• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1996 NSX Showing Low Temp When Driving

My 1996 cools down too much when driven. Temp gauge goes down to lowest mark when driving even in 50 - 60 degree weather but when parked and idling heats up to a little below norm. Dealer checked fans and gauge but no problem. Now dealer will replace thermostat but I am not sure that is the problem. Car recently sat for about 6 months with little to no driving but before that did not have this cold temp problem. Any ideas as to cause?

Sure sounds like a typical thermostat stuck slightly open. Had the same problem on several cars myself (last one was my sons Civic Si) and it was always a stat.

Let us know after you change it.

Peter

the dealership quoted me over $400 to change out the thermostat bc they said a full coolant flush is needed to get all the bubbles out.... is this true? :confused:

the dealership quoted me over $400 to change out the thermostat bc they said a full coolant flush is needed to get all the bubbles out.... is this true? :confused:

I'm not sure what the dealer would charge, i do all my own maintenance on my cars. it looks like all you would need to do is pull the intake off and drain the coolant to swap the thermostat and obviously fill back up on coolant when done. $400 still does seem like a lot. the thermostat retails for $35 plus the coolant so maybe $60-70 dollars in parts total.

Last edited:
i had my thermostat replaced locally and they charged me $65 for labor PLUS they did a full flush :) i bought the mugen t-stat for about $80 so $145 total

Got the car back from the dealer with new thermostat installed and no more problems. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

What dealer did u take it to? I wanna be able to tell Cerritos Acura that they are full of #$!%.... :)

Back