• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Streetable track tires

Any experience with streetable track tires on the NC1? Going to replace my tires come summer and would like to maximize traction. Will start tracking, but no plans to regularly do so as of yet. Obviously will be relegated to dry weather driving only. Tread depth and lifespan is somewhat of a consideration.

Will start tracking, but no plans to regularly do so as of yet.
If your car is 99% street driven, just put Michelin Cup 2 (not 2R) tires on it. They're fine on wet roads without standing water, they don't need to be thrown out if they ever freeze, they last a long time even on the track, they aren't loud, they come up to temperature pretty quickly, and the grip is great. They turn to stone below about 40 degrees F, but that's their only real downside compared to lesser summer tires.

Michelin makes a lot of very different tires called "Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2", with different compounds and constructions even for the same nominal size. The ones they make for Porsche ('N' spec) come in NC1 sizes and will probably work great on your car.

I'm thinking the Type S tire might be a option..

Think the Connects are a bit too track focused?
No, but in your sizes they're only available in a generic spec, and they're more expensive. I have no experience with the Cup2 240 (Connect or not), but the regular 180-treadwear Cup2 is a very well-known proven tire. I'd wait to try the 240 until Michelin makes it specifically for an AWD mid- or rear-engine car.

So with 99% street driving, Cup2 is better than PS4? Not sure which one to order. Roads here have low grip.
OP asked specifically about "streetable track tires". It's a loose category, but PS4 wouldn't be in it by most definitions.

I live where the weather's good year-round, so tires on my cars are Cup2 and BFG Rival S1.5. But for people who live someplace colder or where it regularly rains a lot -- or who just don't want to pay Cup2 prices -- PS4 might be more appropriate.

If you want tire temps get a good pyrometer , I use a needle type you insert into the rubber, take 3 from inner to outer as a gauge of contact patch/alignment...try and record them as soon as you get off track..

Thanks for the pointers. Looking forward to introducing myself to tracking the NSX come warmer weather.

Back