• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Porsche whiffs on customer care

Porsche is making a mistake that could take years—and millions of dollars—to fix, and you might not even be aware of it. Well, that is, until now.
The mistake started with Porsche 911 and Boxster models sold in the U.S. from 2001-05, but the real cost is to Porsche's reputation. This reputational value—the “There is no Substitute” attitude, the Le Mans-winning juggernaut, the “Coolest Guy in the Room” aura—will evaporate courtesy of company lawyers.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130918/carnews/130919830#ixzz2gjBx7rVd

from what i read their m96/m97 engines are not bulletproof at all.

whether suffering from ims failure or not the 'upgraded' ims engines suffer a multitude of other issues. if its not ims, then rms, then oil starvation, or scoring on cylinder walls. i've read so many counts of engine replacements in the past 2 months on the p-car forums its crazy... meanwhile in my 2 years on prime ive read next to ZERO counts of engine replacements.

even today my buddy (who drinks porsche koolaid) just found out that his engine will likely need replacing - 07 c2s 41xxx miles.... its ridiculous.

maybe when my engine blows up on me, ill finally get my nsx :redface:

Porsche is making a mistake that could take years—and millions of dollars—to fix, and you might not even be aware of it. Well, that is, until now.
The mistake started with Porsche 911 and Boxster models sold in the U.S. from 2001-05, but the real cost is to Porsche's reputation. This reputational value—the “There is no Substitute” attitude, the Le Mans-winning juggernaut, the “Coolest Guy in the Room” aura—will evaporate courtesy of company lawyers.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130918/carnews/130919830#ixzz2gjBx7rVd

Last edited:
I've done quite a bit of research (financial, culture, business and manufacturing ops, start, etc) for my masters and, if I may be so bold, Porsche's success rests solely on their racing performance and engineering reputation. And that reputation centers on the 911. It's a model they can't get wrong. Every model branches from this: the Cayenne, Caymen, Boxster, Macan, etc. Even their Porsche Design group is dependent upon this image.

If they don't fix this or placate owners in some satisfactory manner, the article is right - they'll take a big hit. Either they mark it up as an Extraordinary charge on their Income Statement or it's going to affect their top line sales for a very long time.

I doubt it will do anything to Porsche's reputation or resale. The reality is that Porsche denied and delayed the process long enough that it is old news now. This is 10 years old news and the reality is that those of us who are Porschephiles(me included) know about this. Those who don't are S.O.L. or probably bought a car that was fixed already.

I doubt it will do anything to Porsche's reputation or resale. The reality is that Porsche denied and delayed the process long enough that it is old news now. This is 10 years old news and the reality is that those of us who are Porschephiles(me included) know about this. Those who don't are S.O.L. or probably bought a car that was fixed already.

exactly.

the kids i meet in med school/law school are as dreamy eyed as ever when talking about their future porsche/porsches (that will never see the light of day of an ims related issue), and that's porsches entire next generation of customers right there ready to go. i think some people fail to realize that since 2009, porsche has a moved to the DFI (non-ims) engine, so the "new" engines that no longer have this issue are already 5 years old.

regardless, it hasnt effected porsche sales or the brand rep. at all imo. i see more 911s, caymans, cayennayes, panameras in the neighborhood and in general, then ever. nor has IMS has BARELY had any effect, if any on resale. for a car thats still evolving and in production, the 911 has held its value very very very well (compare a 997.1 to a similar amg benz approx age/milage).

with that said, objectively speaking the M96/M97 have a multitude of silly issues based on what i have read; its funny how those who are loyal to the brand keep re-iterating how 'bulletproof' the engines are; despite needing their engines replaced.

Last edited:
Problems like these are not unique. My 1992 NSX with 50k miles had the infamous snap-ring failure in 2001. Cost me $3500 to repair then. Honda did not do jack.
Steve

I've been wanting a P-car for quite awhile now, but I've read so much about RMS/IMS issues that I've steered clear in fear of shelling out $$ after my purchase.:frown:

I've purchased 20 Porsches and have never had a single issue. Dealer after dealer has provided the utmost quality of service.

Still the best quality high-end cars you can buy.

Back