• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Private Water Companies and/or Private/Shared Wells

Anyone here live in a home that gets its water from a private source?

What are the pros and cons of private water companies? I've heard that they are ludicrously expensive, but don't personally know anyone whose water comes from a private company.

Also, anyone have a private or shared well? What's the upkeep on that like? Do you have a water bill or does your home just use what is naturally available underground?

The reason I ask is because I'm shopping for a house that is not in an HOA and I am encountering a lot of nice homes on some decent acreage, but a lot of them are just off the beaten path and use private water companies, septic tanks and wells, and I have no idea how to assess whether these things will be worthwhile in avoiding HOA fees and HOA rules.

This probably won't be the most helpful post, but my ex-girlfriend's family's house had a private well and all the water came from there. No water bill. But, the water pressure there was awful which she told me was because the well was running dry, and they would have to get another dug in a few years. Forgot how long they were on that well for.

When i lived in Silverdale we had a community well with individual septic systems. the well fed several houses and was solid until the power went out. At some point the water district took over the well, and eventually plumbed the neighborhood to the district supply.
A well done septic system is very little maintenance but can get expensiveif there are problems. You're jot supposed to put egg shells, food waste or the like down the drail, nor can you endlessly run the water, either.
All in all i prefer letting the "professionals" handle my water and sewer, at least one or the other.
Miner

I have septic and a well. Not alot of maintenance and its cheaper to water lawn,fill pool, wash cars,etc. Its definitely not maintenance free tho. Every five years have to get septic emptied and during winter I have to make sure well pump doesn't freeze by putting a warming light on it.

Back