• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1994 vs 1997+

I just had an interesting thought. I was thinking about upgrading my 1994 NSX with either headers and exhaust, or supercharger.. tonight, my girlfriend asked me would I ever just want a newer one?

This leads me to my question.. would 15,000 bucks be better spent on a upgrade to a 1997 (t-top, 6 speed, 20 hp, softer suspension, power assisted steering) or headers, exhaust, supercharger?

had anyone here upgraded from the 3.0 to the 3.2? was it a night and day difference?

ERic

I upgraded from a 95-T to a 99-Z. Not night-and-day different, just felt a little torquier. The biggest difference was probably from the improved gearing 1-2 (though I loved being able to hit 80 in 2d in the T!). If your car is otherwise fine, I'd suggest just getting the blower if performance is your priority. If top down cruising is at all important, then you already know what the answer has to be...

I vote for upgrade+BBSC. Unless you don't want the T, 6-speed, bigger engine, bigger brakes, new color, etc. Since you have a 94, the jump wouldn't be as bad for you as someone with a 91-92. I'd say its definitely worth it. Also, the 97 has new headers and exhaust, I believe, over the 94.

Save the $15k, wait for the V8, then take the $15k plus your car and put it down on the new NSX! THEN, post pictures
wink.gif

If this isn't an option, I would recommend test driving a 3.2L. If it still doesn't feel like enough to you, you would probably be better off starting down the path of extreme moding on the 94.

I don't know anything at all about modifying NSXs (or any car for that matter) and I don't race cars or do time trials.

With that said, I would personally spend the money to upgrade to a 97+. I think the 6 spd, T-top and 3.2L are pretty desirable upgrades. Also, I don't think it would cost you $15k to do so. I think the difference in value would be around $10k so if you want to spend the remaining $5k to modify, you could. Also, the money spent for a 97+ will hold more value when you go to sell it than if you spent the money modifying a 94. (I'm sure someone will point out "unless you find someone who wanted those mods anyway and trusts your work") I think I'm the minority in this position but it's just my opinion.

Originally posted by WeakestLink:
the money spent for a 97+ will hold more value when you go to sell it than if you spent the money modifying a 94.

I think I'm the minority in this position but it's just my opinion.

That's my position too. I'm just not sure it's a minority opinion.
wink.gif

No question about it if the topic is value.

You never recoup what you spend on mods and, if anything, mods will hurt the realized value of the car since you may have to spend money to remove them in order to sell it.

I learned with my Vette that it is best not to mod the car at all until you are *really* sure you are going to keep it long enough for the mods to make sense.

Tough question ... but the principle of "never selling the car" has been in my mind ever since I bought the car 8 years ago.

I too was faced with the "upgrade to a newer model" or just beef up the one I have, when the targa first came out.

I decided to beef up the one I have... 98,000 miles and it just received a supercharger and some other toys.

My theory was, do I want the sun beating down on my head that "occasional" day when I take the top off? Or do I want to turn the car into a stronger machine that it was originally designed, and that is a formula 1 inspired race car.

I took the race car route... its partly why I own a 92' to begin with. Coupe, lighter overall weight, no passenger airbag .. etc etc, bottom line for me was in the grand scheme of things if all I care about is performance and enjoyment of the car, then Im happy with what I have.

If I care about getting a sun burn on my head, and "looking cool" while doing it because I have a targa, then I would have upgraded.

Just my opinion
smile.gif

-B

If it's only about performance, don't forget that the 97 is heavier than the 94, so the 20 extra HP or so that you get and the better gearing is really is just about a wash. I find the same is true with Porsche 911's - the earlier ones are lighter and ofter preferred by the real driving enthusiasts. Like the 911, you can always add more power to the earlier model car to have the best of both worlds.

Originally posted by NSXTC:
If it's only about performance, don't forget that the 97 is heavier than the 94, so the 20 extra HP or so that you get and the better gearing is really is just about a wash.B]

I have to disagree with this. 97+ cars post consistently better numbers in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times than the older cars.

Your question was my question a year ago. After a whole lot of research and driving both I but the extra in a '97+. The upgrades in '97 were just too much to ignore.

We all may be in this thought process when the next NSX comes out.

------------------

I am of the opinion that the T is not a desireable upgrade of the newer cars. The additional hp and gearing of the 97+ cars is the main attraction -- the T just adds weight and reduces chassis rigidity. Purely a matter of opinion and me not needing to have the wind in my hair.

I would think it would be more desirable to go to the 1997 if you can get a really good deal.

Looking on autotrader, it looks like a 1994 with higher miles is going for about 38 and lower miles 43.

For a 1997, we are looking at 55-60 depending on miles.

I am hearing things like 2001's going for under 70!!

Anyway, we are talking over 15 grand, closer to 17-18 for the upgrade.

Going the other route, you are talking 4-5K for exhuast+headers and 6K for BB SC. Total around 11K. (more for comptech)

For that 11K, your car will totally smoke a Stock 1997 car, but you still lack things like the T-top (if you like that) and the power steering (again, your preference). Also, the 6-speed is very desirable, but you can get short gears on your 1994 which helps overcome the gearing of the 5 speed.

It all comes down to what you really want from your car.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Back