• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Silver State Classic Challenge!!

Hey guys. I didn't see a thread on this, so I figured I'd start this one.

The Silver State Classic Challenge will be held on May 14th and 15th, 2005 in Ely, Nevada. There are a couple new events this year, in addition to the 90 mile road course.

Remember "Big Red," the awesome 1969 Camaro that swept this event back in the 80's? Well, it's back, and the owners/builders have even posted a challenge to make things interesting. The challenge is called Z2Z, which means, a time and distance competition to go from 0 to 200 mph, within a mile, and then slow back down to 0 within another mile. That should be interesting! :eek: :biggrin:

There is another event, called High Noon At The Classic Corral, where they give you a 1/2 mile (or mile, depending on the car type) to go as fast as you want. I'm kinda thinking about running my NSX in this, for fun. It's only $100.

Anyway, I'm excited to finally be able to see this race up close, after many years of hitting my forehead from missing it. Is anyone else going?

With events like the Silver State Classic you have to accept going in that you might not make it out. Having a car properly equipped and maintained is more than just a 'should do'...it is essential to survival. I remember years ago when a married couple from Illinois died in their Ferrari Testarossa because they entered the race with tires that were not properly speed rated, causing a high speed blowout and subsequent rollover accident at around 170 mph. Do not get me wrong, I am glad events like this still exist, I just encourage you to be very careful in making sure your car is up to the challenge first.

Oh, don't worry, I would give my car a thorough inspection before I run in the 90 mile course. However I'm not running in the 90 mile course this year, I just want to see the cars and take a road trip in the NSX.

Yes there have been a few deaths in these events...I believe the combo of driver mistake and car failure...

Anyone doing these events should have an overbuilt cage with full race suit and a HANS device...

Back