• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What's it going to take?

This is happening here locally. As someone who has been hit by a drunk driver, this really gets me fired up.

A 42-year-old Springville man who was out of prison after serving six years for killing a woman while driving intoxicated was arrested last week in Spanish Fork on suspicion of drunk driving.
Robert J. Vandyke was arrested Sept. 25 about 8 p.m., according to police Lt. Steve Adams.
Vandyke was reported by a citizen who had smelled alcohol on his breath and noticed impaired speech at a ballpark at 200 West Volunteer Drive (750 South), Adams said.
An officer dispatched to the area observed impaired driving before stopping Vandyke several blocks from the ballpark, said Adams, who added that Vandyke refused to perform field sobriety or Breathalyzer tests.
Because Vandyke has had three prior alcohol-related convictions during the past 10 years, Utah County prosecutors are considering filing the case as a felony, Adams said.
Just three months ago, Vandyke's parole in connection with a fatal crash in 2000 was terminated early because he was doing well and had undergone a successful substance-abuse evaluation, according to parole and corrections authorities.
Vandyke had been sentenced to prison for up to 20 years after pleading guilty to second-degree felony automobile homicide and third-degree felony driving under the influence with serious injury.
The convictions stemmed from a Jan. 28, 2000, crash in which Vandyke's pickup truck hit another vehicle at 4800 S. 8400 West in West Valley City.
Michelle Bradley, 36, was killed, and her daughter, 12-year-old Amber, lost an eye. The family's dog was also killed.
The girl's aunt. Elizabeth Dresden, 30, who was nine months pregnant, suffered broken bones.
At the time, Vandyke - whose license had been suspended because of a prior DUI conviction - had a blood-alcohol content 4- times higher than Utah's legal limit of 0.08 percent.
Two weeks prior to the fatal crash, Vandyke was arrested for DUI in Utah County and charged with a third-degree felony. According to 4th District Court records, Vandyke was also arrested for DUI in American Fork in 1997 and in Provo in March 1999, for which he was sentenced to one day in jail, a $500 fine and community service.
Jim Hatch, spokesman for the Utah Board of Pardons and Parole, said Vandyke served one year in jail and five years in prison before he was paroled in January 2006.

So long as we have bleeding heart liberals making decissions these people will continue to drive and kill innocent parties.

I had an opinion for something similar a while back but it was deleted. I respect the admins since they are running the site, hence I got nothing extra to say except for the fact that these people are a waste of hair and shouldn't be a part of society, or the environment for that matter. You drink, you drive, you kill someone, you just voided you life privelages to continue to exist on this planet as far as I am concerned, no excuses.

My little brother was killed by a drunk driver when he was 23. The woman that killed him had rolled a car over several years before while drunk and killed another man riding with her, so it was not her first offense. What will it take? when people are held accountable for their actions, and proper treatment accordingly... and this goes for all things in life..I also believe what comes around, goes around..karma...she ended up drowning in her bathtub drunk several years ago, I had little compassion....just my 2c

my opionin is that EVERY single person today is aware of the dangers they pose to others when they ever have any drink and then drive. My position would be zero tolerance for any amount of alcohol, take a cab. The first time you're caught automaticly 5 years in jail to make damn sure you get the message, second offence LIFE! I dont need to lose my life because you're drunk!
Everytime you drink and drive you put 100% innocent peoples lives in danger for your own selfiousness, thus you are a danger to society and apparantly you dont give a sh*t about it or about anyone else, and you need to be taught a very, very, very harsh lesson. I dont want to loose anyone I love because you want to get wasted and have no concern for anybody else.

btw, my sister came home drunk last night, she drove herself home. If she were to have been picked up I would have ZERO remorse about it and would fully suport any and everything that she has coming to her because of it, times 10!!
if I new she was drinking I would have called the cops myself

I have seen this issue from many angles. My cousin was killed by a drunk boater. My wifes brother has been to prison for driving drunk. He was headed for jail and we all saw it ahead of time. We all tried very hard to get through to him. My sister was dating him at the time and she left him because his drinking was getting so bad. He ended up getting his 3rd DWI the night of the day he got "out off" his 2nd DWI and ended up back in front of the same judge the very next day. The judge sent him to prison for 3 years. He is now a completely different person. Has not had a drop since he went to jail. He has turned his life around for the good. As for my cousin well I think about him everyday. We all miss him VERY much. His killer is already out of jail. :frown:

The other aspect of this is everyone seems to want to make it a "sickness" instead of holding them responsible. I know a gun will blow my brains out if I put it to my head and pull the trigger -so I don't do that. If I did, I deserve to die. Same thing with alcohol.

Back