• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1996 NSX-T Red/Black 5-Speed 80,100 JH4NA1185TT000249

For those who haven’t been around on prime for 20 years like some of us you may not be aware of how the “old timers” here have tried to look out for the community. You may have missed how often a good deal was snapped up by someone claiming to be looking for their dream car, talking a good game and then turning around and relisting it for $10-20k higher almost immediately. Certain members turned out to be dealers/flippers and by doing so real enthusiasts were missing good opportunities to join our small but close knit community.

We are not against persons making a “profit” on their cars and some have done quite well after holding onto and driving their cars and then selling them for well over their purchase price. But we have tried to do what we can to assist buyers with getting a fair deal on verifiable cars by providing as much information on the history of a car including price. Many of us would help newbies by offering to visit and inspect a car in our area and report back as a courtesy to help with a purchase.

When a flipper/dealer is suspected, we generally provide pricing history so that a newbie buyer who may not be familiar with our documented histories of cars on prime could understand that there may be room to negotiate from an asking price. The market will bear whatever the price should be but by knowing how much a flipper/dealer has in a car helps an uninitiated new member get a fair deal many times.

We have seen many similar stories like this thread where a deal is made and a seller who has been a long time member of our nsx family believes their car is going to a new family member only to learn that the intent was to flip. A lot of us like to know our cars will continue to show up for meets and drives and we welcome the new owners with open arms. Although life changes happen, when we hear that someone intends to keep the car for years and enjoy it and it turns out that they didn’t really intend to be a part of the community but just use it to make a quick profit then you see posts like these.

And when someone legitimately needs to sell shortly after buying because of life or family issues we step up to try to help with a sale when that is known. However, when we get responses like we have here then it raises some red flags and we become protective of our community.

It may be viewed as harsh by some newer members but that is probably because many have not seen some of the stories we old geezers have seen and how much we look to protect the real enthusiasts who actually dream of owing an nsx and joining the family.

Last edited:
I was going to intervene earlier, but it seems like this is worked out. Bob is correct that this sale post looked similar to flipper scams we have seen in the past, so the community moved to investigate. Based on the seller's response, he is just moving on from the car and it does not appear like he's trying to make a quick buck at the community's expense.

People are free to buy and sell on NSX Prime so long as they follow our rules. I do not see any rules broken here. But, I agree that the initial sale post, when viewed together with his prior posts about acquiring the car, felt "off." A good reminder here for full disclosure when selling a car on Prime. One of the key benefits of this site is car history. I hope this very excellent example of a NSX-T finds its way to a deserving long-term home.

Flipping the car or not, we are in a crazy market right now. Even the price of Bacon has gone up 20% in the past year.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've owned about 60 cars in my 50 years of driving, and have sold about 50 of those.

In every case, I tried to buy for the lowest price possible, and sell for the highest price possible.

Isn't that what everybody does?

Instead of protecting buyers from paying too much for cars being offered by evil flippers, maybe you were actually harming sellers by not letting them see the actual market value of their car (which was certainly obviously to the flipper that wanted to immediately resell it for a higher price).

I'd vote to let the free market decide what the appropriate price is for any particular car, and indeed these days that price may be a lot more than its previous selling price even if that was only a few months ago.

I don't see anything in the Prime rules that specifies which seller's motivations for sale are acceptable ones and which are not. Yes, I read the rules.

I think it's certainly appropriate to jump in if a car is being offered with concealed crash, paint, salvage, or flood history.

But other than that, I'd just offer the following advice for folks considering buying an NSX:

1) Always insist on a Carfax. They are not foolproof, but often provide valuable information.

2) Research recent selling prices of similar cars. (Not asking prices, selling prices.)

BringaTrailer completed auctions is a good place for this, look at the trends over the past six months or one year. https://bringatrailer.com/acura/nsx/ (you can filter for model year and year of sale, etc.)

Another site includes the mileage data on the sold cars- very useful. The values of a 10,000 mile car and an 80,000 mile car are very different. You can sort for that info here:
https://www.classic.com/search/?q=nsx

As an example, when I was shopping a year ago, I spent the time to make my own graph of the recent sales data. https://www.flickr.com/photos/92208511@N00/50571165242/in/dateposted-public/

3) Google the VIN. Sometimes you will see other listings by the current owner, or previous listings by previous owners. Or sometimes, evidence of damage.

4) If the seller is on Prime, read his posts and see what kind of a guy he is. If he is on Bringatrailer, read his comments, also see if he's sold other cars there and what the buyers say.

5) Talk to the seller via phone. Use your spidey-sense. If you get anything other than great vibes, move on to the next NSX.

Last edited:
who really cares why he is selling....good luck getting $90K for a 1996 NSX with 81K miles.

y'all should be thrilled if he gets anywhere near that for one of the least desirable years for the NSX

I would never pay that much for an 81K mile NA1 targa, but someone might...some day....good luck:smile:

Last edited:
[MENTION=37085]centerpunch[/MENTION] , he is right. Who cares??? I always wish everybody good and make as much money as they can. Even if they are flippers. We all are here to make some profit. It’s crazy how sensitive everybody is about it. I truly wish every success and happiness.

[MENTION=37085]centerpunch[/MENTION] , he is right. Who cares??? I always wish everybody good and make as much money as they can. Even if they are flippers. We all are here to make some profit. It’s crazy how sensitive everybody is about it. I truly wish every success and happiness.

I guess I am too old school. I have spent way too much time being involved over the years as a mod and flagging transactions so I guess it was force of habit.

You’re right. I no longer care what happens and everyone is welcome to be on their own in every transaction at whatever price the market will bear and whatever risks people want to take in the marketplace with newbie members.

I no longer care what happens and everyone is welcome to be on their own in every transaction at whatever price the market will bear and whatever risks people want to take in the marketplace with newbie members.

I get this.

I guess I am too old school. I have spent way too much time being involved over the years as a mod and flagging transactions so I guess it was force of habit.

You’re right. I no longer care what happens and everyone is welcome to be on their own in every transaction at whatever price the market will bear and whatever risks people want to take in the marketplace with newbie members.

For what it's worth, I do appreciate the 'old school' community looking out for prospective owners.

To all who have chimed in on this thread, thank you.

There are two sides to the same coin in most situations. We all love these cars and the car community has always been one of my favorite places to make friends. As a side note: My wife and I have also owned 50 cars or so over the years (some cool and some not) and we are always dreaming about the next cool car to buy. She loves cars too! Unfortunately we only have a 3 car garage, currently. I want to build a 4 car garage soon as my 5 kids are also into cars too. My oldest son just turned 20 and he has already owned 5 cars, including his latest purchase, a cherry 1999 Black on Black Premium edition Lexus LS 400 which he bought sight unseen, 2,500 miles away! He also has a special edition 94 Red Miata 5 speed and teaches his teenager and college age friend how to drive a stick shift, so that generation is not lost!

I also appreciate people defending the integrity of the site and the forum. I am not here to take advantage of anyone, I hope that has come through my reply messages so far. If I don't sell the car for a good price, I will keep it until the timing is better for all involved.
[MENTION=37085]centerpunch[/MENTION] thanks for the replies above too. I agree, I always try to buy for the lowest price and sell for the best price I can. If I add up all the buys and sells, I am sure I am way in the negative side, I don't really like to think about that number. But I drive my cars, I take them to shows and cars and coffee and meet new people. I add miles and smiles and let people see the cars out in the public, not keeping them in my garage.

Good luck to all buyers and sellers and lets keep the car community fun and inclusive to all!
Derek

I sold the car today to a great guy in Las Vegas. He will be a great addition to the community. I sold the car without the black wheels and tires. Maybe I will be back again someday with another NSX! Thanks to all. Derek

I sold the car today to a great guy in Las Vegas. He will be a great addition to the community. I sold the car without the black wheels and tires. Maybe I will be back again someday with another NSX! Thanks to all. Derek

congrats! Would you mind sharing what it sold for?

Also, would you be willing sell the black wheels? If so, pick up is an option.

Back