• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unlocking ATT Phone for Overseas Use?

I read some of the threads on iphone but here is the scenario.

We were told by the local ATT (dealer) store that as long as my daughter was beyond 6 mos contract, she could request of ATT customer service (not them at the local store) to issue the special unlocking code/key for my daughter's BalckBerry after which she could purchase a new sim card in Europe and that will take care of it without new contract/plan, etc. The local store said it was illegal for them to do this but ATT customer service was allowed to issue the key.

Well we called ATT customer service while in the store and one dufus guy who couldn't speak proper English started with (a) she had to wait until her 2 year contract had expired (she has a year to go), and (b) they could not find our account or the key! He kepts insisting that we need to buy a new service/contract!

We have asked the local ATT (dealer) store to pursue this as this was their suggestion. Some 6+ hours now, and they haven't called back. My daughter flies to Europe for 6 mos (study abroad) on Friday am.

I know there a few Prime members who work at ATT so before I call you out by name :eek::biggrin: do you have any other ideas? Otherwise we may have to opt for prepaid phone.

Edit: We just found out that our BlackBerry phones are ATT issued exclusives and they can't be unlocked even we are still staying with ATT! And their international data/messaging plans are quite a racket when you consider its all add on top of already paid US data/messagin plan even when this will not be used for mos ........

Last edited:
I have unlocked my phones using ATT customer service. As long as the phone has been out longer than six months they are obligated to provide the unlocking code. You supply the IMEI number from the phone. They will either give it to you over the phone, If they are not they will notify technicians from specified brands and an email will be sent to you with directions on how to unlock. The email will also entail the unlocking code for the specific phone. You only have several tries to unlock by entering the correct code. If the code is entered incorrectly over the allotted amount the phone becomes unlockable subject to att services only. Hope that helps.

note one of my requests went through email 2 business days later. You can itterate your urgency to speed up process if your att rep tries a little harder.

Last edited:
Yes, we have tried that approach - giving them IMEI numbers. The dealer called and confirmed what I also did separately to verify - they claim our BalckBerry issued by ATT which exclusive - does not have unlocked feature. I will have to call BalckBerry to confirm this.

Is that a BlackBerry Torch?

Advice to get you by in this pinch - snag an unlocked used blackberry off craigslist for cheap.

Good luck.

Well, its amazing what one learns outside the actual dealer's spiel.

A national legitimate franchise with a local store - which was referred to us by no other than one of the ATT authorized retail stores locally - was able to unlock the ATT BlackBerry phone for $40 in 10 minutes.

I really have no sympathy to dealers (ATT or others) when they claim it can't be done solely for the purpose of selling add on services at significant markup.

Well, its amazing what one learns outside the actual dealer's spiel.

A national legitimate franchise with a local store - which was referred to us by no other than one of the ATT authorized retail stores locally - was able to unlock the ATT BlackBerry phone for $40 in 10 minutes.

I really have no sympathy to dealers (ATT or others) when they claim it can't be done solely for the purpose of selling add on services at significant markup.

Glad it worked out, I had went through something almost similar with my dell streak 5. Was told can't do it. Dells customer techs were no help. Researched online. Called the att rep again (more experienced one) was reffered to another franchise store who assisted , outcome an unlocked dell. Persistance paid off.

Back