• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Time for a new toy. Advice?

Hi folks,
If you don't want to wade thru all this long post, please drop down to last large paragraph for my main question.

Long time auto enthusiast here looking for something new and interesting for an occasional driver, weekend trip type of thing...probably not too many miles per year. Previously, I've owned things from the likes of a '63 Renault Caravelle S, to a '54 MGTF, to a '66 E-type roadster, & have a '67 Camaro in the slow restoration stage. I'm a fairly decent hobbiest-mechanic, having replaced head gaskets, pulled & rebuilt a couple of engines, swapped out transmissions & differentials, etc., so not afraid of dealing with the occasional maintenance or mechanical issues if they should arise.

My main considerations besides finding a fun, attractive, different ride are that it have at least moderate to good reliability & parts/service availability & have a likelihood of limited depreciation and maintenance costs. Don't need a spotless garage-queen that I would need to worry about scratching, or one with super low mileage or special options. Probably won't be doing any significant mods. Cash is not an issue except that spousal pressure will probably keep me under $45K. I'm in Atlanta area, but free to drive or fly pretty much anywhere, any time, if necessary.

A '94 or later NSX would seem to be a good fit, & I've already gleaned a lot of useful information from this forum. Thanks to all.

That being said, I'm curious if anyone can comment on this '94 in the marketplace section: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-both-JH4NA126XMT002674-amp-JH4NA1262RT000439 ? From his posts, seller seems to be a fairly knowledgeable car guy. Looks like the car has been on offer for a while, so I'm wondering if its issues are high mileage and less-desirable auto trans, or if there are other factors in play. I'm not inclined to the auto, but it's not totally out of the question (wife can't drive a manual). I haven't set up Carfax yet for my searches, so if anyone has access & would be willing to comment on that status before I check, that would be OK, too.

Thanks in advance. Will be glad to provide clarifications or answer questions anyone might have.

Cheers,
Bill

Wife can't drive a manual ??? Even more reason you need to get one with a manual :biggrin:

If she insist in driving it, well you better teach her how... These cars were made to be manuals with the high rev engine... You'll be kicking yourself if you get auto...

I agree. The NSX sounds like a good car for you. It is not hard to work on, tends to be quite reliable, and is a great car to drive. But I think a lot of the greatness would be subdued, if not completely squelched, by an automatic. It's about as easy a manual transmission to drive as I have ever experienced. It is true that it has some reputation for not taking well to a style of feathering the clutch (which will wear it out) but it also does not react poorly to a quick engagement, so that's a nonissue in my book.

That being said, I'm curious if anyone can comment on this '94 in the marketplace section: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-both-JH4NA126XMT002674-amp-JH4NA1262RT000439

Nothing inherently wrong with the 94 that you listed, seems like a decent enough car. However, the pricing really makes the most sense if you buy the 1991 that comes with it. If you are spending $30k on the 1994, you might as well just pony up the extra $15k and get the 1991 that comes with it.

With regards to your question, I would say the really big question you should be asking is whether you want a targa top or not. Since you didn't mention tracking in your list of activities, the later model targas are open candidates for you. Once you have that decision ironed out, you should be able to pin down a car that is good for you.

Best of luck in your search.

I'll add my quick .02. For what it seems like you are looking for, there is a car (although not local to) you currently advertised FS here on Prime that may work for you. It's a 1997 Spa yellow with a reduced price of $42,900 OBO. See here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...a-Yel-Blk-VIN-JH4NA2160VT000098?highlight=spa. The seller has it listed on Ebay with that price even though the Prime ad hasn't been updated to reflect the price change. With the 97+ you get the extra HP, and 6spd transmission. I don't know if you would be partial to yellow (maybe I'm biased) but it is a great color in person. The car isn't a garage queen, has a couple of cosmetic imperfections and maintenance that needs addressing but that could all be factored into the final selling price. Good luck in your search!

Wife can't drive a manual ??? Even more reason you need to get one with a manual :biggrin:

Heh, sounds reasonable to me, but I'm not sure I'll try that argument in any discussions with ​her ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing inherently wrong with the 94 that you listed, seems like a decent enough car. However, the pricing really makes the most sense if you buy the 1991 that comes with it. If you are spending $30k on the 1994, you might as well just pony up the extra $15k and get the 1991 that comes with it.

That's what I thought at first, too, then noticed seller had updated (posted below original) that he had sold the '91, and now wants $25k for the '94. Maybe a good enough deal to try one out & move to a stick/targa later?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll add my quick .02. For what it seems like you are looking for, there is a car (although not local to) you currently advertised FS here on Prime that may work for you. It's a 1997 Spa yellow with a reduced price of $42,900 OBO. See here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...a-Yel-Blk-VIN-JH4NA2160VT000098?highlight=spa. The seller has it listed on Ebay with that price even though the Prime ad hasn't been updated to reflect the price change. With the 97+ you get the extra HP, and 6spd transmission. I don't know if you would be partial to yellow (maybe I'm biased) but it is a great color in person. The car isn't a garage queen, has a couple of cosmetic imperfections and maintenance that needs addressing but that could all be factored into the final selling price. Good luck in your search!

Thanks, I do like the looks of the yellow ones. Tempting...may check into that one a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Polaris slingshot

How odd, I'll pass a link to my brother, the Harley rider. Myself? I think I'd rather just have a Lotus 7.

Back