• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Buttonwillow Bible - Track Notes by Billy Johnson

MotoIQ-FXMDlogo.png

600322371_VRAnf-L.jpg

The Buttonwillow Bible - Fast Lap (In Car Video Inside!)
Turn by turn track notes

By Billy Johnson

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...Johnson-Buttonwillow-Configuration-13-CW.aspx

Editorial Note- I would like to introduce MotoIQ's latest columnist Billy Johnson. You have probably heard of him as one of the top Time Attack Pilots in the country. Outside of the Import Performance world, Billy is also a Top Professional racer competing in the Grand-Am Sport Car Series for Horsepower Ranch/Roush Racing's Ford Mustang GT with a winning track history. Billy is also a Skip Barber instructor. It is an honor to have someone of his caliber gracing our pages. Follow Billy in upcoming months as he shows us the fast way around many of our countries fastest track and gives us advanced tips on driving and racecraft. You know I will.

Buttonwillow (BW) is a great test track used by many professional sports car and formula car racing teams because of the track’s variety of corners. From on-camber and off-camber corners, to sweepers, chicanes, hairpins, and man-made elevation changes, BW is a well-balanced and technical track that challenges both the driver and car. In recent years BW has become center for Time Attack drivers and teams attracting cars from as far away as Japan. Like Tsukuba Circuit in Japan, Buttonwillow has become the milestone for lap times for the top tuners in the time attack world. It has also become the benchmark for bragging rights for many OEM manufacturers.

Enjoy!

-Billy

I haven't been on it for quite a while myself(not since the first year it opened). I think we ran it in 22 turn configuration. Instead of the turn 15 sweeper we went all the way out to the sharp right hander and then the right hand run up to the esses. On a motorcyle you can really rip through those esses. Really fun track.

Love the in car video Billy! :) Thanks for posting that!

Last edited:
Back