• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Serious issues purchasing vehicle from another prime member - advice needed

OBX

Contributing Member
Thanks for looking, I'm currently in the middle of purchasing a '93 NSX from prime member Jerminator (Jeremy), a member from New Orleans. Here's the quick rundown. Found the car listed on another site on Wednesday for $34,999. I offer him $30k and he accepts. We work out the details and agree to a bank check from my credit union to him (he works at a bank as well). The following day he calls me back saying he wants more money for the car. Mind you we agreed on 30k the day before. I explain that i'm not going to pay more for the car but agree to remove a few items from the vehicle in order for him to recoop some of the money (mainly a few items from the stereo system I won't need). He agrees and I overnight a bank check for 30k. It's received yesterday (Friday) and he confirms this. Following this I begin arranging transport as i'm 14 hours away. Just now I get a text from him stating that "I just spoke with my dad and he doesn't want to sell it for less than 35k". There was never any mention of another person involved PLUS we agreed on 30k on two separate occasions. Am I crazy for being pissed right now? My credit union is closed over the weekend but worst case I could issue a stop payment on the check Monday. I'm just frustrated we agreed on a value, I sent payment and in addition I've put down a deposit for transport.

Put a stop payment on your money, and cancel the transport.
The minute the seller told you he wanted more money you should have walked away.
Good luck on recovering your money

this is ridiculous. and you have every right to be pissed off.

he has confirmed more then once re the amount (a mans word should be worth something) and is trying to squeeze every last dime out of this car (at the expense of your time and money - especially since you have already put money down for transport).

from what i know i have seen the moderators ban members from selling their cars when an agreement to sell a car has been made; and then retracted when the seller greedily wants 'more money'. its an abuse of the buy/sell rules here i believe (which led to the ads being subsequently pulled by the mods).

i hope you can get your shipping money back. also i would buy from a more genuine seller; they are out there on prime.

i am sorry to hear this.

You should be pissed. I know I would. Dealing with these type of people who cant keep their words is such a waste of time. They got greedy for a few thousand bucks. I hope nobody would buy the car at their 35k asking price.

You fully paid for a car without taking posession of it? You may find yourself with much bigger problems. I'd stop payment on that asap and hope it isnt too late. F that person for trying to pull that BS on you. Sounds like it isn't even their car to sell.

Update: The seller (JERMINATOR) contacts me yesterday to say we're all set. I put the deposit down on the transport after arranging the pickup date. I get a text today stating "my dad is being a dick and won't sell the car". The guy has my freaking money and now i'm out on a deposit. More importantly back to square one on my hunt for another NSX. I can't even begin to describe how pissed I am right now.

If I were you I would stop payment on it. Did you get a signed agreement of sales for the car. At the very least I would request one before sending any cashiers check. I had an issue when I flew down to buy my car in florida in april. The seller was supposed to meet me at the airport (saturday morning) go for a test drive and give him the certified cashiers check that I had him even call and talk to my bank about. When I got there he didn't have the car with him and said he wanted to wait to monday when his bank was opened. I wasn't happy about the changes last minute like that, especially because he didn't know what my plans were, driving it back ASAP etc.

If I were you I would put a stop payment on the check, and get a signed (even noterized) sales agreement before sending anymore money.

Good luck let us know how it works out for you.

You mention bank check. Was the car being financed by the bank? Was there a written bill of sale? (i would imagine there is one if you sent him the check). I would be pissed too especially with the down payment for transport and sending the check.

Final update: after jerking me around once again I move on and continue my search for a replacement NSX. Yesterday morning i'm contacted a third time by JERMINATOR stating "I have the title if you want the car". Of course i'm not going through with the transaction at this point. On a brighter note I located a two-owner '92 with 55k original miles and closed the deal today!

Final update: after jerking me around once again I move on and continue my search for a replacement NSX. Yesterday morning i'm contacted a third time by JERMINATOR stating "I have the title if you want the car". Of course i'm not going through with the transaction at this point. On a brighter note I located a two-owner '92 with 55k original miles and closed the deal today!

I'm really confused about your story.
You start out by stating you bought an NSX from NSX Prime member, Jerminator, sent him $30K and put a deposit on car transport.
Then you state Jerminator jerks you around, has your money, you are out of pocket on transport deposit, and have no car.
Then after all that you calmly state you moved on, located a 92 and closed the deal today.

269 Prime members took the time to read your thread and 8 sympathized with your dilemma.

Perhaps you could explain yourself, otherwise to me it looks like you slimed Jerminator for taking your money and jerking you around, but in the end Jerminator refunded your money, the transport company refunded your money and you bought another car????

If I was Jerminator I'd be looking for an explanation

Not sure how it was confusing so i'll try to explain a little better. Please understand I was pretty pissed off when writing the posts above.

I found the original NSX listed by JERMINATOR online and we agreed upon a price (30k) on Wednesday. I offered to wire the money from my bank but he requested a bank check instead. The following day (Thursday) I had the check sent via UPS overnight. That same afternoon I received the first text stating that he was no longer selling the car for 30k AFTER i'd already sent check. He said he wanted more money and that he wouldn't sell for the originally agreed-upon price. At this point I told him I wouldn't pay more than 30k, however if it helped i'd pull a few items from the car (in this case stereo components) that he could sell to recoop some money. He said this would work and I didn't anticipate any additional problems.

On Friday afternoon he text me to confirm receipt of the bank check. Approximately four hours after that he left me a message stating "his dad wouldn't give him the title and he wouldn't sell for less than 35k" so once again he'd gone back on his word AFTER i'd sent payment and AFTER i'd book transport. This is when I really started getting pissed off. Realizing there was a trend developing here I contacted my credit union, explained what was happening and was told they could simply issue a stop payment on the bank check, hence the lack of concern as I knew I wouldn't lose the money. I also had the sellers contact info, place of employment, etc. so I knew how to find him if I had to.

I'd also started looking for another NSX and ran across the one I eventually bought (through a dealer). On Monday morning I had the credit union issue a stop payment just to be safe, wired the money (in lieu of a second check) from my credit union and was able to utilize the same transport company to pick up the car so I didn't lose my deposit.

So cliff's notes the guy changed his mind twice after everything was agreed upon and I'd sent him payment. In my book that's pretty shady stuff. I hope that clears up any confusion as i'm not here to slam someone unless it's deserved and in this case I believe it to be so.

Back