• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1000HP K20 NSX Build-Street Car

Welcome to nsxprime! I spoke with Brandon over the weekend, good guy. Andrew in your area has a MR2 with a K20 swap in it and he is also someone with IMMENSE experience. We all talk to each other and I find its been helping us get a better car in the end! Thank you for the compliments. I would do a spreadsheet to see if it makes sense, it is not cheap or easy. It can be done faster now but you may end up with a car that costs a lot more than you expect.

He wouldn't happen to be the light blue MR2 up in the Phoenix area would he?

That makes sense though and it's something I plan on doing before biting the bullet and going for this. It will be difficult trying to calculate the small custom items that you don't think about till you're dealing with it presently. I may send you a few messages when I get more serious about this. Keep up the good work!

Hi Nick,

It's been a long time since we chatted about an Exedy clutch you were selling, but I just stumbled across your build thread.

I've only skimmed through your thread so far, and all I have to say is "Amazing."

Props to you for getting it done and sticking it out. Can't wait to check this car out some day. Too bad you missed out on NSXPO 2016, but there will always be more NSXcapades to attend.

-jason

Hi Nick,

It's been a long time since we chatted about an Exedy clutch you were selling, but I just stumbled across your build thread.

I've only skimmed through your thread so far, and all I have to say is "Amazing."

Props to you for getting it done and sticking it out. Can't wait to check this car out some day. Too bad you missed out on NSXPO 2016, but there will always be more NSXcapades to attend.

-jason

long time indeed! I should update this thread more it's just a slow crawl for me and almost out of sight out of mind is better when I haven't been driving the car.

Latest update march 2017:
I had the recaro seats and sliders out of the car while I installed a harness bar setup and reran some wires. The seats were sitting in storage basically and some kids ended up stealing them and some fishing poles from the neighbors storage unit about 1 month ago. I finally got a new set of seats and rails and have 1 seat in the car, lmao.

Radiator hose was leaking so I swapped it out for a nice silicone version and bleeding the coolant system is a pain in the rear. Car turns on and drives really good actually.

I need to to swap out the brake master cylinder as one of the seals is slowly going bad. This car has had almost every part replaced or removed.....I have to just laugh it off and know that it gets a little better everyday. I'll update new pics and statuses soon....

I recently did a Brian Crower 3.4L stroker after a hard run and my engine cutoff. I have [MENTION=16398]cody[/MENTION] Lovefab's original 3.0L from his first 2012 Pike's Peak Race. Ive paid SOS to rebuild the trannny once already when I broke an axle drag racing (legally). The car had the NSX-R Differential and 4.23 Final Drive. Since I live in Hawaii, it takes thousands of dollars in shipping to send my tranny off island. Everyone here says go with a dog box, which I'm willing to as long as I don't lose the beauty of driving my 5 speed NSX. It now has a larger turbo AEM infinity with flex fuel, so when we tune, it will make 740ishwhp on pump and 900+whp on ethanol. (I can only get E100 in 55 gallon drums here).

So I just got it back after over a year with a mild tune (630whp) because the ECU saw knock on both sensors, although the tuner can't hear any know with a stethoscope. So I replaced both Knock sensors, and on my second day I was racing a GTR making 525awhp (yes I won), by the time I got home, something is broken in the transmission. It sounds like a bearing. When I jack up the rear of the car, the loud knocking noise gets louder with every gear I increase.

So will somebody PLEASE tell me how I I can make a bullet proof tranny capable of handling closte to 1000whp on a block I just rebuilt and stroked to 3.4 liters and not lose the beauty of how an NSX drives?
Thank you!!!

I recently did a Brian Crower 3.4L stroker after a hard run and my engine cutoff. I have @cody Lovefab's original 3.0L from his first 2012 Pike's Peak Race. Ive paid SOS to rebuild the trannny once already when I broke an axle drag racing (legally). The car had the NSX-R Differential and 4.23 Final Drive. Since I live in Hawaii, it takes thousands of dollars in shipping to send my tranny off island. Everyone here says go with a dog box, which I'm willing to as long as I don't lose the beauty of driving my 5 speed NSX. It now has a larger turbo AEM infinity with flex fuel, so when we tune, it will make 740ishwhp on pump and 900+whp on ethanol. (I can only get E100 in 55 gallon drums here).

So I just got it back after over a year with a mild tune (630whp) because the ECU saw knock on both sensors, although the tuner can't hear any know with a stethoscope. So I replaced both Knock sensors, and on my second day I was racing a GTR making 525awhp (yes I won), by the time I got home, something is broken in the transmission. It sounds like a bearing. When I jack up the rear of the car, the loud knocking noise gets louder with every gear I increase.

So will somebody PLEASE tell me how I I can make a bullet proof tranny capable of handling closte to 1000whp on a block I just rebuilt and stroked to 3.4 liters and not lose the beauty of how an NSX drives?
Thank you!!!

I remember speaking to about your car and I'm pretty sure I recommended you build a Sequential dog box like I did or buy just a PPG synchro gearset for your transmission. The concept is easy build the transmission, now how you do it, you need to contact a NSX transmission shop for details on what parts you need and how to configure some of your setup.

I have lots of electronics going on with mine to control gear cut, gear sensor, wheel speed, boost by gear, traction control, etc.

I will update the thread more soon, I've just been busy an uploading pictures is not the easiest on this forum.

I remember speaking to about your car and I'm pretty sure I recommended you build a Sequential dog box like I did or buy just a PPG synchro gearset for your transmission. The concept is easy build the transmission, now how you do it, you need to contact a NSX transmission shop for details on what parts you need and how to configure some of your setup.

I have lots of electronics going on with mine to control gear cut, gear sensor, wheel speed, boost by gear, traction control, etc.

I will update the thread more soon, I've just been busy an uploading pictures is not the easiest on this forum.

I thought PPG won't build NSX gears anymore. They're in Australia or New Zealand, right? I got them on the phone and they said they stopped making NSX stuff years ago. Do you know something I don't? Since I live in Hawaii, I'd have to ship it to the mainland. I'd probably get SOS to do it as they built my tranny.
Do you know if PPG is still doing NSX gears? Do you have a contact there you would share?
Thanks,

I thought PPG won't build NSX gears anymore. They're in Australia or New Zealand, right? I got them on the phone and they said they stopped making NSX stuff years ago. Do you know something I don't? Since I live in Hawaii, I'd have to ship it to the mainland. I'd probably get SOS to do it as they built my tranny.
Do you know if PPG is still doing NSX gears? Do you have a contact there you would share?
Thanks,

I spoke with Cody Loveland and he's proposed an interesting Idea. I have the engine from his 2102 Pike's Peak NSX (now a 3.4L).
He's suggesting that after he runs the race this year, I ship him my car and he change my engine from tranversly mounted to normal mount, then use the Porsche 6 speed 993 transmission from the race this year. I stood up to 18000whp easily. The only thing is changing the orientation of my engine.
I have that crazy manifold, and if it was pointed backwards it would look like a rocket ship.
View attachment 144321
View attachment 144316
View attachment 144317

Part of me thinks this would be totally radical. But here's biggest worry. All of the beauty and balance of my NSX would be gone and it would not drive like the the NSX Does.
Here's a couple shots of my car itself
View attachment 144318
View attachment 144319
View attachment 144320
View attachment 144322

So any thoughts on Cody's idea. My car will be in the mid 700's on pump and 900+ on ethanol, so I have to either do the k20 swap or Cody's idea. I love Cody's idea, but I fear my car won't drive like the perfect car drives, which is an NSX

I forgot to mention, the Porsche 933 transmission from Cody's race car is completely billett. I'll have no worries, plus I'll love those long gears for my turbo, which after I did the Brian Crower 3.4L Stroker, my car boosts 1000rpms sooner which is beautiful.

Many years ago, I had the opportunity of driving the Honda Switzerland importer's racing NSX.
This car had been modified to take an longitudinal engine but due to many issues was converted back to a transversal engine.
I believe he ran an IMSA engine in the car but I don't know what gearbox he used?

G0616_NSX_0208_zpsd6e2d38f.jpg

Last edited:
Soundeffects I thought your name seemed familiar from the PM! Epic build man! Let's see some more pictures and updates!

May 2017 Updates:

1-Swapped out bad Brake Master cylinder as I found out the internal seals just went bad after 25 years. Awesome braking with Stoptech front and Racing Brake big OEM rear.

2-Swapped out bad Clutch Master cylinder, same as above. Much better.

3-Swapped out SOS clutch dampner bypass and made some stainless steel lines for the clutch slave

4-Swapped out to new Ktuned Clutch slave for Honda K20

5-Removed OEM windshield wiper motor, was very heavy.

6-Found a couple loose bolts in different engine mounts, changed to lock washers, issue is gone.

7-Swapped out alternator to 170amp rebuilt K20 alternator, didn't make much difference but at least its piece of mine knowing it can handle 2x the amperage load now.

8-Powder coated Rear Carbing Strut bar and installed front STMPO strut bar, seems very solid now.

9-Swapped out Honda K20 Jun oil baffle for a K20 Canton racing oil pan with trap door made to work with s2000 oil pump. PSI is very stable now.

10-Swapped out some more stainless lines for lighter black and more E85 resistant lines.

11-Have finally been driving and testing the car now at 700-1000hp. It is stupid scary fast. I'm a nerd so I datalog AEM infinity all the time and review the logs often. I've been playing withe sequential quaife gearbox using closed loop technology and different gear cuts. 1-2nd is the longest but some of the times I'm seeing in the upper gears is really freaky fast considering its cutting power, shifting into next gear and back onto power all automatically in the ECU's so it can't go back on power unless the next gear is completely engaged.

12-VBOX times for 60-130mph just on the first time out are low 4.X and 100-150mph are less than 4.X on this run, it was spinning, and I just mashing the throttle and shifted a bit early. Its going to be very very fast once I hook up traction control and get the rear end to plant better. Look up vbox times if your curious what they are :)

Pending updates for rest of 2017:

1-In the paint shop now for Downforce 2002 headlight conversion and lots of carbon fiber aero panels and add ons under the car.

2-Test some suspension setups to see what this car likes since it weighs much less than 99% of NSX's

3-Add some more bracing on the front end -STMPO and lovefab bars

4-Switch to a bigger intercooler pump even though the Bosch one isn't bad, there is a better one that is a direct swap. Corvette ZR1 pump.

5-Weigh the car again and see I can get it in the 2500lb full fuel, AC, complete interior range

6-Do some 1/4 mile racing with it. It does hold boost at 13lbs which has to be 500hp or so it could do a road course but I suck on the road course honestly.

Random Pictures:

Untitled by . ., on Flickr

I forgot to mention, the Porsche 933 transmission from Cody's race car is completely billett. I'll have no worries, plus I'll love those long gears for my turbo, which after I did the Brian Crower 3.4L Stroker, my car boosts 1000rpms sooner which is beautiful.

Cody made parts for some of my Honda's like 17 years ago! That guy is really good at his stuff but I think this would be crazy. I saw a thread about Hollinger making a NSX gearbox, or maybe Albins can get a dog gear box set. I wouldn't reinvent the wheel if you can buy a gearbox solution for $15K or so.

I don't think it'll substantially change the balance or handling dynamics. I'd do that over a K20.

When the car is out of the paint shop, buzz me, and lets link up. I'm curious what you'll think of my car as its lighter than a normal NSX, it has more room in the engine bay, its corner balanced just the same 50/50 corners and 57/43 rear to front as a stock NSX. The power is very linear at low boost and seems slow at 500hp to my standards and easy to drive. Maybe you can give me some pointers on what to address which I would like.

So I'm waiting to get quotes on paint and bodywork to fit on downforce USA panels for 2002+ conversion, for paint ALONE and labor, no parts...
I'm getting $8000-$8500 without painting door jambs and the same color. Is this crazy or the going rate for good paint work?

Painting cars is extremely expensive.

So I'm waiting to get quotes on paint and bodywork to fit on downforce USA panels for 2002+ conversion, for paint ALONE and labor, no parts...
I'm getting $8000-$8500 without painting door jambs and the same color. Is this crazy or the going rate for good paint work?

For a top job I have been quoted roughly 7-10k depending on options.
I may wrap or autoflex as a temp option.

I recently did a Brian Crower 3.4L stroker after a hard run and my engine cutoff. I have [MENTION=16398]cody[/MENTION] Lovefab's original 3.0L from his first 2012 Pike's Peak Race. Ive paid SOS to rebuild the trannny once already when I broke an axle drag racing (legally). The car had the NSX-R Differential and 4.23 Final Drive. Since I live in Hawaii, it takes thousands of dollars in shipping to send my tranny off island. Everyone here says go with a dog box, which I'm willing to as long as I don't lose the beauty of driving my 5 speed NSX. It now has a larger turbo AEM infinity with flex fuel, so when we tune, it will make 740ishwhp on pump and 900+whp on ethanol. (I can only get E100 in 55 gallon drums here).

Thank you!!!

Here you go.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/197777-Hollinger-Transmission

Any updates with this build? By far my favorite build going on Prime.

On a side note, if you ever decide you're ready to let go of this car, let me know. I'll fly out there and buy it no questions asked.

Keep up the killer work!

Haven’t been on here in a while but the car is making progress sort of...
Been trying to get it painted for almost 1 year now. Many of my other cars have come and gone since this NSX.

It got new BC Forged wheels custom one off in 18”.

The biggest tire ANYONE has ever attempted to put on a stock fender NSX (not sure if its going to work but I think so).

The first painter was $$$$ and great but an emergency came up and he left the country, second shop is like 10-20K Sq ft, not sure but its big. They were almost finished months ago and little things have set it back. I’m in no rush as I’ve been working on other projects but I’d like to have it soon.

All kinds of trick parts are being installed and its losing more weight than I anticipated since I posted last.

The 02 front end looks OEM quality after lots of work. This car has more heart value and money then what it should have in it. Thanks for the kind words. As soon as its our of the paint shop and I’m on to the next step, I’ll document it more. It’s just been a slow journey so I haven’t bothered much.

Installed so many new parts I don’t even know if I can name them all but I’ll try to list a lot of them below.

-OEM new paint, several stages and complete disassembly of almost every part of the car
-2002+ headlights painted interior black
-Downforce NSXR aluminum battery tray
-Downforce front carbon lip
-Downforce 2002 bumper
-Downforce carbon bumper center piece
-Downforce gas tank carbon panel
-Downforce carbon flat bottom engine panel
-Downforce rear carbon diffuser
-Downforce carbon license plate shroud
-Downforce carbon side vents
-Downforce carbon side skirts
-Downforce headlight wiring harness
-Downforce nsxr hood with custom hidden hood pins
-Downforce radiator shroud
-Carbon rear bumper beam
-Aluminum front bumper beam
-Seibon Carbon rear wing
-Spoon front and rear subframe collars
-Rebuilt NSX Manual Steering Rack
-Helm joint adjustable sway bar endlinks
-2002+ rear tail lights with thick gaskets
-OEM NSXR badges front, side, rear
-Bc Forged 17x8 and 18x10.5 wheels Mickey Thompson and Michelin tires
-Hyperco custom rate springs

I finally figured out how to upload pictures to this forum now instead of hot linking so hopefully this will make it easier to share.

Attachments

• 3A12938E-2785-493D-B615-EC2D692DE011.jpeg
    3A12938E-2785-493D-B615-EC2D692DE011.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,173
  • 146ACEC3-E010-4100-8AF4-092226163FBF.jpeg
    146ACEC3-E010-4100-8AF4-092226163FBF.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,175
  • E756163E-5208-4584-BBD9-14219E900BD3.jpeg
    E756163E-5208-4584-BBD9-14219E900BD3.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,181
  • D50A95CB-B9EF-4CE5-98C8-108052F1BD7E.jpg
    D50A95CB-B9EF-4CE5-98C8-108052F1BD7E.jpg