• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ignition switch light bulb (NOOB question)

Has anyone replaced the ignition switch light bulb? I want to swap mine out to an LED bulb that uses lower wattage or just completely remove this bulb.

Whenever I’m working in the interior leaving the door open, this bulb is constantly on and is draining the battery, outright destroying it.

What are all the interior pieces that need to be removed to get to this light?

Last edited:
I swapped it to LED. It's pretty easy in that you only have to remove a few screws from the panels under the steering wheel. But, the tricky part is actually popping out the knee bolster (the fabric-covered piece that surrounds the key cylinder and trims around under the steering wheel). The clips & slots hold tightly, and the stock knee bolster piece is easy to break, especially the areas around the key.

I recommend slowly working around the edges, and particularly pinch and lift grabbing the area around the key, because that will apply your lifting force very close to the clips, which is what you need to eventually pop them free. I broke my stock knee bolster removing it (you can't tell its broken when its installed, so not the end of the world). The key is patience and pulling, not prying, the piece out.

Once that is out, you are staring at the bulb! All told, even with the knee bolster, I think it's 15-20 minutes to access with a screwdriver.

You can also remove fuse 34, and that will disable all interior courtesy lights (doors, roof, ignition etc.) without affecting other systems very much at all. I removed it for long-term interior work when I ran into the same issue.

Last edited:
Some guidance on removing the knee bolster.

Back