• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Reimporting a USDM NSX back into the US after it was exported to Canada

Has anyone recently imported a USDM NSX back into the USA after it had been exported to Canada? I have an American interested in my 1995, which is currently registered in Canada after being registered in Florida until 2018. I'm specifically interested in what taxes had to be paid. My web searches haven't really been successful.

Last edited:
No duty will need to be paid to re-import a car originally from the USA market. State sales taxes if any still apply when registering the vehicle.

• Re-Importing A Previously Exported Vehicle - A vehicle taken from the United States for non-commercial, private use may be returned duty free by proving to CBP that it was previously owned and registered in the United States. This proof may be a state-issued registration card for the automobile or a bill of sale for the car from a U.S. dealer. Repairs or accessories acquired abroad for your vehicle must be declared on your return and may be subject to duty.
    In some countries, it will be difficult or impossible to obtain unleaded fuel for your vehicle. If the vehicle is driven using leaded gasoline, it will be necessary for you to replace the catalyst and oxygen sensor upon its return to the U.S. To avoid the expense of replacing these parts you may obtain authorization from EPA to remove the catalyst and oxygen sensor before the vehicle is shipped overseas. The EPA telephone number for these authorizations is (202) 564-2418. When the vehicle returns to the U.S., the original catalyst and oxygen sensor will need to be reinstalled. However, you may now reenter your U.S. version vehicle into the U.S. without bond, upon your assurance that you will have the reinstallation performed.

Do you have a published source that states that rule because I bought my USDM NSX from Canada and it also spent more than 3 years in Canada. Paid zero duty to bring it back. I didn't use any importer, I just followed the rules stated on the CBP website.

Do you have a published source that states that rule because I bought my USDM NSX from Canada and it also spent more than 3 years in Canada. Paid zero duty to bring it back. I didn't use any importer, I just followed the rules stated on the CBP website.
Interesting. How long ago? Every transport company we called was the same thing. We went with TFX at the end.

This was in 2015. I was able to complete the inspection and get the paper work approved at the border. TFX's website doesn't seem to have much info. I haven't heard of this other company, but they also say that there isn't duty on an US market car getting reimported. https://www.wcshipping.com/us-car-import

Detailed information is definitely limited on this subject.

Back