• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

20 Years of NSX ownership

I just realized that I had bought my NSX 20 years ago!
The car was 3 years old and had done only 30 thousand kilometers.
What really attracted me was the complete Mugen body kit that made it look quite sensational.
In the beginning the car was used for the week-ends and the holidays in the south of France until one day I got invited to a track-day meeting in Spa Francorchamps the famous F1 track located in Belgium.
It was both exhilarating and deceiving as I could finally use the potential of the car while beeing left behind by Honda Integra's in full racing trim.
This started a never ending list of improvements starting with the brakes ( Porsche kit from Movi't) through the wheels ( Rays CE 28's),the suspension (Bilstein's with Zanardi springs) and then the Comptech supercharger.
This was only the beginning as I had to engineer my own rear brakes to restore the F/R balance and ditch the CTSC that was absolutely useless on track due to heat soak after 3 or 4 laps.
Then came the LoveFab turbo kit, a real piece of magic that put me in the Porsche GT3 category on track.
A road accident almost killed the NSX but allowed me to rebuild the car as a 2002 model with fixed headlights.
Luckily the insurance paid for the rebuild!
Lately the ABS was also upgraded to the NA2 spec with Kaz's help using a S 2000 modulator.
The next best improvement after the turbo for sure.
In the meantime I kept attending the track days organized by the NSX club from Switzerland on most of the F1 circuits in France.
Sadly the club president Jean-Claude Zucker passed away this summer and the fun factor was strongly eroded.
Worst, two weeks ago I went to Nogaro a small track south of my place and I spun the car in the outing lap in pouring rain...
It happened in an opening bend while I was cautiously accelerating but while I caught the spin the car hit the wet grass and slid forever before hitting a tire wall at the entry of the next bend.
I never felt so silly and so furious with myself!
There is no structural damage to the car as only the front bumper, the front headlight and wing need to be replaced.
The bad news continues: it's impossible to get a delivery date for the Downforce components that I want to order through SoS.
Downforce themselves never reply to my mails and a new headlight costs around 1000 USD and much more here in France.
In the end I will probably use components from Route KS supplied by the NSXshop in Japan who are very helpfull.
The real issue is: should I still do track-days with a very expensive car?
If I don't, is it worth keeping the turbo ( making the car illegal from a emission standpoint)?
Last why keep the NSX in a speed limited world?

Yes, Jean-Claude Zucker, the president of the Swiss NSX club passed away a few months ago. I'm not a member of the club. Not sure how it will go on. I guess that a lot depended on him. The website doesn't show an update or so...

track -> back to street: depends on how far away you went with the car/mods and how easy it is to put it back together. My opinion was always that there are cheaper cars (to fix) for the track.
Keeping the turbo: does it make sense to have a car in the garage that is not driven at all?
Funny that you ask the US guys the philosophical question to keep the NSX in a speed limited world. :) Their speed limit is lower than in France. There are plenty of owners in the speed limited world out there who have very much fun with the car even though the speed limit is there. But from your point of view (track, turbo) I understand that it will be some kind of shock.

Maybe, you find an answer to your questions during the next winter...good luck and stay safe!

Sorry: last but not least: congratulations to your 20 years ownership!

Last edited:
If you can I think you should keep doing what you like and enjoy. Nobody can answer that for you.

If you can I think you should keep doing what you like and enjoy. Nobody can answer that for you.

You are right but sometimes one sees the bottle as half empty...

I have similar thoughts all the time and I'm only at 19yrs ownership... I decided to just track the hell out of it because it makes me smile if I end up in the wall I will be pissed but I will also believe that I did the right thing by the car and then go build a tube frame and do it all again ;-)

Back