• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Self-install Clear Bra?

Anyone recommend against doing a clear-bra self-install?

I am finding Venture Shield sheets on ebay for only $65 to cover the hood. I figure with 2-3 rolls, I can do a full front wrap of bumper, hood, and front side fenders for under $200.

I've watched videos online, and it doesn't seem that tough, albeit time consuming.

Do any of you have experience with self-installs (installing without any prior experience) and can you comment on something nonobvious that should hold me back from trying it?

Side-note: I've read of a prime member having the clear bra lifting his paint. Is this a concern for those with factory paints that have never been repsrayed?

*I have no tinting experience, but I've worked with self-adhesive 3M vinyl (car grade) on my phone and it was really easy, and my result was better than probably 99.9% of the work out there. I am extremely meticulous and dextrous. I've never worked with wet-install processes, however.

Last edited:
dont do it. had ti done on a 2010 porsche Boxster and in 3 months this 3m crap started to form bubbles cuz water seaps thru the film and sits under the film, then gets moldy and turns black. then you need to take it back the pro that did it and have them do it again. if you ever take it off there are marks that the glue leaves or eats the paint.

I say Dont do it. keep a good coat of wax on the front and avoid big trucks throwing rocks at you

I know the 3M film is the hardest to install and the venture shield being one of the easiest. If your really meticulous in your prep, have a clean environment and patience than I would try it yourself. Personally I paid my body shop to install it because they will not only warranty the film but also the paint if it ruins it in any way. Maybe try something small like the mirrors first?

I was recently in a showroom and saw a 85k BMW M3 Convertible. It had the front end wrapped. I showed the salesman
a fingerprint and a long hair caught under the wrap. He just shrugged.

Clear Bra is very very hard to do. Much harder than a 5 minute youtube video would make you think.

Has anyone had experience with the traditional bra from HW Accessories? It lists at $527 in body color and looks great in the ad pic.
Any thoughts much appreciated.

dont do it. had ti done on a 2010 porsche Boxster and in 3 months this 3m crap started to form bubbles cuz water seaps thru the film and sits under the film, then gets moldy and turns black. then you need to take it back the pro that did it and have them do it again. if you ever take it off there are marks that the glue leaves or eats the paint.

I say Dont do it. keep a good coat of wax on the front and avoid big trucks throwing rocks at you

I have heard from others that the earlier 3M had those issues and that buying the cheapo stuff on ebay will likely be more trouble than it's worth. You get what you pay for. Though, protecting your front end with a lot of wax and avoiding trucks throwing stones is the cheapest, it's not the best answer if the car is your baby and you want to drive it. Might as well make it a garage queen.

I have and would have a professional that warrentys the work do the job. Yes it's much more expensive. But for me, my NSX only gets the best and now I drive it without stressing about stones. I just stress about other drivers, car thieves, speed traps, out of control shopping carts, large pieces of debris on the road and hail storms.

I had the Xpel self-healing installed. It is warrenteed for 10 years and it's pre-cut to install on your car. You don't want the installer cutting it on your car. It is so clear that no one will notice it on your car and it requires no special care. Just wash and wax your car like normal. Just don't use polishing wax or polishes or a high pressure hose on it. Also, it needs to stay out of the sun for the first 24 hours after it is installed so the moisture evaporates naturally. Just my .02.

Last edited:
Back