• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question about VINs and Chassis Numbers

You might know that in Japan they don't use the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) system, rather they ID cars by their CHASSIS NUMBER. (I think the rest of the world get VINs.)

I often see FOR SALE ads wherein the seller is touting the car's position in the production line; for example, "This car's VIN ends in '000003', meaning it was the third car made that year!" But... It's possible that a hundred JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) cars were made before the first VIN car was produced, right? And therefore --using my earlier example-- car 000003 would actually be the 103rd car made that year, yes?

I doubt Honda built JDM and VIN cars completely separately, like 2000 JDM cars followed by 1000 VIN cars (especially in the case of the NSX, a low-production, hand-built car). Seems more likely that they'd be interspersed, all mixed together.

Does anyone know --definitively-- how JDM and VIN cars interact numerically?<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/1d2c1559/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Seems more likely that they'd be interspersed, all mixed together.

I think this is correct, the cars would have gone down the production line in Japan, maybe in small batches but some get a JDM body number, some get USA VIN, EU VIN, British Vin, some even got Australian VIN numbers!

The changes between all the different variations is interesting and not really defined anywhere that I can find.

Back