• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 NSX "IKHANIC" Build

Hi Guys! thought id post up my 1991 Acura NSX that I picked up recently ...

ive been in the market for an Acura NSX for quite some time, only problem was-- I could never justify spending so much money on it, the NSX has always been my dream car as a child and it still is, I knew I had to have one to complete a void in my life! so I finally found a clean title 1991 Acura NSX with 87k in Baltimore, MD, on August 31, 2012-- flew out from chicago and purchased it!

[[mods the car came with:]]
-RM intake
-ARK DT-S exhaust
-Comptech Forgeline wheels
-Comptech intake manifold cover
-CF side vents

I wanted to find an NSX that needed some TLC, that way I can customize it to my liking! here are some photos the seller sent me

photo19.jpg

photo15.jpg

photo16.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo10.jpg

sdasdaa.jpg

and the Very first picture i took :)

nsx-1.jpg

stayed in Baltimore for a couple of days and drove to chicago non stop (12 hours) .. It was Labor Day weekend so the highways were filled with state troopers (it was very difficult to maintain speed lol)

so I was about 10 minutes from my house and:

487979_10152079372635570_1329543995_n.jpg

54mph in a 45, loud exhaust, failure to transfer/register vehicle, no insurance card ... (seriously, just purchased the car and he wouldnt give me a break) ...

so this is where my NSX journey begins, I've got a lot of plans for it and I am hoping it can all come together in time! I will update this thread as it progresses! :)

Last edited:
so the next day, decided to fully detail the car and "try" to get it to look a little better as far as its condition went

16hrs of cleaning, detailing, polishing.. huge improvement but still flawed! hopefully a repaint in the near future!

246641_639916266004_1005890037_n.jpg

At this time, I also installed an old ARC ti shift knob I had lying around

262949_639916340854_1818779744_n.jpg

----
I personally never liked the tail lights on the 1991-2001 NSX, so i purchased a set of 2002-2005 NSX tail lights with GTC Led mod

487540_641483969314_1828071040_n.jpg

541224_645266583924_2023431164_n.jpg

20120920_122957.jpg

----
Purchased a pair of Zanardi Floormats

263956_641723733824_1229194035_n-1.jpg

----
09.29.2012: maintenance done.. New timing belt, waterpump, alt belt, valve cover gaskets, camshaft plugs, cam seals, front tie rod ends, alignment, axle seal, trans fluid, brake fluid flush, clutch fluid and injector o-rings.. I think shes ready to be my daily driver!

285040_643233942354_1448082437_n.jpg

----
Decided I didn't like the look of the GTC style tail lights, trying to find the 3 bar Style now... reinstalled the 91 tail lights

384249_646804965994_1003962410_n.jpg

Last edited:
The original carpet was beyond disgusting! i tried cleaning it but a lot of the stains were permanent, saw a group buy on this site and purchased the NSX-R Style Red carpet :D

553915_647599768204_1928060205_n.jpg

564918_647940520334_1527760498_n.jpg

(still working on it, i'll upload pics as soon as both sides are done)

Last edited:
Good luck, she's coming along. Sorry cop gave you hell but at least you made it home

Yo. I'm in Chicago but no longer have a NSX to work on. You should hit me up; I'm itching to be around one again and am willing to help/ hang out. Plus, I always bring beer. :D

Daaaang, that carpet looks good! Glad I was able to get on that gruop buy. No regrets here after seeing that picture. Keep up the excellent work!

Good luck, she's coming along. Sorry cop gave you hell but at least you made it home

thank you! yeh, my main concern was getting home safely, i was scared the entire time driving home since its such an old car and I had no idea if it was "healthy" enough for a 12 hour hike

Yo. I'm in Chicago but no longer have a NSX to work on. You should hit me up; I'm itching to be around one again and am willing to help/ hang out. Plus, I always bring beer. :D

come back into the NSX scene! NSX is definitely one of the best/fun cars i've ever owned..... where in Chicago are you? i could definitely use some help/pointers when it comes to this car, its not that easy to work around lol

Daaaang, that carpet looks good! Glad I was able to get on that gruop buy. No regrets here after seeing that picture. Keep up the excellent work!

thanks! carpet looks great, but was a pain to install for some reason-would not sit properly after numerous amounts of cutting...

it looks good but as far as the quality goes, I personally dont think its worth what i paid. i should've upgraded to the 1500 series (i think thats what it was called), this just feels cheap and de-threads easily .. i placed my new floor mats on top of the carpet, went to remove the floor mats and it pulled quite a few threads out (no big deal cuz they'll be covered anyways---but im just unsure if it'll hold up for years)

Hmmm... the red looks great on a car with a black exterior.

A previous owner put that same red in my purple car which doesn't make as much sense to me. I'm not sure if I like it, wondering if I should get rid of it.

Why not get ivory carpet to go with the seats? Gong to replace those too?

Hmmm... the red looks great on a car with a black exterior.

A previous owner put that same red in my purple car which doesn't make as much sense to me. I'm not sure if I like it, wondering if I should get rid of it.

im not sure if i would like that combination either, but the purple on the nsx is dark enough to probably get away with it?

Why not get ivory carpet to go with the seats? Gong to replace those too?

im not a fan of the ivory-- im going to be making red alcantara suede inserts for now and hopefully invest in some different seats in the future :)

thanks! carpet looks great, but was a pain to install for some reason-would not sit properly after numerous amounts of cutting...

it looks good but as far as the quality goes, I personally dont think its worth what i paid. i should've upgraded to the 1500 series (i think thats what it was called), this just feels cheap and de-threads easily .. i placed my new floor mats on top of the carpet, went to remove the floor mats and it pulled quite a few threads out (no big deal cuz they'll be covered anyways---but im just unsure if it'll hold up for years)

I got in on that group buy also, I went with the 1500 series because I personally didn't like the big loop nap to the red carpet. Overall I'm pleased with my 1500 series, like you I had to do a lot of cutting and trimming. With any aftermarket carpet theres gonna be cutting and trimming that needs to be done. I felt the mold they made was close enough to not have many issues with fitment. I took off the old hanger clips from the side console section ( runs the length of the console ) and they definitely helped hold the sides up tight. I also used the large plastic form braces for the sides of the floor carpet to be able to hold it up and clip it to the pinch weld. Utilizing these factory holders definitely made a huge difference in fitment.
Welcome to the community and keep up the good work.
Bob

Love that you are bringing this Berlina Black back from the brink- from your original pics it looks like it was about to go full ghetto! Those seats definitely have to change back to black or just go. Since you are going with the NSX-R carpet look, if you can find them, some Downforce NSX-R seats in red alcantara would look great. Also, the cheesy RM Racing white guages need to go- they look like a kit for a 89 Civic. Shawn might be able to help you find a OEM cluster cheap. Same deal with the shift knob. Either go back to stock or find a NSX-R boot to go with the round knob you have on there. Having the boot hang down like that just looks sloppy.

Unless you like the rims, I would suggest a nice set of OEM 94-97 gunmetal wheels. They look amazing on a Black NSX. You can find them in the marketplace fairly cheap. Is the engine actually a Comptech built engine? or did the guy just by the cover plate? See if you can find an OEM engine plate and airbox- it will do wonders to class up the engine bay.

Definitely looking forward to see what you do!

You guys make tearing out the interior look so easy!!! i think i would have had to get ivory for the interior carpet but, hats off to you for ripping out the old!!

I got in on that group buy also, I went with the 1500 series because I personally didn't like the big loop nap to the red carpet. Overall I'm pleased with my 1500 series, like you I had to do a lot of cutting and trimming. With any aftermarket carpet theres gonna be cutting and trimming that needs to be done. I felt the mold they made was close enough to not have many issues with fitment. I took off the old hanger clips from the side console section ( runs the length of the console ) and they definitely helped hold the sides up tight. I also used the large plastic form braces for the sides of the floor carpet to be able to hold it up and clip it to the pinch weld. Utilizing these factory holders definitely made a huge difference in fitment.
Welcome to the community and keep up the good work.
Bob

unfortunately when i was taking my old carpet off, the old hanger clips were all ripped or missing :( ... im sure that would have helped greatly... i did use some 3m strong adhesive spray (very minimal) just to hold the carpet in place and tight on some of the corners...

Love that you are bringing this Berlina Black back from the brink- from your original pics it looks like it was about to go full ghetto! Those seats definitely have to change back to black or just go. Since you are going with the NSX-R carpet look, if you can find them, some Downforce NSX-R seats in red alcantara would look great. Also, the cheesy RM Racing white guages need to go- they look like a kit for a 89 Civic. Shawn might be able to help you find a OEM cluster cheap. Same deal with the shift knob. Either go back to stock or find a NSX-R boot to go with the round knob you have on there. Having the boot hang down like that just looks sloppy.

Unless you like the rims, I would suggest a nice set of OEM 94-97 gunmetal wheels. They look amazing on a Black NSX. You can find them in the marketplace fairly cheap. Is the engine actually a Comptech built engine? or did the guy just by the cover plate? See if you can find an OEM engine plate and airbox- it will do wonders to class up the engine bay.

Definitely looking forward to see what you do!

lol-- believe me, i know this car needs some cosmetic upgrades to bring it back in shape-- im tryin to find a new gauge cluster because who ever installed these cheap RM gauge faceplate broke the RPM needle, fuel needle and oil pressure needle.. and i think my mph are off as well :eek: ...

as far as seats go, DF seats are wayyy out of my budget for now, hopefully in the near future... and wheels ive decided on will definitely be Advan RS !

as far as the engine goes, the previous owner told me it has the Comptech package on it, i tried researching online about a "comptech package" and can find nothing.. im assuming thats just an intake manifold cover-- any way to tell if its changed or upgraded? did the NSX have any comptech upgrades as far as manifold went?

You guys make tearing out the interior look so easy!!! i think i would have had to get ivory for the interior carpet but, hats off to you for ripping out the old!!

its fun ripping things out! lol... i think it worked in my favor gutting the interior for this carpet install, i found so many bolts/screws missing! my passenger and driver seat each only had ONE BOLT holding the seat!!

The car looks looks great so far. We may have some mutual friends since I hear about it all the time :), pm me if you ever want to get a cup of coffe or tea together.

^^ thanks Paul! where in chicago are you again? most of the people i know is because of my car lol, who do u know?

is your NSX stored away or are you driving it still?

Last edited:
I like how the carpet install came out. Nice! Too bad I'm not a fan of the red color but looks really nice :wink:.

I like how the carpet install came out. Nice! Too bad I'm not a fan of the red color but looks really nice :wink:.

thank you :) i know the red looks weird right now but once i switch out the seats to something different i think it'll flow a little better (unless you dislike red interiors than you'll never like it lol)

looks great

thank you :)

Please dump those seats, carpet looks great

working on it haha... tryin to get custom inserts made in red or black alcantara :D

somewhere in that cars past an owner liked Randy Marchetti:wink:

When buying the car, weren't you turned off by how the previous owner kept it? You have to be some careless slob to get that interior so dirty, makes you wonder if he even kept up with basic maintenance...

good job tho rescuing it, id look into a new steering wheel, redo the seats and fix the center console, also the rear engine vent in faded carbon fiber, id try to locate an oem one

Back