• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed 4.4:1 final drive for 5-spd NSX

Over the years, we've had a significant amount of interest in a 4.4:1 final drive gear set. The 4.4:1 ratio, which has been made popular by the OS Giken LSD (which includes the 4.4:1 ratio as an option), is a popular in between ratio between the Honda NSX-R final drive of 4.23:1 and the discontinued Comptech ratio of 4.55:1. There was a poll of interest done here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/74761-interest-in-4-44-final-drive

ratio: 4.429:1 (62/14)
material: chro-moly, heat treated, and surface tempered (same process as used in Formula Nippon)

To study the feasibility, we had the engineering analysis of the 4.4:1 final drive gear set that flanges to the factory LSD completed. The design work has been completed, and we are now ready for production. The set will include the countershaft, ring gear, and oil gear. The gears will be manufactured in Japan by a well-known LSD & gear manufacture. These gears would be a direct drop-in for 1991-94 NSX. 1995-96 must use an LSD from 1991-94 or any NSX-R year, due the differences of the inner gear design. This would not be compatible with 6-spd, however, if there is enough interest, we could look in to the manufacture of the 6-spd gear set (we'd need at least 10).

To produce the gears, a minimum of 20 sets must be manufactured. We would need a commitment from at least 10 customers to proceed, and we would be willing to place the remaining units in inventory. The lead time for production will be 10-14 weeks. Shipping will be approximately 3-4 weeks. The engineering and tooling costs to produce the sets are fixed, thus pricing is highly volume dependent. We are providing a one-time sale pricing for customers that place a non-refundable 50% deposit for this initial batch. We have been working hard on this project, and are very pleased that we are able to offer a premium Japan-made product for a similar price of what the Comptech gear set sold for ($2,800) more than 8 years ago!

The pricing would be as follows:

regular price: $2,695.00

10-14 interested customers: $2,250.00
15-20 interested customers: $1,975.00

If you are interested, please reply to this thread so we can track interested customers. Once we hit a number of 10 or more, we will then ask you to contact us for order details. We will keep this open until end of February. If there is not enough interest by then, we will consider this unfeasible. We are hoping for the best!

best regards,
-- Chris

Last edited:
This is a good setup those that are NA, yes? I currently have the 4.23 and NSX-R gears on my CTSC setup.

Yes, very good for NA, in fact I would say this is the ideal ratio for an NA NSX. I will leave it to SoS to comment on suitability for a CTSC/FI setup

Count me in Chris:

1) asylum
2) sparky

as minor aside, can you please advise the designed ratio to 2 decimal places (or tooth counts). e.g. is it 4.44:1 ?

Last edited:
as minor aside, can you please advise the designed ratio to 2 decimal places (or tooth counts). e.g. is it 4.44:1 ?

Yes, the exact ratio is 4.429:1, which is calculated by the driving (countershaft) gear having 14 teeth and the driven gear (ring gear) having 62 teeth. I'll update the first post to have more detailed information.

regards,
-- Chris

Thanks Chris

For those that are wondering what performance improvement a 4.44:1 diff offers, attached is a comparison I did some time back using MATLAB, of acceleration from a standing start of four identical stock NSX's, other than gearing and diff:
1) US 5SP
2) JDM
3) US + 4.44:1 diff
4) JDM + 4.44:1 diff

After 10 seconds the cars equipped with 4.44 diff are about 1.5 car lengths ahead of it's stock sibling, and 2.5 car lengths at 20 seconds. I will update this with 4.429:1 a bit later, but that will only cause a tiny change in the comparison.

Attachments

• NSX separations 4.44 diff.pdf
    15.9 KB · Views: 98
Do you also have this calculation in 0-60 times for comparison as they can be found in the old FAQ?

Thanks Chris

For those that are wondering what performance improvement a 4.44:1 diff offers, attached is a comparison I did some time back using MATLAB, of acceleration from a standing start of four identical stock NSX's, other than gearing and diff:
1) US 5SP
2) JDM
3) US + 4.44:1 diff
4) JDM + 4.44:1 diff

After 10 seconds the cars equipped with 4.44 diff are about 1.5 car lengths ahead of it's stock sibling, and 2.5 car lengths at 20 seconds. I will update this with 4.429:1 a bit later, but that will only cause a tiny change in the comparison.

Hey, that's great! This also may be a helpful comparison (the OS Giken is listed as a 4.44:1 ratio, however I believe it is actually the same):
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain_performance_products/NSX/NSX_gear_ratios.pdf

Unfortunately, we will not be pursuing this any further due to lack of interest. We continue to offer the 4.23:1 NSX-R ratio gears which we keep in stock. The 4.4:1 gears may be purchased as a part of the OS Giken LSD package (specific to the OS Giken LSD, may not be used with a factory LSD), which we also keep in stock.

Fair enough Chris. The lack of buyers is disappointing, especially when so many enthusiastically registered their interest, and not that long ago. I imagine you put quite a lot of time into exploring the design of this, so thanks for giving it a good go anyway.

Now I'm thinking - when will I get that 4.235 .... ? :smile:

Last edited:
I'm interested in this.... Please put me on the list...I might have one other person interested as well. Can we still possibly move forward with this if we have 6 people interested?

Last edited:
I'm interested in this.... Please put me on the list...I might have one other person interested as well. Can we still possibly move forward with this if we have 6 people interested?

I think this a no-go Ch@d.

Back