• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SmarTenna noise

I installed a SmarTenna model 301 in my '95 NSX. The antenna control function works fine, but the portion of the SmarTenna that goes between the CD player wiring's DIN connectors was picking up noise (noise that originated in the CD changer transport) that you could hear in both channels when playing CDs. The noise was fairly low in level, but loud enough that it wasn't masked by the music on most CDs. It was annoying enough to make me not want to listen to CDs.

I note that the DIN connectors in the CD changer wiring are shielded, and that the SmarTenna piece that goes in between is not; I tried installing the SmarTenna connector and wrapping that whole area in aluminum foil, and that has fixed the problem (it's a little touchy; I had trouble getting it to work).

A week ago, I emailed Bryan Zublin (SmarTenna maker) asking about this but haven't heard back yet.

I doubt I'm the only person who has encountered this problem. I'm interested to hear what others have noted, and done.

Tom,
Sorry for not returning your email, the big fire here in San Diego knocked out the telephone service to my home and I was not able to get to my email server via my DSL modem.

Please return the unit to my address listed below and I will replace or repair it. The problem that you are experiencing is definitely not normal.

Regards,
Bryan Zublin
16212 Paragon Mesa Road
Poway, CA 92064

BryanZublin said:
Tom,
Sorry for not returning your email, the big fire here in San Diego knocked out the telephone service to my home and I was not able to get to my email server via my DSL modem.

Please return the unit to my address listed below and I will replace or repair it. The problem that you are experiencing is definitely not normal.

Regards,
Bryan Zublin
16212 Paragon Mesa Road
Poway, CA 92064

Bryan, I have a Smartenna that I bought from Dali that never worked. I installed it myself as it was a simple job. Nothing. I then had a master tech look over my install, and nothing? Is there anything I can do about it? Time isn't really a concern.
Regards
Z

Z,
Please send the unit back to me at the address listed above and I will repair or replace it.

Of the 500+ SmarTenna's sold over the last 6 years, there have been some returns / defective units which I have repaired or replaced. I guess this qualifies as "lifetime waranty." :)

Regards,
Bryan Zublin

Sounds great!! Too bad I already lost my antenna to a toll gate!! :eek: :D
Thanks
Z

Tom's SmarTenna has been repaired

Tom,
Your SmarTenna unit had a bad connection on pin 4 of the DIN connector. Pin 4 is a ground connection, so that explains the noise that you were hearing. I have repaired the connection and will ship the unit back to you today.
Regards,
Bryan Zublin

resolved

I installed the unit that Bryan Zublin returned to me, and it works fine. The noise I'd heard before is not there at all now.

To Bryan: thank you...!

Z,
I emailed you through NSXprime but have not heard back. Your unit tested OK. Are you using the stock NSX head unit? Your profile indicates that you have a Kenwood CD/DVD/TV setup. If this is the case, it is very possible that the SmarTenna is not compatible with the Kenwood. It is designed for the stock / Alpine head unit and CD changers.

Tom,
Glad to hear that everything worked out.

Regards,
Bryan Zublin

Z,
I have not heard back from you through email or the forum, so I am sending your unit back to you with a new set of instructions and wire ties. It has been tested and is OK.
Regards,
Bryan Zublin

BryanZublin said:
Z,
I emailed you through NSXprime but have not heard back. Your unit tested OK. Are you using the stock NSX head unit? Your profile indicates that you have a Kenwood CD/DVD/TV setup. If this is the case, it is very possible that the SmarTenna is not compatible with the Kenwood. It is designed for the stock / Alpine head unit and CD changers.

Tom,
Glad to hear that everything worked out.

Regards,
Bryan Zublin

Bryan, I was told that, and at the time I was using a Alpine head unit. Oh well, since I'm using the Kenwood now, I'll just sell the Smartenna. Thanks so much for your help, you truely went above and beyond the call of duty! :)

BryanZublin said:
Z,
I have not heard back from you through email or the forum, so I am sending your unit back to you with a new set of instructions and wire ties. It has been tested and is OK.
Regards,
Bryan Zublin

and sorry I havn't been on NSX Prime much lately. If you PM/email me the cost of shipping, I'll pay for it.
Thanks
- Z

Back