• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1992 GPW to NA1 NSX R - Mild Conversion

Car is for sale

This thread will document all the changes I've made while personalizing my NSX in the spirit of the original NSX Type R.

I still have some parts on order and not everything is here yet, but I've been hard at work and it's starting to look and perform like an R!

For the record, I've asserted that I will NOT make any changes that cannot be easily reversed. I will NOT sacrifice safety. This means DRL's, Steering Wheel/Airbag, etc will remain intact. I will NOT use non OEM components with the exception of the NSX R mesh engine cover which is no longer available. Luckily, Science of Speed is doing a direct reproduction. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm promised it will be exact in every detail. I WILL maintain a 60/40 weight distribution. I also have all of the original parts so that it can be switched back to stock if I should so choose. I will not be making any major interior modifications.

I will add more photographs soon but it is a rather dull day outside. (*ADDED - Scroll down to see them)

25rjj7q.jpg

Before Pics and a pic of my ITR

2j1q1w1.jpg

k2hifq.jpg

14m9x1f.jpg

Here are a list of the changes committed thus far.

Front

Stereo Head Unit Deleted
NSX R Carbon Fiber Delete Plate
Door Speakers Deleted
Passenger Footwell Sub Deleted
Center Speaker Deleted
Spare Tire + Bracket Deleted
NSX R Front Sway Bar
NSX R Top Chassis Bar
NSX R Lower Chassis Bar

Total estimated weight deleted 47.60 lbs

Rear

Trunk Mounted CD Player and Brackets Deleted
Engine Cover Deleted
NSX R Mesh Cover (SOS)
NSX R Spark Plug Cover
All Tools Deleted Including Jack
NA1 rear steel bumper beam switched to NA2 aluminum bumper beam

Total estimated weight deleted 48.48 lbs

Unsprung Weight

NA1 NSX R Enkei Wheels and centercaps.
Silver Lug Nuts
Bridgestone Potenza RE11's

Total estimated unsprung weight deleted 9 lbs

Starting weight 2976 lbs
Total weight estimated after weight reduction 2870.92

For reference:
Weight of 1st Type S - 2900 lbs
Weight of NA1 R - 2712 lbs
Weight of S Zero - 2800 lbs
Weight of NA2 R - 2900 lbs

MISC

I will additionally be converting to NA2 headers and exhaust. I have the Cantrell adapter kit. The car will be modified with Zanardi/Type S shocks and springs. The Acura logo from the center tail light will be deleted and the front badge has been changed out to the NA1 NSX R badge. Shigeru Uehara recently signed the front of my glove box door.

Last edited:
The Type-R chassis bars are INSTANTLY noticeable for the better. They sharpen up the steering.
Your conversion seems to be somewhat like Sudesh has spent untold time and effort to do to his.
His is documented at NSXCB and it is the business.

Cheers
nigel

Sudesh's threads were a tremendous help during my research. He's also the one responsible for giving me the paint code for the wheels. I've never actually seen his car build thread or anything however. Can you PM me with a link?

Last edited:
What are the odds of that happening?

I actually calculated the probability of glancing at the clock and seeing 11:11 about a year ago. I can't remember the exact chance but it was less than 1%. I did this because it's a number that comes up for me over and over. I also get 7:47 (which is the number of my ITR) and 7+4 =11, 4+7 =11 and I also get 12:34 constantly which if you multiply 1111 x 1111 you get 1234321.

Subscribed! :)

Sudesh's threads were a tremendous help during my research. He's also the one responsible for giving me the paint code for the wheels. I've never actually seen his car build thread or anything however. Can you PM me with a link?

Here are some of the bits I've done, a few more things have been changed since and I'll take some photos of my car and post them up fr you.

NSX-R Style Engine Cover
NSX-R Engine Bay Cover Bolts
NSX-R Instrument Cluster
NSX-R Style Steering Wheel
NSX-R Horn Button
NSX-R Horn Button Trim Ring
NSX-R Steering Boss
NSX-R Steering Colum Surround
NSX-R TCS Blank
NSX-R Door Pocket/Coin Tray
NSX-R Centre Console Pocket/Coin Tray
NSX-R Gear Knob
NSX-R Mesh Gear Gaiter
NSX-R Gear Lever
NSX-R Style Side Vents
NSX-R Clutch Pedal
NSX-R Damperless Joint
NSX-R Coolant Tank Cover
NSX-R Complete Centre Console with Stereo Delete Plate
NSX-R Console Vents
NSX-R Wheel Studs
NSX-R Style Front Bumper Vent Grills
NSX-R Rear Tail light Centre "Black H"
NSX-R Centre Arm Rest
NSX-R Style Engine Plate
NSX-R Black Handbrake Button
NSX-R Style Black Carpet

Stainless Brake Hoses
EBC Redstuff Pads
Varley Red Top Light Weight Battery
Xenon Hid Lights
Stainless Dual Canister RR Exhaust
Clear Front Bumper Indicator Lens
Real Nappa Leather Entry Pad Covers
Real Nappa Leather Hand brake Cover
Real Nappa Leather A Pillar Covers

No Electric Mirrors
No Cruise Control
No Airbags
No Electric Aerial
No Front Fogs
No Sound Deadening
No TCS
No Spare Wheel - Carrier - Brackets

I'm sure I've left out other weight reduction items lol

more to come

This thread will document all the changes I've made while personalizing my NSX in the spirit of the original NSX Type R.

I still have some parts on order and not everything is here yet, but I've been hard at work and it's starting to look and perform like an R!

For the record, I've asserted that I will NOT make any changes that cannot be easily reversed. I will NOT sacrifice safety. This means DRL's, Steering Wheel/Airbag, etc will remain intact. I will NOT use non OEM components with the exception of the NSX R mesh engine cover which is no longer available. Luckily, Science of Speed is doing a direct reproduction. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm promised it will be exact in every detail. I WILL maintain a 60/40 weight distribution. I also have all of the original parts so that it can be switched back to stock if I should so choose. I will not be making any major interior modifications.

I will add more photographs soon but it is a rather dull day outside.

25rjj7q.jpg

Here are a list of the changes committed thus far.

Front

Stereo Head Unit Deleted
NSX R Carbon Fiber Delete Plate
Door Speakers Deleted
Passenger Footwell Sub Deleted
Center Speaker Deleted
Spare Tire + Bracket Deleted
NSX R Front Sway Bar
NSX R Top Chassis Bar
NSX R Lower Chassis Bar

Total estimated weight deleted 47.60 lbs

Rear

Trunk Mounted CD Player and Brackets Deleted
Engine Cover Deleted
NSX R Mesh Cover (SOS)
NSX R Spark Plug Cover
All Tools Deleted Including Jack
NA1 rear steel bumper beam switched to NA2 aluminum bumper beam

Total estimated weight deleted 48.48 lbs

Unsprung Weight

NA1 NSX R Enkei Wheels and centercaps.
Silver Lug Nuts
Bridgestone Potenza RE11's

Total estimated unsprung weight deleted 9 lbs

Starting weight 2976 lbs
Total weight estimated after weight reduction 2870.92

For reference:
Weight of 1st Type S - 2900 lbs
Weight of NA1 R - 2712 lbs
Weight of S Zero - 2800 lbs
Weight of NA2 R - 2900 lbs

MISC

I will additionally be converting to NA2 headers and exhaust. I have the Cantrell adapter kit. The car will be modified with Zanardi/Type S shocks and springs. The Acura logo from the center tail light will be deleted and the front badge has been changed out to the NA1 NSX R badge. Shigeru Uehara recently signed the front of my glove box door.

Very nice!

But if I may, you need to ditch the front fog light, there should be a mesh grill in there! Go with a back H for the Centre badge at the rear, I would say buy the OEM centre panel like mine, but you will need the JDM tail lights to match and that could be costly!

The wheels turned out real nice. Look forward to seeing more updates

Very nice!

But if I may, you need to ditch the front fog light, there should be a mesh grill in there! Go with a back H for the Centre badge at the rear, I would say buy the OEM centre panel like mine, but you will need the JDM tail lights to match and that could be costly!

The wheels turned out real nice. Look forward to seeing more updates

Thanks Sudesh, coming from you that means a lot! I think the tail lights look super clean. Pictures don't do it justice. I realize the JDM tails are darker but actually the USDM ones could technically be tinted. I don't know if I'm going to go that far. I think it's a really clean look the way it is now personally. About the lights in the front.. they are DRL's a mandatory safety item here in Canada on all cars produced after 1989 they aren't the optional fogs you guys have in the UK. There isn't much I'll be able to do about the turn signal lights and the rear reflectors either without skirting the law which I'm not really prepared to do. I like to look at it as though it's a what if scenario.. "What if the NSX R was available in Canada?" This is probably something like how it would be packaged.

Just wanted to post an update here as I've received the NSX R upper and lower chassis bars as well as the front sway bar from SOS. These are the OEM pieces from Honda and here are their weights.

NSX R Upper and Lower Chassis Bars weigh 2 lbs when you add them together.
NSX R Front Sway Bar weighs 5 lbs. When I remove the factory one I'll weigh it for comparison.

again very very nice! let me know if you ever gonna sell it :tongue:

looks perfect! I would top it off with a PRIDE V2 Dual tip exhaust!

Last edited:
Update! Chris from SOS called me yesterday and said that my stereo delete plate and mesh engine cover will be shipped out in exactly 2 weeks. I will have the very first production mesh engine cover from Science of Speed. I'll weigh it and post a complete review.

Update! Chris from SOS called me yesterday and said that my stereo delete plate and mesh engine cover will be shipped out in exactly 2 weeks. I will have the very first production mesh engine cover from Science of Speed. I'll weigh it and post a complete review.

Looking forward to seeing pics

Back