• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rodent Tape?

I clearly have too much time on my hands.

While trolling around looking for something else I stumbled upon this presumably official Honda product
Appears to be tape embedded with bear spray (capsaicin). Even if it works I am not sure what deters the mouse from moving on to some other area which is not taped unless you plan to tape the whole vehicle harness.

Last edited:
And in the Safety Data Sheet; envisioning when this would occur

IMG_0945.jpeg

I'm surprised that you haven't stumbled across this stuff before. We sold quite a bit of it over the years. I know what you are saying about wrapping all the wiring harnesses! It would require a ton of it, and it's not cheap. Most of the people who bought it, did not have any more problems. One day I hit the washer stalk on our CRV. One side of the windshield wasn't getting any fluid. Some little creature chewed on the hose. Wrapped them with this tape after repairing, and had no more problems.

I'm surprised that you haven't stumbled across this stuff before. We sold quite a bit of it over the years.
So that comment implying this stuff was not uncommon made me curious. Further time wasted in front of the lap top produced this gem.

Strikes me as an interesting case of lack of impulse control. The sort of thing that I got from my son when he was about three years old and did something egregiously stupid involving a screwdriver and an electrical outlet - 'I did it because I did it'.

If the mice bring some vodka, Clamato and celery perhaps they can make a Caesar?

I clearly have too much time on my hands.

While trolling around looking for something else I stumbled upon this presumably official Honda product
Appears to be tape embedded with bear spray (capsaicin). Even if it works I am not sure what deters the mouse from moving on to some other area which is not taped unless you plan to tape the whole vehicle harness.

I recall reading that at some point Honda used soy based wire insulation

Wrapped them with this tape after repairing, and had no more problems.

Can't hurt, I guess, but it's hard to know whether it really helps.

Rodents chewed through some wires in my car 25 years ago, I DIDN'T wrap them with pepper tape after repairing, and I too have had no more problems.

So that comment implying this stuff was not uncommon made me curious. Further time wasted in front of the lap top produced this gem.

Strikes me as an interesting case of lack of impulse control. The sort of thing that I got from my son when he was about three years old and did something egregiously stupid involving a screwdriver and an electrical outlet - 'I did it because I did it'.

If the mice bring some vodka, Clamato and celery perhaps they can make a Caesar?
For Christmas my son took his own challenge. He ate 5 levels of hot peppers. The hottest pepper had a heat rating of 1,600,000 scoville heat units. He does everything over the top. He has run a 24 hour ultra marathon in which he ran over 100 miles in 24 hours. I just hope he doesn't hurt himself one of these days.

Wouldn't be surprised this stuff is fairly useful, especially for those who put their cars in long-term storage throughout different seasons. Fortunately there's no mice problem here with our abundance of snakes and birds of prey but those critters can cause a lot of damage.

I recently replaced a couple small air hoses (PCV valve) because of some critter bites while stored by the previous owner. Electrical issues would be even more annoying and tricky, especially if it only malfunctioned "sometimes". Not to mention harnesses can be incredibly expensive and difficult to replace depending on what/where they are.

Imagine the ECU harness getting nibbled... would be a nightmare.

Back