• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Solution for Leaking/Melted grease Inner CV Boot?

Hello, hoping you guys can help answer a few questions before I attempt to solve this issue.

Have got a leak on both inner CV boots. Both drive shafts were completely OH'd (paint/ 4 new boots /repacked) less than 2000kms ago so aged/shrunk boots aren't the issue. The band is tight but grease makes its way out. Have searched here on prime and understand the issue may be due to heat resulting in grease breakdown. Judging from the color, seems this may be the case. Either this or there was an error with the work.

Is it possible a leak should occur if there's too much grease inside?

Car does have an aftermarket header/exhaust, heat wrapped. If high temps is the cause, what solutions are available?
- custom heat shield on both sides?
- high temp CV grease?

Would heat explain why the left side is leaking also?

Have also attached a photo of the rebuild kit contents. (I didn't source these parts myself and the provider unavailable to comment) Back of CV grease package notes "...CV Joint Lubricant meets or exceeds all OEM specifications."
- Has anyone used "TCS CV grease"? It's black in color. OEM mustard colored grease is also included.
- Any other recommendations for a high temp grease which works?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• left CV boot.jpg
    left CV boot.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 413
  • right CV boot.jpg
    right CV boot.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 417
  • CV repack kit.jpg
    CV repack kit.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 400
If the grease is the right type, there should be no leakage. If you can move the boot where the clamp is then it's too loose. That would be my only guess. I have headers with no shields (I did wrap them lately), original boots (1991 w/120K), new grease, I track my car, but I did tighten the clamps when I repacked the old boots. No leaks.

If you are tracking your car you may need to install vents. PM Coz for info on how he vented his.

Could also be what BrianK and pg said.

1. Your pic of the boot kit shows additional grease in separate bags, this should not be used.

2. The grease that I see leaking is old grease, not 2000KM new grease. Was each joint disassembled and cleaned??

3. Did you use the KD3191 banding tool(link below) and follow the service bulletin to mount the bands?

http://www.automotivetoolsonline.co...t-Clamp-Tightening-Wrench-KD3191_p_11448.html

Additionally did you use the new bands in the Honda Kit?

I have done 100's of these and have had no leaking using the proper tools, methods, parts;).

If you have questions LMK....

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
thanks for replies...

pgilliam1 - The band/boot does not feel "loose" ie when I tug and push by hand there's no play.

briank - I hope this is the issue, just repack and reclamp with right tool.

edinkali - thanks will search "coz" for more info on venting.

Larry B -

1) Noted on grease. The kit was sent to me by a reputable japan based nsx tuner. I've had some issues in contacting them for more info on the kit. Do the outter and inner CVs utilize the same type of grease?

2) more background info - The car was shipped to/from and rebuilt in japan. From what I can see, the shaft ends have been repainted (the entire car was stripped down bare and rebuilt). Judging from quality of work on rest of car, imagine the boots were removed to do this and should have been properly cleaned & re-packed.

Car's done 2000 kms since OH but that was 3-4 years ago. About half of kms were done under hard driving. Then the car sat for couple years during which it was regularly started and brought to operating temps.

3) Haven't used the new bands yet, as haven't started work yet. I don't know how to verify if the bands on there now are OEM honda parts.

Will other band clamp tools work (plier type) or winding type is preferred?

Can someone point me to the service bulletin information?

Thanks again.

1. Your pic of the boot kit shows additional grease in separate bags, this should not be used.

2. The grease that I see leaking is old grease, not 2000KM new grease. Was each joint disassembled and cleaned??

3. Did you use the KD3191 banding tool(link below) and follow the service bulletin to mount the bands?

http://www.automotivetoolsonline.co...t-Clamp-Tightening-Wrench-KD3191_p_11448.html

Additionally did you use the new bands in the Honda Kit?

I have done 100's of these and have had no leaking using the proper tools, methods, parts;).

HTH,
LarryB

This ^ makes me happy since I'm taking my car to Larry for this exact issue tomorrow!

2. The grease that I see leaking is old grease, not <b>2000KM</B> new grease. Was each joint disassembled and cleaned??

HTH,
LarryB

I will be doing something similar soon. What is this new grease and can it be purchased separately? Should I purchase it instead of using the grease pictured (yellow bottle)?

My new boots did not come with the 2 small packages of CV grease, only the bottle grease. I have noticed a slight leak around my boots recently. I'd better double check everything. :frown:

To clarify, the "kit" I posted was pieced together by an independent company. I'm not sure what the small black grease package shown in pics are to be used for and have not been able to contact them for further comment.

Larry, thanks again for your advise.

When the cause/solution is confirmed, will update here.

Back