• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ticket for 5 mph over

Okay, so the first ticket in 8 years was 3 months ago. 84 in a 70 in my daily driver coming home from work. I deserved that one, although it was passing a semi that wouldn't get out of the damn left lane. BUT, I did it - fine.

Present tense:

So I take off from the light. Didn't break traction, just took off spiritedly. Took it up toward the redline and shifted. No more did I get to second and a cop is behind me - lights on. I pull over and first he asks "I assume you know why I stopped you?" Since I was in 1st gear, I really had no idea I was speeding. It was a 30 mph zone. "I clocked you at 35 in a 30." So I start to think he may have just wanted to see the car. He asks how much horsepower. Then what year it is. Since he's making small talk, I oblige. I thought MAYBE I'd catch one break with these slap nuts. He then asks for license and registration. I give it to him and am questioning my first round of thinking - that I would get a warning. Of course not. As I sat there longer and longer I realize I'm screwed. He returns with ticket in hand. His tone completely changed. Told me I need to watch how much noise I'm making, and that I could hurt myself or someone else. My blood is absolutely boiling. I say to him, "You know, my wife has been pulled over 6 times in this town, and she's been given nothing but verbal warnings. A little consistency would be nice." His response, "You just worry about being careful."

I don't care whether I win or lose, I'm going to the court date. It was the 2nd time I had driven the car, and I was speeding by 5 mph. I'll also throw in the cop's name whom 2 years ago walked around the blind corner of my garage while I was enjoying a beer and asked for a ride in the Lotus I had at the time. After he had seen me drinking a beer, I gave him a ride in the Lotus. Mind you it was the only beer I had, but he had no clue how many I had and didn't bother to ask. He was just excited to see a car he loved. We broke all kinds of speed limits that day, with him in uniform, on duty, and in my passenger seat.

On top of the incompetence of the police force with the recent (2 weeks ago) attempted break in of my home, I've friggin had it with these guys. Just a bunch of meat heads. Believe it or not, I'm REALLY holding back so I don't cross any lines on the forum.

Whether you guys know it or not, you're the best. Thanks for giving me the time of day for my rant.

All the Best and Watch Your Ass,

Joe

That sucks.

I was pulled over like that in my 1st NSX about 10yrs ago when living in Florida...accept I got arrested, almost...and the car got towed, almost.

I accelerated from al ight staying in 1st gear, cop right behind me. I saw him, I hit the gas....hard, Comptech Exhaust is LOUD, but I didn't leave any rubber behind, shot up to 35mph, the posted speed limit...he hits the lights pulls me over in front of everyone at the beach. Ask for license, reg and insurance. Says I was speeding, no way!! Tells me my insurance card is expired and he's towing the car and arresting me unless someone can come with a current one.

I make a phone call, card is on the way, he calls for a wrecker....we wait, gives me 15 minutes...wrecker shows up, he says he has to take another call, but the car is getting towed, new body kit just installed doesnt do well on the flatbed. Cop leaves, wrecker driver says $200 and I'll let you have it back...done.

Go to court show my insurance card, ticket dropped. Speeding convicted. Fantastic!

You will probably get the ticket dropped or get a non moving violation.

This was a long time and now I try to behave or at least not get caught, when I do, I can name drop, many freinds in blue now and even a DA, so I havent had a ticket in a while....here's my new plate.:biggrin:

Cars1995AcuraNSXNew069.jpg

Yeah from previous experiences I'm lucky to have a 50/50 split of nice cops and dick head cops. But boy the ones on the dick head sides are really really big dicks. Good luck you man.

Go get em Joe .... You can only be respectful and hope for the best outcome in these situations. It helps to know someone and after giving that guy a ride I would have kept in touch with him. Hope everything works out for you in the end

Is it me, or has there been a crap ton of police officers out giving speeding tickets.

In the past week, I know of 6 separate people who've gotten speeding tickets....this being 7!

:frown:

That sucks.

I got a 29mph ticket in a 25mph residential area in my 300ZXTT after doing the same kinda thing....hitting it and taking first up into high revs. This was years ago. I was pissed but I just paid it out and lived with it. :mad:

But I dunno, 5mph? What would your basis be to fight that? If you were clocked, I think he's got you.

No tickets in almost 5 years here. I'm knocking on wood cause they are out in full force as of late.

Okay, so the first ticket in 8 years was 3 months ago. 84 in a 70 in my daily driver coming home from work. I deserved that one, although it was passing a semi that wouldn't get out of the damn left lane. BUT, I did it - fine.

Present tense:

So I take off from the light. Didn't break traction, just took off spiritedly. Took it up toward the redline and shifted. No more did I get to second and a cop is behind me - lights on. I pull over and first he asks "I assume you know why I stopped you?" Since I was in 1st gear, I really had no idea I was speeding. It was a 30 mph zone. "I clocked you at 35 in a 30." So I start to think he may have just wanted to see the car. He asks how much horsepower. Then what year it is. Since he's making small talk, I oblige. I thought MAYBE I'd catch one break with these slap nuts. He then asks for license and registration. I give it to him and am questioning my first round of thinking - that I would get a warning. Of course not. As I sat there longer and longer I realize I'm screwed. He returns with ticket in hand. His tone completely changed. Told me I need to watch how much noise I'm making, and that I could hurt myself or someone else. My blood is absolutely boiling. I say to him, "You know, my wife has been pulled over 6 times in this town, and she's been given nothing but verbal warnings. A little consistency would be nice." His response, "You just worry about being careful."

I don't care whether I win or lose, I'm going to the court date. It was the 2nd time I had driven the car, and I was speeding by 5 mph. I'll also throw in the cop's name whom 2 years ago walked around the blind corner of my garage while I was enjoying a beer and asked for a ride in the Lotus I had at the time. After he had seen me drinking a beer, I gave him a ride in the Lotus. Mind you it was the only beer I had, but he had no clue how many I had and didn't bother to ask. He was just excited to see a car he loved. We broke all kinds of speed limits that day, with him in uniform, on duty, and in my passenger seat.

On top of the incompetence of the police force with the recent (2 weeks ago) attempted break in of my home, I've friggin had it with these guys. Just a bunch of meat heads. Believe it or not, I'm REALLY holding back so I don't cross any lines on the forum.

Whether you guys know it or not, you're the best. Thanks for giving me the time of day for my rant.

Joe
Those little towns and villages LOVE their 30 zones. I avoid those areas like the plague, and now many of them have no businesses still open just empty store fronts, but the lights are still on at the town hall.:rolleyes: Don't these idiots see what they are doing? The town I am thinking of was a booming village when I was a kid. I got a speeding ticket there 20 something years ago and said to the judge then that their over enforcement would ruin the town and that she would not see me in town again buying anything, that the fine was the last money they would get from me...and it was. I am giving all the time, you get to be greedy ONCE.

Present tense:

Joe

If you really want out of the ticket, are willing to burn several hours and don't mind making enemies with the popo. Go to court, plea not guilty, appeal, subpoena the dash cam, the chief of police, the cops records and his instructors from the academy.

It likely was not the 5 MPH over but how you got to it.

As an aside, the comments re your wife getting all of these warnings....blah blah blah was not a wise decision. Be polite and respectful and generally do not say stuff like, "I was late for my haircut". Those comments will always make it on the back of the ticket and will be repeated in court by the officer.

Hey I got one of those the other year! 5mph over. Guy was a bit of a snob too. No talking, nothing, you were speeding, sign here, now get out of my sight. Whatever Mr. OC Sheriff. :mad:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I like the subpoena idea, that's great! In reality (SilverStone05 is right), I probably don't have a chance in court. I'm counting on that, but it won't stop me from going to the hearing anyway. I'm liking steveny's approach to the situation. Not too confrontational, yet to the point. You're right on the money with the comment about the empty store fronts. It's ridiculous around here. This used to be such a nice town. Makes me angry and sad all at once. . . .Grrrrrr. . . .Wahhhhhh!

I have also heard of instances where tickets were dropped when things such as tire wear which changes the diameter of the tire and speedo calibration of your car could make the reading on the speedo inaccurate and the ticket will be thrown out because of it.

Man sorry to hear about your ticket.....I think every town needs revenue and the small ones usually need something to do, so they are more proactive.

But I really think 5mph over the limit is bs.....but you got pulled over because you floored it in one gear which makes them pull you over for speeding or exhibition of speed even.

Like Cairo said its not the fact of going the speed limit, its how you got there.

Driving normally and shifting at 3000 rpm vs 8000 rpm will decide on you getting pulled over....plus driving a red exotic car doesn't help much either....

Hope you can just fight it or you can just go to traffic school....but yes don't say my wife gets off or anything like that.....just be polite and just say sorry I didnt realize I was going 5 over or the clutch slipped and i accidentally reved it......:redface:

Some cops are pretty nice and some will just give you a ticket.

One of my cop friends say everyone gets tickets when he pulls them over because when he is nice and he lets them go....they end up complaining and trying to file a complaint against him...so everyone gets a ticket when he pulls them over.

I have also heard of instances where tickets were dropped when things such as tire wear which changes the diameter of the tire and speedo calibration of your car could make the reading on the speedo inaccurate and the ticket will be thrown out because of it.

I know one guy that tried that and left with two tickets to pay. One for the original speeding and another for improper equipment.

The best thing to do when you're pulled over is be ignorant of everything you are being accused of. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

If you admit to being in a hurry, for example, it's almost as bad as admitting you were speeding.

Often, an officer will stop you based upon what your intent appears to be. If you nail the throttle and make it to 35 mph before he lights you up, he could easily argue that you appeared to be attempting to race or else just go all out... no telling what speed you intended to achieve. In his mind, he needs to stop you before you become a danger to yourself or others.

I don't know about Indiana, only California, but can you go for a Written Declaration there? Here, you request a form and then write your defense. You mail it in, a judge reviews it, and reviews the cops view (IF he/she writes one). I fought a speeding ticket last year for 65 in a 50 zone, and it worked. I used http://www.ticketassassin.com/ for all the forms and advice. I don't know if that's possible where you live, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

The pigs are out for blood. People get pulled over for haveing fog lights. I got pulled over for fog lights on my car. The asshole cop told me it was not legal and that anything that did not come stock on the car was not legal also. I guess I better take out my Ipod from my civic because it is not stock.

On the way to the lakehouse this weekend, we received a phone call -from friends who were about an hour ahead of us on the freeway- letting us know that there was a 4 cop speed trap set up in a construction zone near the KY/TN border.

I made sure I was at 55 when I came upon the alleged site....and much to my surprise there were only two cop cars- and a wrecker pulling one of the cop cars out of the ditch. The cops were arguing so it didn't appear that anyone was hurt. So I had to laugh as I accelerated back to 85. ;)

Last edited:
Luckily here in Florida they can't cite you for 5mph over the speed limit. Six mph will get you a ticket. :biggrin:

Unfortunately, the police force is a business. They are seldom there to catch the "bad guy."" They are paid to make money and the easiest way is to point a radar gun and write you up.

Dont get me started on police officers! Im 31, and i never got to truly race a car from light to light. i was always in a POS. Im sure when these officers of the law were young, would boot around in a 5000 lbs boat with a big block V8! The safety standards back then were horrible and the amount of mass traveling at that speed was ridiculous! to not take their life experiences into consideration in "jonas1jp" case is down right ignorant.

I would not think twice about paying a ticket if they were to "protect and serve" instead of screwing over the taxpayers that pay their Bloody wages.

I know most police officers are there to make our roads safe but lets step it up and start protecting us from other dangers like drugs gun violence and murders. They should be there when the crime happens and not be there to snap a chalk line or sweep up the bloody mess left behind.

anyways im going to have a cold shower, cold beer and stare at my car for a bit. :biggrin:

My speedo is exactly 3mph fast. In the past 3 yrs i have seen it more than once because of my 17's matched with the tire size I run(and based on basic math).

Even as slow as 45mph(zone) my speedo is off by exactly 3mph. So keep in mind alot of you guys are running 18/19s with different sizes than OEM.

you will hardly ever win. i once proved in court that the cop was changing his story (lie under oath) yet it still did not stop the judge from siding with the po.

Back