• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1997 Red / Camel Targa - Mega Build

Before listing all the details, many big thanks to Jeff and Chris at SOS for answering my many questions and taking such good care of my car. They continue to be a great group work with.

I've owned a lot of cars in my time, see the full list here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlZwPcMkOS-DdElEZHR3Zl85dnZoa00waWR0ZVQ0VXc&usp=drive_web#gid=0 but I don't think I've put as much into any of them as this car.

My GOALS:

Add power
Tighten suspension and handling
Replace / repair any visibly worn parts including interior, body panel, wheels
Get the car on a known service basis by refreshing all fluids

INTERIOR:

Stereo / Console
I went double din with a very nice piece of work by EuroBoutique and at first topped it off with a Kenwood DNN9990HD unit with SiriusXM and Garmin NAV but changed it out for a Kenwood DNN991HD which is really nice, super clear display, very little glare and capacitive touch. I also added a guppy antenna.

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

Speakers / Amp
I work with Marty and his gang at SoundzPlus in Warrenville, IL in the west Chicago suburbs and they changed out my Bose speakers and built me a subwoofer housing that fit between the seats. It ended up looking kind of wonky and didn’t really fit very well with the other rear firewall panels so I took it out and sold it. I was left with the amp providing way more than I need power.

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

Interior Panels / Floor Mats
When I took the subwoofer out I went ahead and replaced all the rear firewall panels with new ones from McGrath Acura in the Chicagoland area. They have an online parts site at www.acuraexpressparts.com I highly recommend them. I also got a new set of floor mats from a another Prime member.

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

Homelink
Installed Homelink as detailed here http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/179141-Great-new-non-mirror-HomeLink-Option

Instrument Trim Rings

IMG_0655.jpg

BODY (All work done by International Auto Body in Elmhurst, IL):

Front Bumper
I replaced both the front bumper skirt and the lip spoiler as they were scratched up a bit

Drivers Side Lower Panel
There were some pretty good scratches that needed to be repaired and resprayed

WHEELS / BRAKES:

Refinishing
I found a good shop in our area Chicago Rim Repair to refinish my OEM wheels. They weren’t too banged up but they look brand new now.

IMG_0638.jpg

Brake Calipers
I had SOS due my calipers black with red letters and braided stainless steel brake lines

SAM_0562.JPG

SUSPENSION (All work done by SOS):

Struts
One of first things I did was replace the struts with a set of Bilsteins. The originals had made it 60K miles and were done.

Sway bars
SOS adjustable anti-sway bars
Honda JDM NSX-R front and lower chassis reinforcement bars

IMG_0645.jpg

Link ends
Installed Cedar Ridge Fab Sway Bar end links on the front and rear and non-compliance front pivot clamps
SOS Rapid non-compliance toe links and rear beam bushings

IMG_0646.jpg

Other
SOS urethane steering rack bushing kit

ENGINE (All work done by SOS):

Supercharger
Full SOS supercharger system

SAM_0500.JPG

Intercooler
I got what appears to be the last of the Laminova intercoolers with the Liquid-Air intercooler install kit

IMG_0641.jpg

Engine Brace
SOS custom fabricated a shock tower brace that fits neatly over all the new gear on top of my engine

IMG_0558.jpg

EXHAUST (All work done by SOS):

Headers / CATs
I opted for the CT Sport Headers and hi-flow SOS cats

SAM_0497.JPG

Muffler
I installed the SOS Endura Lite muffler and I’m really happy with the sound

TRANSMISSION:

Clutch
SOS Sport 350 Clutch & Flywheel with clutch damper delete

SAM_0495.JPG

Clutch Slave and Master
I had this done by Ted at Mullers Acura in Hoffman Estates, IL

Short Shift Kit
I installed a short shift kit, a short stalk lever, Zanardi boot and a Turner knob

IMG_0639.jpg

SERVICE (All work done by SOS):

60 Mile Service
Water pump, timing belt, valve cover gasket, air cleaner, A/C belt, fuel filter, tie rod adjusting bolt, brake master cylinder

Fluids
I had all fluids flushed for clutch, transmission, brakes, oil, coolant, etc. so I could get the car back to a completely known service basis since it didn’t come with much documentation.

Last edited:
Efforting

Now with pictures.

Yes, I just posted several pics of the interior.

Back