• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Saga of my 1993 Formula Red NSX

Well, I know the money in classic cars is orignality and when I bought this car I couldn't believe that it was fairly unmolested. Outside of the wheels and an S2000 antenna, this car was bone stock. I told myself, do not modify this car in any way that will detract from it's originality and I plan on keeping to that mantra. However, bolt ons are fair game in my book as the original parts will stay in my storage shed and travel with me while I move around the US in the Army. I posted some pictures of the car in the general discussion Gen 1 forum, but it was technically under another member's post as he was debating about buying the car while I was looking at it. Below is what the car looked like the day I bought it. The white light accentuates some of the swirling in the paint which was the first thing I addressed.

5b44a491040006ef4c20901be6e37b20_zpslnm49slz.jpg

After about three hours worth of work with the clay bar and dual action, I was able to restore some of the luster of the 23 year old paint.

01-2_zpsksmlyjez.jpg

Now the fun begins. Having the stock exhaust on this car is cool in a sense (resale value), but I definately wanted the car to sound as good as she looks. Since Hawaii is small, I am willing to go as loud as I can handle that wouldn't sound horrible. I looked around, sent some messages to companies, individuals who build this stuff in the spare time, etc, until I was pointed in the direction of Pride's new V2 RFL exhaust. There has been only a couple sound clips on YouTube, but I seem to like what I hear so I am going to give it a shot. They are on order and I am waiting for them to come in, once they do I will break out the camera and external mics for some sound bites.

image_zps75pxn5zh.jpeg

Next, since those wheels aren't stock for this model year, I plan on looking for a set of 15/16's once I get back to the 48 states. In the meantime, I want something different than these and I found an EBay dealer with some bronze Motegi's that I think will work on this car. They are some flow formed aluminum wheels that appear to be decent looking and fairly lightweight. 17x8 in the front and 18x9 in the rear with NSX offsets. Paired with some Amazon Prime shipped 215/40/17's and 265/35/18's from Nexus, I will be in this set of wheels for about $1250 once they are mounted. The end price will of course be offset by the sell price of my stock wheels, which some local Honda/Acura guys want for some reason.

image_zps8vrwzhmm.jpeg

Once I get this stuff bolted on, I will be looking at re-upholstering the interior as the leather has definately seen it's fair share of 162K miles worth of rear ends. I would like to replace the suspension with some Bilsteins on the lower perch/stock springs, but I may hold on that due to Hawaiian roads. A lip spoiler and maybe Prides NSX-R rear spoiler in the future too, but I don't know quite yet. Given I am only a week into the car, I should probably hold off any more mods. Frankly, the money that I am using now was because I thought I was going to have to pay in the $21K-$22K range to get the car. At $18.5K, I had some meat on the bone to play with.

More to come once I get the parts in!

So, turns out most people turn and run when they see Hawaii as the shipping destination. The wheels were put on hold until I found a replacement. And boy, did I find a replacement. Found a refinished set of JDM Volk Racing GT-N wheels from SCW Performance in Texas. So, they get shipped out on Monday, hopefully have them on by the end of next week.

1653463_922630967812013_1262151369482054111_n_zpshcbmuhtq.jpg

Cell phone photo plus it was raining while I installed these this afternoon, but here is the final product for wheels. Volk Racing GT-N, 17x8 +41mm and 18x9 +45mm wrapped in Nexan N'Fera SU1 (215/40/17 front and 265/35/18 rear). eventually I will get a set of Bilsteins to drop this monster truck...well...maybe.

IMG_20151113_120125_zps9ibpklwo.jpg

Congratulations on your purchase and thank you for your service. The car looks phenomenal :cool: I only recommend that you purchase the OEM front chin spoiler, or an aftermarket (Shine Spec-GT) lip kit.

Congratulations on your purchase and thank you for your service. The car looks phenomenal :cool: I only recommend that you purchase the OEM front chin spoiler, or an aftermarket (Shine Spec-GT) lip kit.

That was actually my afternoon adventure in the car to break in the new tires. I've tried every online source to get a OEM chin spoiler, but after shipping (many wouldn't even ship to HI) a $140 part would cost me $220-$250. So, normally I don't go to dealers but I went to Acura of Honolulu today to give it a good old college try. The guys there were really nice, allowed me to park the NSX (parking is slim to none usually anywhere in town) right in the front. Took me like 20 minutes to actually get inside from all the attention the car was getting from the salesmen. Ended up getting the OEM unit for $180 which is the best price I could have gotten for being on this island.

The price you pay to live in paradise I guess. For now, the saga continues on Monday. Hopefully I can get the V2 RFL bolted up so I can get some WOT pulls with audio using my good camera.

With a little free time off this morning, I decided to tackle the windshield wiper arms which were very neglected with bare metal showing. Figured since I always have half used cans of spray paint around, it would be a $0 modification that has been annoying me more than anything else. Also, the $7 metal Walmart blades with surface rust on them had to go.

1. Used this black engine enamel I had. Turned out to be the only black paint product I had.

20151114_114338_zpsy1fho2y2.jpg

2. Need some PB Blaster to aid getting the arms off. Next I used some simple green and a scrub pad to clean the surface. Let everything air dry in the sun out here.

20151114_113829_zpskku2f1qs.jpg

Here was was the sad shape these things were in while drying.

20151114_114310_zpsyszuhffo.jpg

3. After 3 coats, I was happy with the product. We will see how long they last in this Hawaiian sun.

20151114_161728_zpszfpsjvoq.jpg

Finished and and installed with some new Icon blades.

20151114_162638_zpsec4sj7li.jpg

The forum has been helpful so far in helping me progress in the car. Yesterday I had a difficult time starting the car, after doing some searching I fell upon the main relay issue that many people experience. I took that back panel off, tapped the housing of the main relay, and then the car was able to start. Ordered a new one and in time I'll get the solder gun on the old one has a replacement.

I need to update my post. I have made some changes to the car just haven't had time to fully document my build yet. I am in progress of finishing up the BBK, but currently waiting for some help to bleed the brake lines. Once I get my real camera out, I will post the photos here in the thread. Right now, splitting time (and money :)) between this car and my Chevy SS Sedan is difficult. It's starting to get more attention right now as I am waiting for a nice healthy cam to shove in that LS3.

List of modifications I haven't had time to document:

- New Interior Seat Covers
- EuroBoutique Steering Wheel
- OEM Front Lip Spoiler
- APR Carbon Fiber Spoiler
- Stoptech Front BBK
- Downforce Carbon Side Air Intake

Last edited:
Back