• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

wax/grease remover before retouching?

I finally got around to buying some retouch paint and clear coat. The instructions call for using a wax and grease remover first (duh!). My question is what product/compound is appropriate for this. I have many soaps/detergents/solvents around the house, any of which will deal with grease, but I'm uncertain how to deal with wax. The last wax applied to my car was a "liquid polymer", whatever that is.
Any suggestions?

(old threads suggest 50/50 isopropyl/water; is that still the consensus?)

Last edited:
Rubbing alcohol is your best bet for spot-removing wax. If you're going to strip the entire car and re-wax afterwards, then a gentle dishwashing soap is fine.

Really, anything that removes wax will work. That includes isopropyl alcohol (NOT rubbing compound), products labeled as "bug and tar remover" you can get at your neighborhood auto parts store, and detailing products such as clay products, non-abrasive cleaners (e.g. Zymol HD-Cleanse), and slightly abrasive cleaners (e.g. Meguiar's Swirl Mark Remover). I would not count on dishwashing liquids to remove any built-up wax.

Back