• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

KW V3 vs TEIN RA

I have TEIN Circuit Master RA on my car.
Pretty sure one of (maybe both) fronts are leaking.
Is it worth Rebuilding them through TEIN or swapping for KW V3

Part 2 is, with the TEIN I don't think I could get a aircups on it for things like speed bumps, driveways etc.... Im sure with KW you can

Can anyone advise ?

If you have kw money, get kw. If you don’t want to spend that much go bc ds with swift springs.

I have TEIN Circuit Master RA on my car.
Pretty sure one of (maybe both) fronts are leaking.
Is it worth Rebuilding them through TEIN or swapping for KW V3

Part 2 is, with the TEIN I don't think I could get a aircups on it for things like speed bumps, driveways etc.... Im sure with KW you can

Can anyone advise ?
The Tein RA/RE are really top-notch coilovers. They are a high-end damper with bespoke valving for the NSX designed and built in Japan, not the China garbage being turned out now like the Flex, etc. If you are happy with the valving, I'd rebuild them- they're a really nice collectors item for the NSX since they've been out of production for 15+ years.

The KW is way more plug and play and is a fine system too. You've just got a cool piece of NSX tuning history on your car. :)

The Tein RA/RE are really top-notch coilovers. They are a high-end damper with bespoke valving for the NSX designed and built in Japan, not the China garbage being turned out now like the Flex, etc. If you are happy with the valving, I'd rebuild them- they're a really nice collectors item for the NSX since they've been out of production for 15+ years.

The KW is way more plug and play and is a fine system too. You've just got a cool piece of NSX tuning history on your car. :)
Agreed! It's unfortunate TEIN gets such a bad reputation among the NSX community simply because they don't offer any high end coilovers for our chassis anymore. I've had Japanese built TEIN in the past on my S20000 (RA and SRC) and also the new chinese stuff (monosport). I was flabbergasted that SRC wasn't available for the NSX.

As for OP's question on air cups--air cups are mostly universal. Your main constraints are going to be shaft and spring diameter. Your springs need to fit within the ID of whatever cup kit you're using and the cup kit company needs to make a cup that fits your shaft diameter. You'll need to get both shaft and spring diameters and call the cup kit company of your choice to see if they have something for you.

Another option... if you're looking for something with a bit more compliant ride quality and higher grip levels

Agreed! It's unfortunate TEIN gets such a bad reputation among the NSX community simply because they don't offer any high end coilovers for our chassis anymore. I've had Japanese built TEIN in the past on my S20000 (RA and SRC) and also the new chinese stuff (monosport). I was flabbergasted that SRC wasn't available for the NSX.

As for OP's question on air cups--air cups are mostly universal. Your main constraints are going to be shaft and spring diameter. Your springs need to fit within the ID of whatever cup kit you're using and the cup kit company needs to make a cup that fits your shaft diameter. You'll need to get both shaft and spring diameters and call the cup kit company of your choice to see if they have something for you.
I made a request to tein and they can do SRC for the nsx. it's just that it falls into the category of custom-made, the price is around £5,000

When I first acquired Charlotte in late 2003 I installed Tein RAs. Loved those things. Back then I occasionally tracked the car but made frequent multi day road trips. The adjustments on the RAs made the things ideal for any type of driving. I had them on the car for about 3 years and put a little over 100k miles on them before I suckered into the EDFC compatible models.

I held onto them but since they had to go to Japan for rebuilding. I went through several sets of coil overs for a while. I'm currently using Tein Flez Zs since about 2019 which suck a softball through 3 miles of garden hose!

I just pulled them out of storage. I called Tein in California earlier this week to see if Japan was still doing rebuilds. They told me no, we can now do the work in California for about $160.00 to $200.00 per unit.

I'm tempted.. What do you guys think?

Based on the previous posts in this thread, I have a funny feeling that @Honcho is going to chime in and say something like "dumb ass, just rebuild them and get them back on Charlotte!"

Last edited:
If you already loved them, and the price is only $800 bucks for a rebuild of that set I think you should do it, given you don't like the coils you're on atm.

I'm chiming in. :D

Rebuild them dumb ass!!

But seriously, those are some legendary NSX dampers and it would be a waste to leave them off the car. They are VASTLY superior to the Flex units on there now. Now that there is a local rebuild service, it's a no-brainer to me. One of the reasons I have MCS is that if something breaks, I can send them to Atlanta and have them fixed.

Which model MCS are you currently using? Street, Track or both?

FYI - there is no such thing as Street or Track models in the MCS universe. MCS builds the dampers that you (or your shop) configure with the appropriate springs (rates and lengths) based on your usage. Custom valving (for spring rates) as well as linear vs digressive valving specifications are available.

Unlike KW, Ohlins, etc these are not shipped from MCS ready to bolt on.

I appreciate the chime! LOL

Mr. Dumb Ass here appreciates your reality check!

Which model MCS are you currently using? Street, Track or both?

Thanks
I'm using the 1WNR, which is the 1-way rebound adjustable damper with no external reservoir. It's fully capable of anything I throw at it. Not cheap though. it was about $4,000 for my setup with Swift Racing springs. The Tein RA is in the same class- it's a bespoke motorsports quality damper that was tuned for the NSX by a major manufacturer on tracks like Tsukuba and Motegi. It has shock bodies and rods cut specifically for the NSX and like all such systems, it has plenty of droop travel. I never liked the rear-biased spring rates though (10F/12R). Many of the Japanese test drivers preferred this bias in the 90's when these systems were being developed. However, I find it too "oversteery." If you're not tracking Charlotte anymore, you might want to see if Tein can re-valve to something like the S-Zero spec (8F/6R). It's a lot more friendly on the street but can still be tracked.

It has shock bodies and rods cut specifically for the NSX and like all such systems, it has plenty of droop travel. I never liked the rear-biased spring rates though (10F/12R). Many of the Japanese test drivers preferred this bias in the 90's when these systems were being developed. However, I find it too "oversteery." If you're not tracking Charlotte anymore, you might want to see if Tein can re-valve to something like the S-Zero spec (8F/6R). It's a lot more friendly on the street but can still be tracked.

Thank you the information @mwagner10702 and @Honcho

For @Honcho
If Tein can re-valve the RAs to the S-Zero spec does that mean that I also need to change the springs to ones with 8F/6R rates as well?

I wouldn't track Charlotte with the TT motor unless she wore a wide body kit that could accommodate IMSA GTP or LMP2 sized wheels/tires. The closest thing to a track that we'll see is The Tail Of The Dragon and surrounding roads.

For @Honcho
If Tein can re-valve the RAs to the S-Zero spec does that mean that I also need to change the springs to ones with 8F/6R rates as well?
Yes, you would need to go to 8/6 springs. Tein may have them, or they may allow you to convert the perches to accept aftermarket racing springs (Swift, Eibach, Hyperco, etc.) like on my MCS. If it's too much hassle, just stick with the current system. You already know you like it.

Back