• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1993 black/black, need some advice

Hi,

I've been wanting to own an NSX for years and I finally have the opportunity to purchase one. I found a 1993 black/black with 28k miles in the bay area that I am planning on purchasing and driving home to AZ this weekend. Don at Hill Top Auto will be doing a pre-purchase inspection on Wednesday and if all goes well I will be the new owner on Saturday.

The seller is an NSX owner, not on Prime, who is selling the car on behalf of his friend. I was told that the owner is the original owner and it has a clean title. I ran a Carfax which shows a clean history, but I found some interesting information. It states the car was sold at auto auction when it was a few years old and then shortly after offered for sale by dealer inventory. A few years after that it states a new owner and reports a loan/lien and that it is registered as a lease vehicle. When I asked the seller about it, he said the owner originally leased the vehicle and after the lease was up, the vehicle sat for sale at the dealership (Acura of Concord) for a few years until the owner decided to purchase it. The story kinda makes sense, but I'm not sure if that's how it would be reflected on Carfax. (Sorry for the vagueness in terms of dates, I'm not sure what is allowed per the Carfax report sharing policy. If I've already shared too much, please let me know and I will remove the information).

I decided to try and call Acura of Concord to see if I could verify this information at all. After speaking with the sales associate, he told me that this was too long ago to have in records as they only keep 3-4 years worth and even if they did, they wouldn't be able to disclose the information to me due to confidentiality. He also said it was very unlikely that an NSX sat in a showroom for a few years.

So a couple questions:
1) Does it seem an unlikely story that the owner leased the car, after the lease was up it sat in a dealership for a few years, and then the owner decided to purchase it as his own? Would it likely be reflected differently on the Carfax?
2) Does it seem right that a dealership would only have records on a car going back 3-4 years?

I'm not sure if any of this information would necessarily sway my decision to buy the car, as I trust Don's judgment after all his positive reviews here on the forums. I'm just trying to understand the story a little better and get an additional set of eyes on the situation. Thanks in advance for the input.

Doesn't matter, if the car was clean and properly serviced than that's all that matters. Sellers will say anything for a car to sell like original owner etc etc,but your buying a rare breed nsx that as you probably know by now are hard to find.

It has the original timing belt and water pump, which I would plan to replace right away. What other maintenance would it have needed?

Hi donger, welcome to the NSX community. I hope you're able to secure that 93 coupe and bring it back to AZ. Like Dynamic-uzed-auto said, I wouldn't be too concerned about the history as long as it checks out via a comprehensive PPI. You may need to replace some of the rubber hoses and seals (and tires), since the car is nearly 20 years old now and hasn't been driven much. I would schedule an appointment with Science of Speed after you get the car back to Phoenix and have them check it for any necessary services. Then enjoy the car, and I hope you become an active member of the Phoenix NSX group. Let me know if you'd like to meet up. I'd love to see that NSX in person. :smile:

Edit: since I just went through this myself, I'll share the details for getting an AZ title/registration. First take the car to emissions, then go to the DMV (or a third party title agency, which is what I did to avoid the wait, and it cost an extra $22). A first level inspection is no longer required as of last year if everything matches what they pull up in the database. You just need to bring the previous registration, emissions test result, your driver license, and the old title (if it's with a lien holder, then it's not necessary). If the old title isn't clear, you can get a power of attorney from the seller to retitle the car, or hire a title company to do the leg work to save yourself the hassle (ask nsxter).

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it too much really. As stated above, just make sure the maintenance records are somewhat existent. Definitely overdue for the TB/WP job. Acura of Concord did mine if you wanted to have it completed prior to a drive home, but you have a lot of resources in AZ to leverage as well.

I say this sounds like a decent buy. Keep us posted.

Thanks for all the quick replies. Yea, I figured as long as the PPI comes back good, there shouldn't be too much to worry about.

I'm located in south Tempe, so I'll probably be frequenting Science of Speed. I've already called them up for a quote on doing the timing belt and water pump.

Thanks PHOEN$X for the help on the title/registration. I've been trying to figure out all those details too so the process is as smooth as possible. I almost thought I was going to have to pay sales tax on the purchase as California charges sales tax on private party car sales, but after numerous calls to both AZ and CA DMVs it looks like I'll be fine.

Thanks PHOEN$X for the help on the title/registration. I've been trying to figure out all those details too so the process is as smooth as possible. I almost thought I was going to have to pay sales tax on the purchase as California charges sales tax on private party car sales, but after numerous calls to both AZ and CA DMVs it looks like I'll be fine.
No problem. You're correct, I've purchased private party from CA before and didn't pay any sales tax. I'm not sure about dealer sales, but that doesn't apply to you in this case.

Yea, that's the one. He said the price was lowered a little because of the original timing belt and water pump. Seems pretty reasonable to me for the mileage. Would you guys agree?

VIN: JH4NA115XPT000582

So I got a PM from a fellow Prime member who looked at the car in person about a month ago. He said that the car did not look like it was well taken care of and he also received stories from the seller that just didn't quite make sense. He noticed water in the taillights, wet carpet in the trunk as well as spider webs, dust in the cabin, corrosion under the hood, and odd smells from inside the car.

I've been asking for more pictures of the car since last week and only received two profile shots, which now makes me suspicious of these details being hidden. That along with the weird data on the Carfax lead me to believe this isn't the right car for me.

Thank you all for your help. Looks like my search continues...

Last edited:
You might wanna look at the picture closer. I seen this car on Craigslist a couple of months ago and was interested in the vehicle also. But when you look at the cluster one of the number is slightly off(not align) and the engine bay is super dusty and the center caps r missing. Make sure you look at the car carefully before purchased. I went ahead and pass this car up and purchase a 2000 instead

I've been in contact with this seller as well. To add to the other items listed above, I have been told by the seller that the radio is spotty, so add sending it out for repair as something that needs to be done.

Did you end up getting a PPI from Don's?

Yeah, being out here in NorCal and looking for an NSX for 4 months I have seen that car on craigslist more than a few times. sounded to good to be true. And the description was just plain strange. You know like he is really pushing, trying to sell it to you. If it was the car he says it is it would sell it self. Now we know why. Great job to all, I think donger saved himself some headaches.

It explains why the seller is not a prime member.

Last edited:
It's really too bad... someone could buy it and nurse it back to health, but not for $29k.

If a lot of people have seen the car and then passed, maybe the seller will get the message and lower his price. Then again, maybe he will just hold out for a sucker. :frown:

It's really too bad... someone could buy it and nurse it back to health, but not for $29k.

If a lot of people have seen the car and then passed, maybe the seller will get the message and lower his price. Then again, maybe he will just hold out for a sucker. :frown:

Whats up guys. its been a while since I have been on the prime.
I wanted to chime in on this car, because I know the guy (Alvin) who is selling the car personally.

I have also seen the this car(93 NSX) few times. Read the post of others and seems like words are being lost in translation.

First, Alvin is a GREAT dude. He is more like a big brother I wished I had. with that said, my wife and I bought 87 928S4 from him 2 years ago and had nothing but great experience.

Regarding the 93 NSX. I think the car needs some TLC, but a great deal overall. Some of you who have posted on this tread have seen my Blk 99 and know how anal I am about keeping my NSX clean. Those of you who have not seen my car, feel free to visit the gallery section for a view. I wash my car few times a year( spends most of it time in the garage under a car cover :frown:) and I notice condensation under the taillight) currently have 38,7XX on the odometer.

Funny Smell, spyder web, wet carpet, dust and etc. I think you need to inspect the car your self. Lot of what I heard this tread is NOT true. I am not sure who the OTHER prime member who came and inspected the car. Not what I saw.

Donger or anyone else who is looking for a low mile NSX non-Targa/ Targa. Your search wil be very limited. And if you do come across one that didn't have DUST in the Cabin. I will gurantee you that car owner will be asking LOT more than $29K.

So the real question come to DONGER and others who have posted on this tread. DO YOU REALLY WANT TO OWN A NSX? you can't expect to a low mile car for $20K.

I think (my opinion) this car would be in GREAT condidtion, with some $ spent. but than again doesn't most USED car or a 20 year old car needs some TLC?

Kenny

Last edited:
Welcome donger, hope to meet you soon after you pick up your NSX.

Science of Speed is an awesome shop if you're in the east valley. Peoria Acura is a fantastic NSX supporter and shop if you're on the west side and just need routine maintenance.

Look forward to seeing your new NSX and meeting you!

What up Frank! Its been a long time since I have seen you and the rest of the AZ crew.

Last edited:
Back