’t work. The door open indicator on the instrument panel indicate passenger and driver’s door open when both are open and center dome and driver’s side lights are working when both doors are ajar. Any solutions? Any one had similar issues?

By any chance did you put a LED light in the courtesy light? If so, the door courtesy light housing has an internal diode in it. If your LED is polarity sensitive switching the LED around may fix the problem.

If you are still using a conventional bulb and you know the bulb is good, then you likely have a door wiring problem (the light may have become unplugged) or an internal failure on the socket or the internal biasing diode may have failed. If the dome light is still working that is good because it indicates the latch switch is still operating (a double hassle and expensive to fix). Unfortunately, to remove the courtesy light to check the socket or look for wiring problems requires that you remove the door interior panel. Get a hold of the service manual before you do that because you can break expensive things if you are clumsy when removing the interior panel.

Thanks Old Guy for the response. Yes I installed a LED bulb. I put this bulb in both doors’ courtesy light: Alla Lighting 800 Lumens DE3175 DE3021 DE3022 LED Bulb CAN BUS Xtreme Super Bright 6000K Xenon White. The driver’s side works but not the passenger side. What do you mean by switching the LED around? A 180 degree flip? I think it might be a door wiring issue then. Is the service manual online somewhere?

Anyone have solutions to remove the dome light for a 1991? It’s difficult and I don’t want to break the expensive plastic! Lol!

Yes, rotate the bulb 180 deg. If that does not work, take your working bulb from the driver's door and put it in the passenger door to make sure that it is not a bulb problem. Just because your LED bulb is brand new does not mean that it works. You want to make absolutely sure that you don't have a bulb problem before you start tearing the door apart.

If you do have to remove the door interior panel, give consideration to whatever additional discretionary maintenance you could do while it is apart such as cleaning and lubricating the window regulator and window guides or doing the guide and retainer replacement.

ScienceofSpeed Window Guide Bushings (set of 8 for two doors) - NSX, 1991-05 - Interior Accessories - Interior Products - NSX, 1991-05

Billet Window Regulator Retainer - Interior Accessories - Interior Products - NSX, 1991-05 (scienceofspeed.com)

A link to a .pdf of the service manual can be found on the NSX Prime Wiki in the Repairing Your NSX section

NSX-Wiki (nsxprime.com)

I don't remember having much of a problem replacing the dome light; but, bulb replacement and actual removal of the whole assembly is covered in the electrical section of the service manual.

Last edited:
Anyone have solutions to remove the dome light for a 1991? It’s difficult and I don’t want to break the expensive plastic! Lol!

Are you trying to pull the whole dome light out or just the lens?

To remove the lens there are two little recesses on the side opposite the buttons. Just place a trim tool or a flat head screwdriver in there and gently pry until the lens pops off.

To remove the dome light completely you need remove the lens first and there are a couple of screws in there and then it should pull down out of the headliner.

Back