• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 Wont rev past 5200

Couldnt rap my head around why I havent found the issue already with the checks i have done. so went over everything again, found its the tach gauge thats off.

gauge reading 800rpm car reading 800rpm
gauge reading 2k car reading 2200
gauge reading 3k car reading 3600
gauge reading 4k car reading 4800
gauge reading 5k car reading 6500

thanks all that helped going to find someone that can rebuild the gauge now

Google NSX E-Repair. BrianK can do these (he did mine). Other two options are Kaz in the UK and T3TEC in Japan. It's just replacing the capacitors on the circuit board and then calibrating the gauge with the blue plastic screw.

I do hope your issue was just the big offset at the tacho and nothing more.

However, did you confirm that the engine was at 8,3000rpm (MT) when the gauge reading was at 5,200rpm?

Couldnt rap my head around why I havent found the issue already with the checks i have done. so went over everything again, found its the tach gauge thats off.

gauge reading 800rpm car reading 800rpm
gauge reading 2k car reading 2200
gauge reading 3k car reading 3600
gauge reading 4k car reading 4800
gauge reading 5k car reading 6500

thanks all that helped going to find someone that can rebuild the gauge now
I have serviced many gauge clusters and with the big offset ones like more than 2,000rpm, normally, the offset tends to show the exponential function.

From the data you presented above, I have a feeling that your engine was cutting at about 7,000rpm and not at 8,300rpm.

Of course, there is always something new and not following the rest :smile:

Kaz

I do hope your issue was just the big offset at the tacho and nothing more.

However, did you confirm that the engine was at 8,3000rpm (MT) when the gauge reading was at 5,200rpm?

I have serviced many gauge clusters and with the big offset ones like more than 2,000rpm, normally, the offset tends to show the exponential function.

From the data you presented above, I have a feeling that your engine was cutting at about 7,000rpm and not at 8,300rpm.

Of course, there is always something new and not following the rest :smile:

Kaz

If the car is sitting still in neutral, isn't the fuel cut around 7,000? He may be doing the test in the garage.

Back