• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

17/17 and 17/18 Tire Choices - not much left.

That's fine.

A052s are a few seconds faster than the AD08 on track and will likely not last as long on the street.

Brought my car in for service couple weeks ago and asked my service advisor to get me some tires. Decision is up to him and he ordered the A052. When I picked my car up today, I looked at the tire treads and I immediately thought, these tires won’t last long as there barely are any threads on the tires. I wonder if these tires are “safe” to cruise around in colder winter weather(no rain, no snow/ice on the road). No fast or spirited driving. Car is in the Seattle area. Should I have installed all-season tires instead?

I just ran 28 psi cold and 33psi hot front AND rear on 215/40-17 & 265/35-18 Yokohama A052 tires at the track. Turned the best times i've done, tire wear was excellent with -2.3* front camber and -2.0* rear camber, 0 front toe and 2mm toe in at the rear.

For A052 tires, what tire pressure do you recommend normal street use? Tires are 215-17 Front and 255-18 Rear A052. Thanks.

Last edited:
Brought my car in for service couple weeks ago and asked my service advisor to get me some tires. Decision is up to him and he ordered the A052. When I picked my car up today, I looked at the tire treads and I immediately thought, these tires won’t last long as there barely are any threads on the tires. I wonder if these tires are “safe” to cruise around in colder winter weather(no rain, no snow/ice on the road). No fast or spirited driving. Car is in the Seattle area. Should I have installed all-season tires instead?

Those are near track tires, which is why they have not much tread, are terrible at cold temperatures, and can be damaged just by being exposed to temperatures near freezing.

From TireRack page for that tire https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN A052&tab=Sizes

The ADVAN A052 is for drivers who use their street-driven vehicles to participate in high-performance driving schools, autocross, and open track events. The ADVAN A052 is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

More warnings here
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273

In the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose noticeable traction as their properties change from pliable to inflexible. Summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures.

If you downsize the fronts a tiny 10mm to 205, there are some great choices. I put the new Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (aka PS AS4) on my 2005, there's another thread that discusses those tires here.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ate-front-tires-sizes-235-40-17-and-205-40-17

Last edited:
For A052 tires, what tire pressure do you recommend normal street use? Tires are 215-17 Front and 255-18 Rear A052. Thanks.
I wouldn't drive it around freezing weather, but anything above 32*F should be fine. They are soft tires and won't last the longest, BUT they are excellent in the wet (as long as theres no standing water). It depends on what you use the car for and want from it.

I would personally run them at 34psi front and rear for the street.

Last edited:
Uuuuuuuuuuugh. I just learned from Discount Tire that Pirelli has discontinued the Pirelli P Zero Nero, my previous go-to tire, just when I need a new set of rears. I'm on 215/40-17 and 255/35-18 but also have my stock 16-17 setup.

So I'm starting all over again with tire research after six years and three sets of the Pirellis.

What's recommended for a guy who does long road trips like me, including in the rain, with occasional tracking?

Adjunct question: How many miles should mere mortals like me (ie someone who only tracks at NSXPO) get out of a set of AD08Rs?

Uuuuuuuuuuugh. I just learned from Discount Tire that Pirelli has discontinued the Pirelli P Zero Nero, my previous go-to tire, just when I need a new set of rears. I'm on 215/40-17 and 255/35-18 but also have my stock 16-17 setup.

So I'm starting all over again with tire research after six years and three sets of the Pirellis.

What's recommended for a guy who does long road trips like me, including in the rain, with occasional tracking?

Adjunct question: How many miles should mere mortals like me (ie someone who only tracks at NSXPO) get out of a set of AD08Rs?

Conti ECS sounds perfect for what you do.

Conti ECS sounds perfect for what you do.

But not available in NSX-friendly sizes, or has that changed recently and I missed it? (entirely possible LOL)

hugely dependent on alignment specs IMO

True! I'm stock for my '99.

I'm new to the NSX and I'm getting new wheels. What tire sizes can I run on these specs? I have a rough idea but I'm not 100%. Looked on tirerack and saw Falken RT600, Dunlop Direzza III and Advan AD08R. From Falken to Advan is almost double the price. This is going to be used for street and spirited driving no track.

17x8.5 +40 215/40R17?
18x10 +37 265/35R18?

I'm new to the NSX and I'm getting new wheels. What tire sizes can I run on these specs? I have a rough idea but I'm not 100%. Looked on tirerack and saw Falken RT600, Dunlop Direzza III and Advan AD08R. From Falken to Advan is almost double the price. This is going to be used for street and spirited driving no track.

17x8.5 +40 215/40R17?
18x10 +37 265/35R18?

Those specs should be OK. That tire width stagger of 50 mm is reportedly the max for us mere mortals who wish to keep good handling characteristics in this car, stock stagger is 40.

Of those choices most people swear by the AD08Rs, but the Direzzas are also good.

I run 17x8 +38 and 18x9 +40 with 5 mm spacer, with 215/40-17 and 255/35-18.

17x8.5 +40 215/40R17?
18x10 +37 265/35R18?

I'm not a NSX wheel expert, but you should be ok I think with those sizes. The AD08 are going to be much better on wet roads versus the other tires, which are intended mostly for maximum dry grip. If you plan on driving your NSX on wet roads a lot, then the AD08 might be worth it from a safety/control standpoint.

In truth, all of the tires you listed are used as street-legal track day tires. If you have no plans for driving on the racing circuit, you may not need the additional capacity they provide. I would take a hard look at the Yokohama Advan Fleva- it is a step below the extreme tires on the track, but gives you nearly the same street performance with better treadlife, noise and ride quality. Along with the Conti ECS, it's my go-to tire for a street NSX. Yokohama is kind enough to continue making it in the 215/40/17 size.

I'm not a NSX wheel expert, but you should be ok I think with those sizes. The AD08 are going to be much better on wet roads versus the other tires, which are intended mostly for maximum dry grip. If you plan on driving your NSX on wet roads a lot, then the AD08 might be worth it from a safety/control standpoint.

In truth, all of the tires you listed are used as street-legal track day tires. If you have no plans for driving on the racing circuit, you may not need the additional capacity they provide. I would take a hard look at the Yokohama Advan Fleva- it is a step below the extreme tires on the track, but gives you nearly the same street performance with better treadlife, noise and ride quality. Along with the Conti ECS, it's my go-to tire for a street NSX. Yokohama is kind enough to continue making it in the 215/40/17 size.

I looked up those Fleva tires by Yokohama but the largest size in 18" is 245/35R18. Not sure how those will be on a 10.5 wide wheel.

I looked up those Fleva tires by Yokohama but the largest size in 18" is 245/35R18. Not sure how those will be on a 10.5 wide wheel.
Hopefully this helps you somewhat.

This is a Falken RT660 on 235/40-17 on a 17x9 front wheel. Keep in mind the RT660 runs wide. It's probably like an in-between size up. So in my experience a RT660 235 will be like a 235.5 on a standard tire. So just under a 245 in a standard tire. I hope that makes sense. Also note, and to confuse, I have slightly 5-10mm wider front fenders than stock. This tire will be pretty flat on a 8.5" IMO. For stock tire fitment purposes you'll want a 215 for a safe bet. Your average 215 tire on a 8.5 wheel will be a bit stretched but not too much.

AM-JKLUHrHnZ2ptY46ailEjARlnMPuo_6ejlKtxIpsv94Nt9REuLyqIjdZgFV344-ygmPVuIcZ9YcFkCo0m0rwXRt1O3ARVNTtyLOkNipjYM2zpO1SyxDslqZPCZ1LKjAG8AOAKqkXSI3RzlV7tW--MnG3OIdg=w1496-h1994-no

This is a 265/35-18 RT660 on a 10" wheel. Again, this tire already runs wide and there's still a slight bit of stretch on a 10" wheel. A normal 245 tire on a 10.5" tire will be ridiculously stretched. I would have bought a 275 rear but no inventory for that size at the time.
AM-JKLWtwNm1oBhhg8Q9RwWNXOfpas1iOdX7gz-Umc7dblAdI1M8dgY6sKMfpB2MdhWmIvfFCgklXJz1h7UhvcL1LOvFsKsNMjj7uYAj0ZvnLygbM9Ii8-jJ5585O6-sv_e6-_mY5LU4saKRYLQvj6ayjNcOqg=w1496-h1994-no

These are both 215/40-17 "standard" width tires (Maxxis VR-1). The CE28 on the left (grey wheel) is a 8". The SE37 on the right (bronze wheel) is a 8.5". You can sort of make out the added stretch on the right side with the 0.5" wider wheel. It also shrinks down the height profile a tiny bit. Good luck!

AM-JKLVWcbFtIItPaCcXm09kNwdXOfi8o2xFTvkwPdviyaWDSsVhrE0NyPpMZKtPcif5QUsP-iZoSkFr4DWJ42b51wabF9-UZOCSiOUF3lPFlN-jgKYoL2oju0MdN6Y-M9oEzFHllM3CSHND0T848WMdQiu5Jg=w2658-h1994-no

I would take a hard look at the Yokohama Advan Fleva- it is a step below the extreme tires on the track, but gives you nearly the same street performance with better treadlife, noise and ride quality. Along with the Conti ECS, it's my go-to tire for a street NSX. Yokohama is kind enough to continue making it in the 215/40/17 size.

I was all set to go with the Flevas until I found that the rears are only available in 245/35/18. That’s a bit too narrow to put down power for my turbo’d car. I found a set of 255s but they got bought up right under my nose.

I’m likely to go with Kumho Ecsta PS31s as they are now the only complete set of summer tires I can buy in 17-18 size that can handle wet and limited cold weather with decent treadwear. They don’t have a great reputation in the dry grip department, though. Further, I’ve had poor experiences with Kumho tires not being in round. So I’m apprehensive about quality. They are cheap, $558 for a set of four at TireRack. I can wait and see what happens next spring this way.

UGH this sucks

Last edited:
Before you pull the trigger, you might want to consider going with a 205/45/17 on the fronts. It's about 2% smaller than the OEM 215/40, but it might work. This opens you up to a lot of potential options, including the P Zero and Pilot Super Sport.

Also, I know it sounds crazy, but you may want to look at the General AS-05 all seasons. Several Colorado members run these year-round due to our extremely variable weather. They report great success. This tire (an all season!) pulls more lateral G's than the original Yokohama and Bridgestone NSX summer tires- a testament to how far tire technology has come in the last 30 years.

maybe I missed it, but the new Continentals Extreme Contact Forces look really good as a street/track option in 17/18. no?
Continental ExtremeContact Force | 205/50R15 (tirerack.com)

225/40/17
275/35/18
I've been looking at these tires. [MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION] is testing them now. They weren't available yet when I needed tires a few weeks ago and the RT600 is just so cheap in comparison. While I agree with [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] that they might rub.. the extra stretch you'll put on the fronts from the 8.5" should be worth a try IMO. Worse case you remove the fender liner but I really don't think you'll have to. Depends how low you are and your camber settings. I would run these Contis in your size in a heartbeat but hard to justify the cost in my climate vs the Falkens. Try them and let us know!

I've been looking at these tires. [MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION] is testing them now. They weren't available yet when I needed tires a few weeks ago and the RT600 is just so cheap in comparison. While I agree with [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] that they might rub.. the extra stretch you'll put on the fronts from the 8.5" should be worth a try IMO. Worse case you remove the fender liner but I really don't think you'll have to. Depends how low you are and your camber settings. I would run these Contis in your size in a heartbeat but hard to justify the cost in my climate vs the Falkens. Try them and let us know!

Thanks Regan- it's been a long time, but I seem to recall members trying the 225s years ago and there were complaints of rubbing/noise on the fender liners near full-lock. I might be wrong and thinking instead of the 235s many track guys were running.

I think 225/40/17 can work..nobody has much experience because hen's teeth..

Back